PDA

View Full Version : LA Fitness opening up this month (across from my gym)

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 06:57 PM
So LA fitness is opening up this month right up the block from my gym, it is HUGE!!!

So I stop by to visit (as they are taking members from my current gym, Dolphin Fitness)

The guy giving me the tour (gym is still not open) asks me "What is the first thing you want in a gym? and I replied free weights lost of free weights.... he looks at me and says, yeah I know but what do you really want or expect a gym to provide? I looked at him and said free weights....

So he gives me a puzzled look and he starts his rehearse tour, he shouts out 64 thousand square feet!!

He shows me a huge room for spin glass - I said not interested

He shows me "clean" showers and a boat load of "clean" lockers - Not interested

Huge space to shave, groom - Not interested

Huge cardio room - Not interested

Kettle bells and some kind of dynamic pylo some sh!t - Not interested.

Huge swimming pool - Not interested

Huge sauna - Not interested.

A track - not interested.

A steam room - Not interested..

A whole section of machines - Somewhat Interested.

Then finally the weight room...F'cking awesome.

6 squat racks two with platforms to perform SLDL
12 benches
6 cages
5 pull up bars
5 dip bars
Loads and loads of dumbbells
GHR machines
Sitting calf raises like 5
6 leg press
6 hack squats

And so much more...

I said now you are talking!!

Price? 199 to join and 25 a month or 99 to join and 40 a month.

ajdahlheimer
06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Can't argue with those rates, BH. Sounds like you're all set up....

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Can't argue with those rates, BH. Sounds like you're all set up....

Yeah I kinda feel bad for my current gym though, I know they are going to close them down :(

It is the last bodybuilding gym left in the Bronx.

quicksand jesus
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
How much do the charge for the Dolphin by you? Mine is up to $350 per year

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 07:11 PM
How much do the charge for the Dolphin by you? Mine is up to $350 per year

$199 for the year.

Looking massive in the AV Quick!

x-trainer ben
06-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Just know that if you train others , i have heard that they terminate your membership. This has been mentioned half a dozen times on this site; check that out before you join.

swooshie
06-07-2014, 07:17 PM
I work out at an LA Fitness. They will deal with you on your contract. I got them to waive the initiation fee and they dropped the monthly fee to $35 ... and it will never go up.

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah I heard about the mother and her son, pretty f'cked up.

swooshie
06-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Just know that if you train others , i have heard that they terminate your membership. This has been mentioned half a dozen times on this site; check that out before you join.

That's true. Happened to a few friends of mine

quicksand jesus
06-07-2014, 07:21 PM
$199 for the year.

Looking massive in the AV Quick!

Thanks man. Busting my ass. Now trying to eat cleaner.

$199 is a great price . Why do you want to leave there. Or are you like me who likes to join multiple gyms

Fishman15
06-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Our little neighborhood gym recently got bought out by LA Fitness so I am now a member of LAF. My current fees of 15.99 per month are locked in and can use any LAF in the country other than the "Signature Clubs" for no additional charge. We had a pretty run down and dirty pile of crap for a gym but things have been slowly improving now. We have new equipment coming which is nice but we really need a new layout design to go with it. I guess I should be thankful our one urinal actually flushes now...:rolleyes:

Fishman15
06-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah I heard about the mother and her son, pretty f'cked up.

I thought that was Planet Fitness?

Brackneyc
06-07-2014, 07:28 PM

One thing to have a workout partner. Another thing to make a living using someone else's facility without permission.

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks man. Busting my ass. Now trying to eat cleaner.

$199 is a great price . Why do you want to leave there. Or are you like me who likes to join multiple gyms

I don't want to leave, but I know they are going to close down.

The only thing a like about LA fitness is the amount of weights they carry. I couldn't care less for their cleanliness.

The guy was making a big thing about the showers/ocker rooms etc etc .

cowboybiker
06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
How does it feel having the west coast invade New Yawk?

Brackneyc
06-07-2014, 07:36 PM
The guy was making a big thing about the showers/ocker rooms etc etc .

Hell yes he was...that is where all the magic happens. :D

bodyhard
06-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Wait a minute, this gym is going to be filled with gay guys? :eek:

JohnSmeton
06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
La fitness has some good equipment-at least the one I trained at last year in white marsh, Maryland. Had an upstairs of weights and downstairs-enjoyed it

I personaly like to switch gyms every now and then for different equipment and atmosphere

cowboybiker
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Wait a minute, this gym is going to be filled with gay guys? :eek:

And old guys walking around nekid.

