PDA

View Full Version : protein after training

talcbaby
06-07-2014, 05:46 AM
hey everyone
im currently 95kg, I eat about 145g of protein a day through food
Do I need a protein supplement after a workout as I believe im eating more than enough throughout the day
Or would just a creatine and glutamine supplement suffice

everywhere I read it says take protein after training?

NGV22
06-07-2014, 06:01 AM
doesnt matter, nutrient timing is not important

you should probably read some nutrition stickies man, recommended intake is 1g of protein/ 1lbs bodyweight which in your case, is not enough

ironwill2008
06-07-2014, 06:37 AM
hey everyone
Do I need a protein supplement after a workout as I believe im eating more than enough throughout the day

The only people who tout "take protein after training" as a general recommendation are those who sell protein supplements or bros who lack the ability to do some basic research and then think for themselves. If you are eating regular food on some reasonably normal meal schedule during the day, there is no need to slam protein (or anything else, for that matter) immediately after a weight training session.

You've also been sold a bill of goods on glutamine supplementation as well; other than possibly some small advantage to your immune system, it has proven worthless in regards to building muscle/strength.

kennycroxdale
06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
hey everyone

Nutrient Timing

Dr. John Ivy is one you might want to pick up.

Ivy provide some good research on what to take before, during and after you training session.

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

This article by Aragon and Schoenfeld goes into how the importance of post workout nutrition may not be as important as some believe.

However, while post workout nutrition may not be critical to recovery, I agree with Dr. Stuart Phillips does help with recovery.

The Protein Interview: An Interview with Dr. Stuart Phillips
http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/...uart-phillips/

"I do think that if there is a time for getting a little carbs in it’s post-workout so your muscle can restore muscle glycogen levels."

...it’s still prudent to consume your shake immediately post-workout..."

A Game of Inches

Once you reach a advance level, as you have, it become a game of inches.

As the saying goes, "The devil is in the details".

Rapid Carb Intake

As you know, high glycemic index carbohydrates are not converted to fat after a high intensity training session.

These carbohydrates are used to restore muscle glycogen.

Carbohydrates Outside The Window

Ingesting high glycemic index carbohydrates outside the training workout window tend to be stored as body fat.

Amino Acids

There are two amino acids you might want to consider using.

Glutamine

Part of this amino acids job is recovery. It has really helped me recovery from some hard training sessions.

Leucine

This is considered to be the "Anabolic Amino".

mTor (Mammalian Target of Rapamysin

In the world of hypertrophy (increasing muscle mass), this is a big deal.

Think of mTOR as a...

Light Switch

When the switch is down the light (anabolic mechanism) is turned off.

When the switch is up the light (anabolic mechanism) is turned on.

Leucine switches the light on.

Dr. Layne Norton
http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/u...PhD-Thesis.pdf

There is a multitude of information on Leucine. This is one of the research articles.

Maximizing Protein Synthesis
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_synthesis

This article by Willis and Meadows is one that provide you with some interesting information.

Kenny Croxdale

lilcheese
06-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Nutrient Timing

Dr. John Ivy is one you might want to pick up.

Ivy provide some good research on what to take before, during and after you training session.

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

This article by Aragon and Schoenfeld goes into how the importance of post workout nutrition may not be as important as some believe.

However, while post workout nutrition may not be critical to recovery, I agree with Dr. Stuart Phillips does help with recovery.

I thought this was a great article...long but very informative, and I probably didn't even understand 25% of it. I found it interesting how they basically dispel the "post workout window" but do note that if you fast training studies show it to be beneficial to take in some protein post workout. Since many of us do train fasted this seems to apply to many. I now tend to make sure I take protein post workout, within about an hour, but it is usually something such as eggs; usually only powder if i'm in a hurry.

kennycroxdale
06-08-2014, 05:31 AM
I thought this was a great article...long but very informative, and I probably didn't even understand 25% of it. I found it interesting how they basically dispel the "post workout window" but do note that if you fast training studies show it to be beneficial to take in some protein post workout. Since many of us do train fasted this seems to apply to many. I now tend to make sure I take protein post workout, within about an hour, but it is usually something such as eggs; usually only powder if i'm in a hurry.

Fasted Training

Training in a fasted state isn't the best option.

Taking something before, during and after your training session is more effective at enhancing recovery.

Kenny Croxdale