PDA

View Full Version : This is why you dont stand under a tree in a lightning storm...

induced_drag
06-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Or make posts about pants and shirts not fitting. Below can be the end result.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--TmAO-dc---/z5otjcyqxcykwixscumo.gif

Z7Xd7nHBfDA

Wayne Evans
06-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Pretty stunning video captured there.

(I'm reminded of a personal experience......
Our unit was staged at an LZ in the rice paddies west of Tam Ky during hellish monsoon rains and awaiting to be chopped to a new LZ in the hills of Hiep Duc in early August '66.
Then, we heard the very loud, unmistakable crack of the lightning....and screams. (7) of my Brothers were struck and (4) were KIA in an instant. I was about 50 yards from one, I ran over to assist. A corpsman was quickly there but it was too late. We felt extremely vulnerable and were not thrilled about having to get into choppers after that. :) ).

Back to topic....

paolo59
06-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Incredible! I saw a special some months ago on lightning on the weather channel. Fascinating, beautiful, and frightening all at the same time!

Bando
06-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Pretty stunning video captured there.

(I'm reminded of a personal experience......
Our unit was staged at an LZ in the rice paddies west of Tam Ky during hellish monsoon rains and awaiting to be chopped to a new LZ in the hills of Hiep Duc in early August '66.
Then, we heard the very loud, unmistakable crack of the lightning....and screams. (7) of my Brothers were struck and (4) were KIA in an instant. I was about 50 yards from one, I ran over to assist. A corpsman was quickly there but it was too late. We felt extremely vulnerable and were not thrilled about having to get into choppers after that. :) ).

Back to topic....

damn. survive the hell that is Vietnam only to get killed by lightning:eek:

pharmamarketer
06-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Wow. That was unreal. You wouldn't have a second to react under that tree. I fly a lot for work and had to fly near lightning a few times. It is incredible looking from a plane but not fun to fly near regardless of the precautions and safety guards on the plane.

Corbi
06-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Anyone ee the video from a few months back of the guy walking and gets nailed by lightning? Survives, shakes it off and gets up and then gets nailed again.

Bando
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Anyone ee the video from a few months back of the guy walking and gets nailed by lightning? Survives, shakes it off and gets up and then gets nailed again.

was fake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwr1a146gDg

Old-Time-Lifter
06-08-2014, 04:46 PM
There was a guy back home that worked as a farmhand, he once touched a section of irrigation pipe to a highline... he survived. A year or two later he was struck by lightning... he survived. Then a year or so later he had his little boy with him (about 4 yo or so) and as he was about to get into his pickup truck the little guy pulled the trigger on a loaded shotgun hanging in one of those window gun racks you used to see, blowing the side of his Dad's head half off... and he survived that too.... Some folks are just hard to kill I guess.

Tmax55
06-08-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm just happy if I survive leg day.

Bando
06-08-2014, 06:56 PM
a year or so later he had his little boy with him (about 4 yo or so) and as he was about to get into his pickup truck the little guy pulled the trigger on a loaded shotgun hanging in one of those window gun racks you used to see, blowing the side of his Dad's head half off... and he survived that too.... Some folks are just hard to kill I guess.

To have a loaded shotgun in your window rack with the safety off tells me he was operating with a 1/2 of a brain to begin with. Good greif. In my state, to carry a loaded gun of any kind in your car you need a badge. Sucks when you're jumping in the back of a truck to go 300 yards to the next field to push deer.

Old-Time-Lifter
06-08-2014, 10:02 PM
To have a loaded shotgun in your window rack with the safety off tells me he was operating with a 1/2 of a brain to begin with. Good greif. In my state, to carry a loaded gun of any kind in your car you need a badge. Sucks when you're jumping in the back of a truck to go 300 yards to the next field to push deer.

He wasn't the brainiest guy to begin with and to top it off he was an alcoholic.

Wayne Evans
06-08-2014, 11:43 PM
damn. survive the hell that is Vietnam only to get killed by lightning:eek:

Yes....one does not normally expect to have their demise etched on a lightning bolt....under any circumstances.

Carry on....

beachguy498
06-09-2014, 03:52 AM
Where my brother lives, they had a big tree taken out by lightning. Apparantly the lightning boils the water out of it when it strikes. This was a big maple and it was just decimated in a literal flash. There was a sizeable portion of the tree just gone.

paolo59
06-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Where my brother lives, they had a big tree taken out by lightning. Apparantly the lightning boils the water out of it when it strikes. This was a big maple and it was just decimated in a literal flash. There was a sizeable portion of the tree just gone.

The temperature of a bolt of lightning is hotter than the sun! That is just hard to imagine for me. Ha! And to think, there are hundreds of thousands of lightning strikes all over the world daily. That kind of wild, unbridled, fraction of a second unimaginable energy let loose is mind boggling and awe inspiring. There are few things more spectacular, and dangerous, than an electrical storm!

ArchAngel'73
06-09-2014, 07:39 AM
According to this thread

Thor > Chuck Norris

How can this be?

Requitor
06-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes....one does not normally expect to have their demise etched on a lightning bolt....under any circumstances.

Carry on....

True, but as far as ways to go.... Blasted by lightning is up there...