Fishman15
06-07-2014, 07:58 PM
And old guys walking around nekid.

Think of all the new, fresh, and clean counters to rest your old man junk on. BH has got it made...:D

Cass40
06-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Even if both the trainer and the trainee have a membership?

I go to L.A Fitness and a lot of people train other members.

cowboybiker
06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Think of all the new, fresh, and clean counters to rest your old man junk on. BH has got it made...:D
And new hand dryers to blow dry teh sacks.

Fishman15
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Hell yes he was...that is where all the magic happens. :D

Uhh you mean like a "Magic Carpet Ride"?

acrawlingchaos
06-07-2014, 08:26 PM

I go to L.A Fitness and a lot of people train other members.If it was my facility, I would kick them out. You are paying to use the equipment as a member, not for profit... the profit end is for those that put the time and money into building a business.

cowboybiker
06-07-2014, 08:33 PM
If it was my facility, I would kick them out. You are paying to use the equipment as a member, not for profit... the profit end is for those that put the time and money into building a business.

Who said anything about getting paid?

jeffaus
06-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Wait a minute, this gym is going to be filled with gay guys? :eek:I thought that was the reason you were joining. That, or to become a cardio bunny. Now Im confused :confused:

RebeccafromLA
06-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I love LA Fitness....so glad they bought out my old gym (Bally Total Fitness). I got the Bally's membership when I turned 18 and their gyms were OK...but LA Fitness is on a whole different level. I live in Los Angeles. There are about 6 LA Fitness Locations within a 10 minute drive of my place and I can go to any one with my membership...love it.

Cass40
06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
If it was my facility, I would kick them out. You are paying to use the equipment as a member, not for profit... the profit end is for those that put the time and money into building a business.

How do they know who's getting paid? It could be a trainer, friends working out together, boyfriend training a girlfriend etc.

turbodiesel_kai
06-08-2014, 05:27 AM
isn't it funny how they make such a big deal about all the stuff real lifters don't care about?

I"ve been a member of LAF for years, it's pretty decent, they do always seem pretty negotiable on rates.

ajdahlheimer
06-08-2014, 06:11 AM
I got the Bally's membership when I turned 18.....

Go on........

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HvnSTQklYIs/TchzUJqvhOI/AAAAAAAAA14/d5bJ9PkcZ1E/s280/I-Griffin-8x06-Glenn-Quagmire-Promo-03.jpg

mcbourque
06-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Our little neighborhood gym recently got bought out by LA Fitness so I am now a member of LAF. My current fees of 15.99 per month are locked in and can use any LAF in the country other than the "Signature Clubs" for no additional charge. We had a pretty run down and dirty pile of crap for a gym but things have been slowly improving now. We have new equipment coming which is nice but we really need a new layout design to go with it. I guess I should be thankful our one urinal actually flushes now...:rolleyes:

My gym is the same as fishman, VQ bought over my LAF, just another location in Seattle.

My rate is $18 a month each for me and my two sons. They are really good at maintaining the weight room area. I also noticed that the bad (younger) trainers got fired after they didn't pass their evaluation even LAF took over.

I train my 12 and 14 yo there and after that story came out, I asked them and they said not a problem, we don't care. There is a father and grand-pa training two late teens and again no problem.

So far since we've been bought over, I've been happy with the change.

mcbourque
06-08-2014, 06:27 AM

I go to L.A Fitness and a lot of people train other members.

It's standard policy in any gym, if you train a family member or a friend (everyone has a membership) and there's no obvious exchange of money, then it's not a problem.

If you are a known trainer and train for money (even if both have memberships) then the gym will stop you.

Every gym I worked at, both US and Canada, has a similar policy.

PrivateFreedom
06-08-2014, 06:49 AM
That's what I pay per month now and my gym is about a 1/3 the size!

Corbi
06-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a decent place.

Wish I lived near Wrigley Field in Chicago, I would join here in a second http://www.quadsgym.com/

bodyhard
06-08-2014, 07:19 AM
I just sent him a text if I can use chalk and he said yes, so that is a plus right there

acrawlingchaos
06-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Who said anything about getting paid?

How do they know who's getting paid? It could be a trainer, friends working out together, boyfriend training a girlfriend etc.If a particular facility has had problems in the past with this issue, they will adopt a zero tolerance attitude.

It's their facility, their rules.

cowboybiker
06-08-2014, 07:40 AM
If a particular facility has had problems in the past with this issue, they will adopt a zero tolerance attitude.

