PDA

View Full Version : The World Cup

Caesura75
06-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Just six days until the tournament starts, so I have a question for you Muricans and Canadians.

You see, Europe, South America, Asia and Australia no doubt see this tournament as the greatest sporting competition in the world. Yet our perspective is that it's never really caught on stateside. No doubt soccer has built a higher profile with the MLS but it doesn't seem to be regarded in the same league as the likes of baseball, american football, basketball and ice hockey.

Will you guys be watching? Will you be following the USA team? Is the media hyping this or is it falling under the radar?

For what it's worth, England have absolutely no chance. Considering the climate, I'll almost certainly go for Argentina or Brazil to win.

GuyJin
06-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Wrong on both counts.

Lootania will win, captained by Stan and Josh Schmenge.

You heard it from me, first.

:D:D:D

jeffaus
06-06-2014, 03:23 AM
I will follow the Aussies, but alas it would be a miracle if they even win one game in there pool. They have a new Manager and pretty much a whole new team of young players with little or no international experience. I think the clean out of the older guys and coach is a good thing. Getting international experience against the best in the world into these younger guys can only benefit them in the future. Although for any of these young guys to actually get up to world standard, they will need to be drafted into Euro domestic teams and play in these leagues full time.

One thing is for sure though, the World Cup is the most watched and most sought after prize in world sport, bar none.

Guy, Im putting 50 bucks on Lootania to win based on your recommendation, so they better win or Im coming across the water to Japan to collect from you :D

ezk
06-06-2014, 03:29 AM
No one that I know of really cares about the World Cup tbh, Australia will be lucky to even win one match.

quicksand jesus
06-06-2014, 03:36 AM
Love the World Cup. USA has little chance of winning. I think Germany will come out on top.

MiscReaper1
06-06-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm stoked, can't wait for it! I think Argentina will come out on top, although I would like to see a team like Colombia win.

deadwoodgregg
06-06-2014, 04:31 AM
I couldn't name a single player, coach, official, or any other person associated with the world's most popular sport.

quicksand jesus
06-06-2014, 06:24 AM
I couldn't name a single player, coach, official, or any other person associated with the world's most popular sport.

Then I guess you won't be watching .

deadwoodgregg
06-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Then I guess you won't be watching .Probably not.

To be fair, I have not watched any of the hockey playoffs either. Soccer and hockey are just not very popular in my area of the country. Pretty much any other sport will get discussed at times on our local sports talk shows.

crupiea
06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Its not that well advertised here. I knew it was this year but did not know when it started. i also could not name a single player on the American team.

I am a typical American male who watches sports as well so you can imagine that the people who dont watch sports really have no idea whats going on.

Its all about advertising.

ChazWood
06-06-2014, 07:53 AM
I think the talented midfielder, Javad NEKOUNAM will lead Iran to a cup victory.

mixbwoy
06-06-2014, 08:22 AM
In on World Cup thread. Love the beautiful game. Taking vacation day for every game. I have seen almost every game since 1990 World Cup. Good thing about this year is the games are at respectable times for us in the US. USA has a chance to get out of 1st round, but it will b tough. Hope they do, cause that's my team. Australia, not so much of chance. England has it tough too. Hopefully they play their young stars. 1/4 of their starters are from LFC, so I will hope they do well.
South American World Cup so South American team will win. I got Argentina, though Brazil always has a place in my heart.

Caesura75
06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I think the talented midfielder, Javad NEKOUNAM will lead Iran to a cup victory.

Didn't they all get tortured once after a loss? Or maybe it was North Korea, I can't remember but some team did!

As for the USA team, their best player was Landon Donovan but I hear he's been left out for this tournament.

mixbwoy
06-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Didn't they all get tortured once after a loss? Or maybe it was North Korea, I can't remember but some team did!

As for the USA team, their best player was Landon Donovan but I hear he's been left out for this tournament.

Believe that was Iraq in the Saddam days. Think his sons would torture the Olympic team.

Donovan was left off. I would have kept him on, but I'm not the coach. Dempsey is currently USA's bet outfield player. Tim Howard is their best, imo, but keepers get no love by most.

Caesura75
06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Believe that was Iraq in the Saddam days. Think his sons would torture the Olympic team.

