PDA

View Full Version : safety razor

scullin
06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Bought myself one and plan to try it for the first time tomorrow. Anyone who has one got any tips?

MississippiSlim
06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Hot towels pre shave. Good shaving soap. Keep skin taut. Do not apply anymore pressure than the weight of the razor. Soap, Shave with Grain, Soap, perpendicular to the grain, Soap, Against the grain. Have a Styptic pen ready. I would buy a sampler of different brands of razor blades as they all shave differently. Check out badger and blade website/forum.

scullin
06-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Hot towels pre shave. Good shaving soap. Keep skin taut. Do not apply anymore pressure than the weight of the razor. Soap, Shave with Grain, Soap, perpendicular to the grain, Soap, Against the grain. Have a Styptic pen ready. I would buy a sampler of different brands of razor blades as they all shave differently. Check out badger and blade website/forum.Thanks. I just used it for the first time. I got an OK shave out of it and a few nicks but I'm sure it will get better with practice.

All I could think of was this song though.....

16la1h3gUxY&

MississippiSlim
06-07-2014, 11:58 AM
I shave with one daily and have for several years. It took me a good while to become competent with it and I still get knicks if I rush at all (especially at work since I am on a floating structure). I have accepted that I am not gong to get a baby bottom smooth shave unless I want cuts and ingrown hairs. I do get a better shave overall with the safety razor and save money. Plus its cool as fuark!

crupiea
06-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I use one. I have been using it for about a year or so and have never once cut myself. it it suprisingly easy to use. way better then the multi edge jobs they would have you think are better.

the key is the shaving cream.

The regular stuff i a can is crap. If you dont have one already but a brush and mug. It makes all the differenmce in the world.

i also have a shavette which is basically a straight razor that you can put disposable blades into. it takes a bit more practice but is cool to use.

i dont think the safety razor really gives a closer shave then the multi edge jobs but for me I think it gives a more manly feeling shave if that makes sense. You will understand after using it.

I take mine apart and rinse it and let it dry after every use.

I use the astra blades as they seem to agree with my face more for some reason. i have a hug 100 pack of different blades that came with it and they are far and away the best ones but try different ones out for yourself.

scullin
06-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I did get a brush and the shaving soap stuff.