So if someone was arching their back on deads and asked for help I guess he's **** out of luck.

bodyhard
06-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Yo ACC, you belong to mad crews man, lol

Cass40
06-08-2014, 07:50 AM
So if someone was arching their back on deads and asked for help I guess he's **** out of luck.

I assume if they suspect that someone is a paid trainer, they will interfere. I guess most of the time it would be obvious, but I was just wondering how would they know the difference in all cases.

pharmamarketer
06-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Hey BH I went to Power House in the Bronx a few times. Ever been to that gym?

skiier54
06-08-2014, 08:00 AM
I have one near my house and it's amazing. Beautiful interior and lots of people, so very motivating. Turned away because of the rates though :/ My gym is $15/month while that's like $40/month. True LA gives you more services but idk if it's worth almost 3x price.

acrawlingchaos
06-08-2014, 08:08 AM
So if someone was arching their back on deads and asked for help I guess he's **** out of luck.If he was arching his back, I would assume he was doing the move correctly. If he was rounding his back... he would be sh*t out of luck. :p

I assume if they suspect that someone is a paid trainer, they will interfere. I guess most of the time it would be obvious, but I was just wondering how would they know the difference in all cases.If it has been brought to managements attention, it won't take long to start seeing obvious patterns. It isn't difficult to find people trying to turn a profit.

Yo ACC, you belong to mad crews man, lolIf you happen to think of anything appropriate to add let me know.

We have a LA that will be opening up here as well. I'll probably be looking into it as soon as it's built. Reviews sound good so far.

Cass40
06-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Lol...the L.A Fitness I go to, has barely 2 star rating on yelp. It is dirty, has broken machines, and practically no women wanna train there because of all the creeps.
It used to be Bally's, and almost nothing has changed after they became L.A Fitness. I love my gym, though, and I don't need no fancy gym.
I hardly have to wait to use the squat rack, and that's what matters.
Weights are all over the place, though. Sometimes it's like where's Waldo trying to find them. Yesterday I couldn't find the dumbbell I needed at all. Finally found it from a different floor in a group exercising room! Someone had carried it to the furthest spot from the weight room and not bothered to return it. But that's if I go late at night. In the mornings it's nice and quiet.

cowboybiker
06-08-2014, 08:26 AM
If he was arching his back, I would assume he was doing the move correctly. If he was rounding his back... he would be sh*t out of luck. :p

And this is why I need to wait for the coffee to kick in before posting.

mcbourque
06-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I assume if they suspect that someone is a paid trainer, they will interfere. I guess most of the time it would be obvious, but I was just wondering how would they know the difference in all cases.

Usually all trainers in a town know each other. So the in-house trainers would know if an out-of-house trainer comes in.

Imagine you are an in-house trainer who has to give a cut to the gym. You will go complain to the manager if you see out-of-house trainer.

A gym wants to keep their good trainers happy otherwise those good trainers will go somewhere else. So they won't allow out-of-house trainers.

It's pretty easy to spot if you are looking for it.

Karl_Hungus
06-08-2014, 08:56 AM
BH, that was my exact reaction when I was looking for a gym a couple of years ago. No power rack/squat rack automatically disqualified any gym from consideration, no matter what their other amenities were. The only thing I cared about was free weights, heavy DB's and a power rack and/or squat rack. When they were walking me around the gym, I usually stopped them mid-tour and asked to see the free weight area. If it didn't have what I liked, I said "not interested" and left immediately.

If a particular facility has had problems in the past with this issue, they will adopt a zero tolerance attitude.

Of course .... but if I were BH, I would think twice about joining the gym given that he trains with his sons. Recent press for this chain indicated that merely commenting on your lifting partner's form (or assisting a lifting partner) constitutes "training" and may therefore be grounds for having your membership revoked. They may be isolated cases, but one member (of O35) on this very site said this exact thing happened to him while working out with his wife.

Cass40
06-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Of course .... but if I were BH, I would think twice about joining the gym given that he trains with his sons. Recent press for this chain indicated that merely commenting on your lifting partner's form (or assisting a lifting partner) constitutes "training" and may therefore be grounds for having your membership revoked. They may be isolated cases, but one member (of O35) on this very site said this exact thing happened to him while working out with his wife.

When I read the article about mother and son being kicked out from L.A fitness, it said "where she was a member".
Why wouldn't the article say "where they both had memberships?" If also the son had a membership?

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25385173/mom-son-kicked-out-of-gym

Karl_Hungus
06-08-2014, 09:16 AM
When I read the article about mother and son being kicked out from L.A fitness, it said "where she was a member".
Why wouldn't the article say "where they both had memberships?" If also the son had a membership?