Donovan was left off. I would have kept him on, but I'm not the coach. Dempsey is currently USA's bet outfield player. Tim Howard is their best, imo, but keepers get no love by most.

All three of those plied their trade in the Premier League. Two at Everton if I recall, Dempsey at Fulham.

I'm personally hoping to see Lionel Messi take the tournament by storm. He's done everything at club level and smashed just about every record there is. If he can just lead his team to a world cup then he may finally be regarded as the greatest player ever.

quicksand jesus
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
All three of those plied their trade in the Premier League. Two at Everton if I recall, Dempsey at Fulham.

I'm personally hoping to see Lionel Messi take the tournament by storm. He's done everything at club level and smashed just about every record there is. If he can just lead his team to a world cup then he may finally be regarded as the greatest player ever.

Messi has some good players ( Aguero,DiMara, etc) around him which should be a good thing for him.

pvsampson
06-06-2014, 09:35 PM
You see, blah,blah and Australia no doubt see this tournament as the greatest sporting competition in the world.

Really? Everyone that I know couldn't give a f#ck about it.

AliasJR
06-06-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm stoked, can't wait for it! I think Argentina will come out on top, although I would like to see a team like Colombia win.

Colombia is not gonna win chit... a lot of injured players

For me, Germany takes it.

AliasJR
06-06-2014, 09:40 PM

I honestly can't see argentina winning with their weak backline and defensive mid.

JtuffA
06-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Anyone else annoyed at the amount of friendlies these teams are getting before the tournament? I think it's an unnecessary risk of injury and loss of players.

Italy lost Montolivo as he fractured his tibia vs Rep Ireland, a Mexican player also broke his leg, Ghana lost a player due to the friendly vs Netherlands, and now Ribery is ruled out of the French squad... I remember one week before 2006 WC Djibril Cisse snapped his leg up badly in a friendly vs China..

Why can't they just give 2-3 weeks completely off from friendlies before the tournament starts and just do heaps of training/practice match sessions. I understand injury can still be incured during training, but less so than playing friendlies.

jeffaus
06-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Anyone else annoyed at the amount of friendlies these teams are getting before the tournament? I think it's an unnecessary risk of injury and loss of players.

Italy lost Montolivo as he fractured his tibia vs Rep Ireland, a Mexican player also broke his leg, Ghana lost a player due to the friendly vs Netherlands, and now Ribery is ruled out of the French squad... I remember one week before 2006 WC Djibril Cisse snapped his leg up badly in a friendly vs China..

Why can't they just give 2-3 weeks completely off from friendlies before the tournament starts and just do heaps of training/practice match sessions. I understand injury can still be incured during training, but less so than playing friendlies.Friendlies or not, nobody runs out onto a sporting field not to give their all. So even though they call them friendlies, players will always play the way the play and that will always have a risk of injury.

I think if the teams are not ready by now, then they never will be, hence the friendlies so close to World Cup kick off is a waste of time. ...........OH wait, someone's making money from it, so I guess its not.

mixbwoy
06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Friendlies or not, nobody runs out onto a sporting field not to give their all. So even though they call them friendlies, players will always play the way the play and that will always have a risk of injury.

I think if the teams are not ready by now, then they never will be, hence the friendlies so close to World Cup kick off is a waste of time. ...........OH wait, someone's making money from it, so I guess its not.

A couple of friendlies are necessary for preparation. Players are coming in to their national teams from their various club teams, some playing different positions. They need to start gelling quickly. Though you nailed it on the head with the last sentence.

Caesura75
06-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Watching England play Honduras right now through the cracks of my fingers. A few of the Honduran's are taking this far too seriously.

paolo59
06-07-2014, 04:59 PM
I just hope Brazil can pull it off without major hitches. From everything I've seen and read it's not a pretty picture at the moment. I don't know how much of that is just 'media hype.' There's been some major unrest and serious altercations in Rio. The allegations of 'match fixing' coming out of South Africa aren't doing any good for the FIFA folks either! :(

GuyJin
06-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Isn't everyone on strike in that furshlugginer country?:D

Whatta joke...sorry, can't watch. Wish all the teams luck, but the whole thing is a joke to me.

paolo59
06-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Whatta joke...sorry, can't watch. Wish all the teams luck, but the whole thing is a joke to me.

