PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Nutrition thoughts?

Ladylifter2014
06-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Hey Folks...

I've signed on to do my first powerlifting meet in July. My number aren't super impressive but it's a work in progress. I've been following a plan a nutritionist gave me but she really hasn't dealt with powerlifting before so I'm seeking more advice.

I'm 5'9
Age 39
BF29%(Goal 20%)
Weight 156(Goal 148)
Good bloodwork and sleep.

Schedule:

Powerlift 3x a week
Accessory 2x a week
Cardio intervals 2x a week
walking as much as possible.

Nutrition:

She has me at 1750 calories per day
Sugar below 35gms
Protein 150
Fat 45
Carbs 150

I'm not starving, my gains are still happening but my fat % is not budging. All the woman who train in my gym powerlift and have a BF% of well below 20%. My goal is to lose BF% while gaining muscle. I'm getting a little tighter but wishing the results would speed up. Am I simply being too impatient? Been working on this for 6 months.

I appreciate the feedback..

Barb

ironwill2008
06-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Hey Folks...

I've signed on to do my first powerlifting meet in July. My number aren't super impressive but it's a work in progress. I've been following a plan a nutritionist gave me but she really hasn't dealt with powerlifting before so I'm seeking more advice.

I'm 5'9
Age 39
BF29%(Goal 20%)
Weight 156(Goal 148)
Good bloodwork and sleep.

Schedule:

Powerlift 3x a week
Accessory 2x a week
Cardio intervals 2x a week
walking as much as possible.

Nutrition:

She has me at 1750 calories per day
Sugar below 35gms
Protein 150
Fat 45
Carbs 150

I'm not starving, my gains are still happening but my fat % is not budging. All the woman who train in my gym powerlift and have a BF% of well below 20%. My goal is to lose BF% while gaining muscle. I'm getting a little tighter but wishing the results would speed up. Am I simply being too impatient? Been working on this for 6 months.

I appreciate the feedback..

Barb

For someone your size, chasing two goals will leave you realizing neither.

Decide on a single goal---get stronger or get leaner---and then eat and train to move you in that single direction.

BTW, your fat intake is low, your calorie intake is low, and sugar isn't the enemy. You'd do well to read the stickies at the top of this forum, get yourself up to speed on proper nutrition, and then say goodbye to the "nutritionist" who apparently doesn't know anything about weight training.

SuffolkPunch
06-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Unless you have to fit into a weight class, you should be aiming to gain muscle mass.

There is no need to hit exact macros. I would put it more like this:
Calories: 10% above maintenance
Sugar below 100gms
Protein 120g or more
Fat 50g or more
Carbs: Whatever is left over

Notice that the fat/pro numbers are minimums which can go up (within the bounds of your calorie allowance) - this makes meal planning easier.

Ladylifter2014
06-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Thank you for your insight. I wanted to hit the 148lb weight class which is possibly unreasonable.

I appreciate the feedback and will familiarize myself with the pinned topics up top.

B

Unless you have to fit into a weight class, you should be aiming to gain muscle mass.

There is no need to hit exact macros. I would put it more like this:
Calories: 10% above maintenance
Sugar below 100gms
Protein 120g or more
Fat 50g or more
Carbs: Whatever is left over

Notice that the fat/pro numbers are minimums which can go up (within the bounds of your calorie allowance) - this makes meal planning easier.

SuffolkPunch
06-09-2014, 07:36 AM
If you weigh in the day before, you can cut carbs for a week leading up to the meet - drop water weight the day before and reach 148. Then stuff your face with carbs in preparation for the meet.

naturalguy
06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
For powerlifting your primary goal should be maximum performance in the gym. You can get leaner and stronger at the same time if you do it right.