You are right .... there could be more to the story.

mcbourque
06-08-2014, 09:25 AM

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25385173/mom-son-kicked-out-of-gym

Don't forget she was also a professional trainer. Potentially a threat to the other trainers. Maybe she also trained people there beside her son.

Not taking sides here but there might be more to that story.

Like I commented before, the LAF staff and trainers at my gym know I train both my sons (but I am definitely no threat to them so they could not care less LOL)

StressMonkey
06-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I took a tour of one several years ago and had the same experience. Don't care, don't care, don't care where are the weights?

The sales guy was super pushy. I balked at the insane sign-up fee and the fact that they closed earlier than the gym I was already a member at.

Bando
06-08-2014, 01:39 PM
How heavy do the dumbells go BH? I use that as an indicator of how good a gym is.

Corbi
06-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I took a tour of one several years ago and had the same experience. Don't care, don't care, don't care where are the weights?

The sales guy was super pushy. I balked at the insane sign-up fee and the fact that they closed earlier than the gym I was already a member at.

Same deal here when I toured the Princeton club a number of months back, I had a 2 month membership thru Groupon and they gave me the sales pitch. Running track, pool, cardio crap, yoga room, basketball courts, handball courts, etc...told the woman 4-5 times I didn't care and only wanted to see the free weight area.

Corbi
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
How heavy do the dumbells go BH? I use that as an indicator of how good a gym is.

The ones at my gym go to #145, how does it rank? :D

Bando
06-08-2014, 06:49 PM

pretty damn good, they only go to 125 in my gym. My buddy is joining a gym with 200 lb DB's :mad:

Corbi
06-08-2014, 08:00 PM
pretty damn good, they only go to 125 in my gym. My buddy is joining a gym with 200 lb DB's :mad:

I see a few guys who can handle the #145's, don't know a single person who could deal with #200's.

Bando
06-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I see a few guys who can handle the #145's, don't know a single person who could deal with #200's.

I think it's a "If you build it, they will come" thing. Had a couple guys in my gym that were incline repping the 125's with ease, but I think they've moved on. There is nothing more inspiring IMO than some guy on the next bench throwing up weights you always thought were impossible.

Karl_Hungus
06-08-2014, 09:11 PM

The only thing I would like heavy DBs for is rows.....and my gym only goes up to 120. Not great. One time in Montana, I stopped by a Gold's Gym to workout while on vacation. They had DB's up to 150. I went to grab them, and they actually had a layer of dust on them...which led me to believe they hadn't been used in quite some time. If I were to guess, the most action a 200 lb DB would see is college dipsh!ts challenging each other to rack and unrack them. I kinda doubt they would much (if ever) be used as part of a serious workout.

frozensparky
06-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Mine just went to 160s recently. We only had 120s and one of the regulars would tape 5lb plates onto the ends. He wanted to go higher but told the owner no way was he trusting duct tape to hold 2 5s on each end. The owner ponied up and brought in up to 160s. She knows how to keep long termers happy

Richie71
06-09-2014, 12:27 AM
isn't it funny how they make such a big deal about all the stuff real lifters don't care about?

Most important thing about sales: Listen to your client. Pisses me off when sellers don't do that and just go into their standard spiel without understanding their client and tailoring the response accordingly.

beachguy498
06-09-2014, 04:03 AM

LA Fitness has been out by me on the Island for years.

VICgotgame
06-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Lol fuk a bodybuilding gym! Ask Jay Cutler to pic and I'm pretty sure he's go with the more modern and clean looking gym!

Sucks how they'll make a smaller company gym to close down tho..

Postmort3m
06-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Most important thing about sales: Listen to your client. Pisses me off when sellers don't do that and just go into their standard spiel without understanding their client and tailoring the response accordingly.

Agreed, but it's probably a script and they have to mention everything. LA Fitness drives their sales people hard so they get shopped all the time to make sure they're saying what their supposed to.

MiamiSpartan
06-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Yup....been a member since 2000... It'll be great for 3-5 years....and then It'll go to crap for another three years or so before they renovate...
I'm lucky that I live halfway between two clubs....by the time one gets crappy, they've fixed the other one....

mcbourque
06-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Today, they told us they are taking all the TVs off the treadmills because it cost to much in electricity.
I don't do cardio so I don't care, but many people are pretty upset LOL

StressMonkey
06-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Today, they told us they are taking all the TVs off the treadmills because it cost to much in electricity.

I would be pissed. Never heard of a gym doing that before.