The sport and competition is wonderful. The incredible expense to host one of these things is off the charts! :( I was reading online just the other day; many Western Nations, 'developed economies,' are simply pulling out of the running for such things in the future. It just isn't worth the monstrous outlay of investment and infrastructure. The expense cannot be recouped.

mixbwoy
06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
The sport and competition is wonderful. The incredible expense to host one of these things is off the charts! :( I was reading online just the other day; many Western Nations, 'developed economies,' are simply pulling out of the running for such things in the future. It just isn't worth the monstrous outlay of investment and infrastructure. The expense cannot be recouped.

Corruption runs rampant at FIFA. Like most governing bodies they are a joke, led by a crook. The Qatar 2022 winning bid is a clear example. Funny how FIFA makes piles money off the World Cup, but the hosting nations usually go in to the red.

Brackneyc
06-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Just six days until the tournament starts, so I have a question for you Muricans

I had to stop here because I don't know WTF a "Murican" is.

paolo59
06-07-2014, 11:51 PM

I never knew the term. Ha ha! I speak better Spanish than most immigrants from wherever in Latin America. Not saying a lot, to be sure. Most cross the border with a 2nd Grade preparation, if at that. :( "Google" 'Murican' and laugh brother! LOL I sometimes like to laugh, then again...I end up crying! :)

:(

GuyJin
06-08-2014, 12:13 AM
--
Ironman 3 FTW!

:D

MiamiSpartan
06-08-2014, 01:15 AM
It is HUGE in Miami....it usually affects business as well, since many of our clients attend games...we are hearing a lot of Brazilians are coming here just to get away from all the crowds there...
Sports bars will be PACKED....it is hard not get swept into the hype, so I'll be watching...I pull for Greece, Spain, and Argentina, in addition to the US....

The3Bar
06-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Germany for the win!

Come on... with the majority of the players from the unbeatable Bayern München, which includes the world's best goal keeper, Herr Neuer, Germany will win. They have to. Or I'm in big trouble. :)

Caesura75
06-08-2014, 02:05 AM
Germany for the win!

Come on... with the majority of the players from the unbeatable Bayern München, which includes the world's best goal keeper, Herr Neuer, Germany will win. They have to. Or I'm in big trouble. :)

I can't remember Germany not doing well in a World Cup. Probably the last surprise I recall is their loss to Bulgaria (was that '94?).

I personally can't see the European sides coping with the climate and travelling. Brazil and Argentina the obvious faves but my tip for the surprise outfit would be Uruguay (providing Suarez is fit).

jeffaus
06-08-2014, 03:37 AM
It is HUGE in Miami....it usually affects business as well, since many of our clients attend games...we are hearing a lot of Brazilians are coming here just to get away from all the crowds there...
Sports bars will be PACKED....it is hard not get swept into the hype, so I'll be watching...I pull for Greece, Spain, and Argentina, in addition to the US....Nothing like hedging your bets MS. LOL

I think Argentina are looking the goods, but you never know, only takes bad game and you can be history.

jeffaus
06-08-2014, 03:43 AM
I can't remember Germany not doing well in a World Cup.True. They never look as flamboyant as teams like Brasil or Argentina, but they just keep to the game plan of the Manager and do their jobs. They are always in with a chance.

jeffaus
06-08-2014, 03:48 AM

Whatta joke...sorry, can't watch. Wish all the teams luck, but the whole thing is a joke to me.Negged, you Canadian/Japanese novel writer.

GuyJin
06-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Negged, you Canadian/Japanese novel writer.
---

Thank you, Mr. Aussie 'hong mao guizi'.

MiamiSpartan
06-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Nothing like hedging your bets MS. LOL

I think Argentina are looking the goods, but you never know, only takes bad game and you can be history.

Pull for them for personal reasons....been to Spain 5 times.....I'm half Greek....My partner grew up in Argentina.....

mixbwoy
06-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Adidas has always been my boot of choice, but Nike always makes good World Cup commercials.

Iy1rumvo9xc

Oceanside
06-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Just six days until the tournament starts, so I have a question for you Muricans and Canadians.

You see, Europe, South America, Asia and Australia no doubt see this tournament as the greatest sporting competition in the world. Yet our perspective is that it's never really caught on stateside. No doubt soccer has built a higher profile with the MLS but it doesn't seem to be regarded in the same league as the likes of baseball, american football, basketball and ice hockey.