Brackneyc
06-09-2014, 07:58 PM

TV makes cardio bearable.

Fishman15
06-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Interesting Marie, I was told by our guy here that the new treadmills were all going to have some sort of fancy tv that will be able to flip up to watch or down if you don't want to watch it. I run quite a bit on them so i like something to look at to distract me from reality a bit.

mcbourque
06-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Interesting Marie, I was told by our guy here that the new treadmills were all going to have some sort of fancy tv that will be able to flip up to watch or down if you don't want to watch it. I run quite a bit on them so i like something to look at to distract me from reality a bit.

Maybe they took our TVs to put in your location.
I though it was a pretty bad business decision considering we have two nicer gyms in the area. People like those TVs.

Capt_Lou
06-10-2014, 06:24 AM

Gym by my house goes up to 140, the one by my work goes to 200.

I use to the 140's only for heavy DB shrugs.

I use the 200's for a heavy DB curl ;)

OutOfStep
06-10-2014, 06:58 AM
So LA fitness is opening up this month right up the block from my gym, it is HUGE!!!

So I stop by to visit (as they are taking members from my current gym, Dolphin Fitness)

The guy giving me the tour (gym is still not open) asks me "What is the first thing you want in a gym? and I replied free weights lost of free weights.... he looks at me and says, yeah I know but what do you really want or expect a gym to provide? I looked at him and said free weights....

So he gives me a puzzled look and he starts his rehearse tour, he shouts out 64 thousand square feet!!

He shows me a huge room for spin glass - I said not interested

He shows me "clean" showers and a boat load of "clean" lockers - Not interested

Huge space to shave, groom - Not interested

Huge cardio room - Not interested

Kettle bells and some kind of dynamic pylo some sh!t - Not interested.

Huge swimming pool - Not interested

Huge sauna - Not interested.

A track - not interested.

A steam room - Not interested..

A whole section of machines - Somewhat Interested.

Then finally the weight room...F'cking awesome.

6 squat racks two with platforms to perform SLDL
12 benches
6 cages
5 pull up bars
5 dip bars
Loads and loads of dumbbells
GHR machines
Sitting calf raises like 5
6 leg press
6 hack squats

And so much more...

I said now you are talking!!

Price? 199 to join and 25 a month or 99 to join and 40 a month.

Wtf was the guy getting at asking you what you really want in a gym? Sounds like a nice setup BH. I joined a World Gym back in December and all the manager kept going on about was the new smoothie bar they were putting in. Like I'm really gonna pay someone $5 to blend me a protein drink.http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/rpa4745/jerkit.gif (http://s692.photobucket.com/user/rpa4745/media/jerkit.gif.html) The three squat racks, dumbells up to 150 and tons of Hammer Strength equipment are why I joined. An atmosphere that lets you train how you want without some walking pencil sounding an alarm or asking you to stop "slamming the weights" is a plus as well. It's getting harder and harder to find a decent gym that will leave you alone and let you train anymore.

bodyhard
06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Wtf was the guy getting at asking you what you really want in a gym? Sounds like a nice setup BH. I joined a World Gym back in December and all the manager kept going on about was the new smoothie bar they were putting in. Like I'm really gonna pay someone $5 to blend me a protein drink.http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/rpa4745/jerkit.gif (http://s692.photobucket.com/user/rpa4745/media/jerkit.gif.html) The three squat racks, dumbells up to 150 and tons of Hammer Strength equipment are why I joined. An atmosphere that lets you train how you want without some walking pencil sounding an alarm or asking you to stop "slamming the weights" is a plus as well. It's getting harder and harder to find a decent gym that will leave you alone and let you train anymore.

We are an dying breed OS.....

Corbi
06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Reps for any gym having Hammer strength gear, best $hit out there.

Bando
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The only thing I would like heavy DBs for is rows.....and my gym only goes up to 120. Not great. One time in Montana, I stopped by a Gold's Gym to workout while on vacation. They had DB's up to 150. I went to grab them, and they actually had a layer of dust on them...which led me to believe they hadn't been used in quite some time. If I were to guess, the most action a 200 lb DB would see is college dipsh!ts challenging each other to rack and unrack them. I kinda doubt they would much (if ever) be used as part of a serious workout.

One of the gyms I visit has dusty 100's. I like breaking them out of their slumber.

Manc33
06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
It is the last bodybuilding gym left in the Bronx.

Someone with a lot of cash needs to swoop in right now and save it, or the Government even could.

At this new place you should get a reduced rate if you use only one room.