Will you guys be watching? Will you be following the USA team? Is the media hyping this or is it falling under the radar?

For what it's worth, England have absolutely no chance. Considering the climate, I'll almost certainly go for Argentina or Brazil to win.

I don't know that the aussies are really that big on soccer but considering it's in Brazil I'll be watching...

I'm not a REAL soccer fan but when the world cup rolls around I can appreciate the magnitude of it worldwide..

the US has germany/ghana and portugal to contend with in it's pool so I'm thinking they have a chance to make it out...

any real sports fan can appreciate the world cup :)

jeffaus
06-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Pull for them for personal reasons....been to Spain 5 times.....I'm half Greek....My partner grew up in Argentina.....Thanks for the context Miami. Now that explains why the 3 teams.

steffo99
06-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Adidas has always been my boot of choice, but Nike always makes good World Cup commercials.

Feels a bit strange seeing Zlatan so much in the commercial when we didn't even qualify. :(

I will just hang on to the memories of 1994 for now - when the team returned with the bronze and hundreds of thousands of people where out in the main streets
greeting the players. As the players' train of cars arrived at the main stadium for the reception, we all (friends and hundreds of others) ran passed police etc. and
followed them into the field. Was even more fun than watching the games.

Watched the bronze game at a pub and as a goal was scored we all jump out of our seats - my buddy was overly excited and grabbed hands
with an old dude and started some sort of insane celebration dance. The old guy lost his footing and fell with his back onto the sharp
edges of some chairs and lay there mooning. We were too busy with the game to give much of a damn, but I sometimes wonder if the
geezer ever made it home that night.

Here is the national team song from 1994 - "When we dig gold in the USA" :D

BaVmYE_OBfs

Caesura75
06-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Feels a bit strange seeing Zlatan so much in the commercial when we didn't even qualify. :(

I will just hang on to the memories of 1994 for now - when the team returned with the bronze and hundreds of thousands of people where out in the main streets
greeting the players. As the players' train of cars arrived at the main stadium for the reception, we all (friends and hundreds of others) ran passed police etc. and

Watched the bronze game at a pub and as a goal was scored we all jump out of our seats - my buddy was overly excited and grabbed hands
with an old dude and started some sort of insane celebration dance. The old guy lost his footing and fell with his back onto the sharp
edges of some chairs and lay there mooning. We were too busy with the game to give much of a damn, but I sometimes wonder if the

I like Sweden, although they did become somewhat a bogey side to England. In fact that may not be entirely fair, of late they were just a better side than England.

Memories include:

1. Losing to them in the 1992 Euros. Admittedly it was one of the poorest sides we'd ever had but the Brolin/Dahlin partnership worked well. If I recall correctly, Brolin played for Parma and eventually made a move to Leeds, but his career (and weight) was suffering by that stage so we never saw the best of him.

2. Losing to them again in 1998 in a Euro qualifier.

3. Drawing 1-1 in the first game of the 2002 world cup. We dominated the first half but were played off the park in the second and were lucky to get a point. This game had the extra spice of us being managed by Sven.

4. Drawing again in the 2006 world cup and by this stage, having that inevitable feeling that we cannot beat Sweden (a bit like we cannot win penalties). Joe Cole scored some crazy 30 yard lob and up to then we were comfortable. You knew they were going to park the bus and encourage a Swedish onslaught though, and it came. I think it was Larsson who scored the equaliser but can't be sure.

5. Winning in the 2012 Euros, finally putting the curse to rest. Yeah there were friendlies beforehand but they don't really count.

As for Zlatan, he's a bit chalk and cheese here but is probably like that everywhere. Some think he's a goalscoring genius, others an overrated flat-track bully. The biggest criticism is being likened to Dimitar Berbatov. Ouch.

steffo99
06-11-2014, 01:27 PM
1. Losing to them in the 1992 Euros. Admittedly it was one of the poorest sides we'd ever had but the Brolin/Dahlin partnership worked well. If I recall correctly, Brolin played for Parma and eventually made a move to Leeds, but his career (and weight) was suffering by that stage so we never saw the best of him.

Mainly remember celebrating at the beer tents downtown and how German hooligans went berserk and broke
store windows etc. on the main ave. For some reason we seem to often do well against England, not sure why
but I'll take it. :) English football has always been a main focus for fans here it seems. I am not a huge
football fan though, but enjoy these big events.

This is the best we ever placed - my dad was there to watch the 1958 finals and still speaks of it sometimes. :)

r3nPT34PFso

mixbwoy
06-11-2014, 09:59 PM

Here is the national team song from 1994 - "When we dig gold in the USA" :D

BaVmYE_OBfs

So you & your friend killed some old man in 1994 watching a game. :D The World Cup is a very powerful thing. Back in 1994 tickets were hard to come by, but I was able to go to Mexico v Ireland in the Citrus Bowl.

17 hours left. I'm damn near giddy.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18h6ro8q00ynugif/original.gif

silverlightning
06-12-2014, 11:17 AM
I Always Watch The World Cup. Started In 94. I'll Be Rooting For Spain, Portugal, USA And Mexico. Going To Watch Brazil Match At A British Pub Today. Oh Im In Socal by The way.

badclams
06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm in on this thread too !! I love the sport and played a lot till a few knee injuries. It was a killer time back in the good ol' NASL years Go Rowdies ! Actually it's even more alive jus check out some of our Timbers games, people up here are really into it. World Cup ? you betcha I'm watching them all or have'em recorded it's only once every four years for cryin' out loud. I watched the Croatia vs Brazil game today and I thought that penalty Brazil won on a flop was bunk ! That's probally the biggest thing that disappoints me is how everybody just over does the fake a$$ed getting shot by a 30-06 flop. None the less though huh ?

Oceanside
06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Are you kidding me !!!!!

cowboybiker
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10462882_916410331706024_4694001977825706641_n.jpg

SP1966
06-16-2014, 09:56 PM
And here I thought the world was round.

mixbwoy
06-17-2014, 09:09 AM
http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/world_cup_us_ghana_dempsey_goal.jpg?w=560&h=374&crop=1

http://static.dnaindia.com/sites/default/files/2014/06/17/244241-ghana-usa-8.jpg

x-trainer ben
06-17-2014, 09:19 AM

MLS has it's place, but as someone who played for many years the game has too little scoring for it to be super popular. I find myself thinking what else could i be doing as the time goes by and the clock approaches 90 min with a 0-0 score.

The media hypes the USA soccer/football games but we will see ho much more since basketball just ended as well as ice hockey.

i will watch certain games but my enthusiasm is at about a 5 on a ten scale

dangap
06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Really? Everyone that I know couldn't give a f#ck about it.

Apart from State of Origin - GO THE BLUES!!!

frozensparky
06-22-2014, 01:19 PM
I've been watching as much as I can. Streaming games at work and catching the afternoon games at home. Currently watching South Korea and Algeria. I have tomorrow off so I get to watch the Brazil game. Missed their first 2

EDIT: one thing I'm really enjoying is the lack of video replay after goals. I can honestly say it really slows down football and hockey.

3 nil for Algeria and I haven't seen one goal yet. If I want a goal to be scored all I have to do is focus somewhere else for a moment and bam goal

Oceanside
06-22-2014, 03:13 PM
with a win the US (today against Portugal) leaves the group and goes into the round of 32...

with a tie it sets up a HUGE game against Germany next week..

with a loss it gets a tad bit more complicated

frozensparky
06-22-2014, 03:19 PM
with a win the US (today against Portugal) leaves the group and goes into the round of 32...

with a tie it sets up a HUGE game against Germany next week..

with a loss it gets a tad bit more complicated

US has a pretty good shot today with how Portugal has been playing so far this cup. Should be an interesting game.

MiamiSpartan
06-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I believe!!

Caesura75
06-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Hoping USA do well. Portugal will be reliant on Ronaldo, the rest of their team is quite poor.

x-trainer ben
06-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Ronaldo has yet to impress at 62:58,,,

1-1 usa goal

for your time

http://www.today.com/money/durex-condoms-tells-world-cup-players-dont-fake-it-1D79818662

2-1 as of 743pm

jeffaus
06-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Ronaldo did nothing in the first game, he looked like he didn't want to be there.

x-trainer ben
06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Ronaldo did nothing in the first game, he looked like he didn't want to be there.

yeah he still looks that way now!

ok that was a nice pass for the tie(2-2) goal with no time left!

completely unexpected!

http://gfycat.com/WetSmugDogwoodtwigborer

Caesura75
06-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Just caught up with the match. Awesome goal by Jones. All to play for!

mixbwoy
06-23-2014, 09:51 AM
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2014/06/22/http-content.reuters.com-auth-server-content-tag-reuters.com0000-newsml_tb3ea6n0064gj-1535481102-tag-reuters.com0000-binary_tb3ea6n0064gj-baseimage-tokenoj9rdsngrgeujqmaccgbm9qy2jpiimxvyfbfqhdraq.jp g

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2372295/kansasmelting.gif

Bradley has been rubbish first two games. Caused the turnover that led to the last goal. Cameroon two crucial mistakes that helped both Portugal goals. Switch off for a second & get punished at this level.
But, we still in it.

whatevergirl
06-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Was surprised to see the World Cup games sometimes end in "ties."

Hope to see Italy and the US make a come back. :cool:

Caesura75
06-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Was surprised to see the World Cup games sometimes end in "ties."

Hope to see Italy and the US make a come back. :cool:

I think the word "ties" is quite unique to North America. It's more commonly called a "draw" elsewhere.

There can only be ties/draws in the group stages as they're effectively mini-leagues. Once it gets to the last 16, any ties/draws will go to a penalty shoot-out so there'll have to be a winner.

Nikonguy
06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
On some level the World Cup is like the Cliff Notes of soccer for Americans.

Frnkd
06-24-2014, 06:57 PM
I never could figure what the appeal was of soccer, my attitude was that soccer was something your kid participates in until they hit middle school...... but watching this WC Im starting to like it, taken me 3-4 world cups...LOL

Oceanside
06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
I never could figure what the appeal was of soccer, my attitude was that soccer was something your kid participates in until they hit middle school...... but watching this WC Im starting to like it, taken me 3-4 world cups...LOL

regular soccer I don't have much or any interest in..

world cup soccer is TOTALLY different as long as the US is in it.

SuperZar
06-24-2014, 07:25 PM
So disappointed Spain is out :( Oh well, can't be on top forever .... heck, ranked FIFA #1 for most of 2008 all the way to 2014, and with three major championships in a row! Too bad they had to fall so hard ... oh well, rooting for USA now!

frozensparky
06-24-2014, 08:17 PM
So disappointed Spain is out :( Oh well, can't be on top forever .... heck, ranked FIFA #1 for most of 2008 all the way to 2014, and with three major championships in a row! Too bad they had to fall so hard ... oh well, rooting for USA now!

Spain, Italy and England out before the round of 16 is a pretty big shocker I thought.

I always cheer for Brazil and even though they won 4-1 yesterday they still don't look like the champions they've already been crowned.

Will also be cheering for the US

Caesura75
06-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Uruguay are also done. Suarez will undoubtedly be banned - that's three times now that he's sunk his beaver teeth into an opponent.

News here is that Liverpool FC are now considering what to do. He's not good for their brand and is frequently becoming a poor role-model but that said, he's also one of the biggest footballing assets in the world.

Real Madrid are apparently sniffing and that would bring a simple solution to the problem (at least as far as him being in England) but at a value of around £80m, Liverpool are hardly going to show him the door and cut their losses.

samori
06-25-2014, 03:23 AM
Suarez is undoubtedly a talent-- just can't figure out what is going through his head. What a shame.

3rd time for him, it deserves way more then a 10 or 24 month ban like in the past.

US has a good opportunity to move on. Need to clean up their touches in the building from defense into midfield, those quick giveaways will be eaten by Ozil and Mueller.

Caesura75
06-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Suarez is undoubtedly a talent-- just can't figure out what is going through his head. What a shame.

3rd time for him, it deserves way more then a 10 or 24 month ban like in the past.

US has a good opportunity to move on. Need to clean up their touches in the building from defense into midfield, those quick giveaways will be eaten by Ozil and Mueller.

I can assure you that the whole of England will be supporting the Stars and Stripes tomorrow!

whatevergirl
06-25-2014, 05:49 AM
Bummed about Italy's loss. :( Thought they got a bad deal, yesterday. Oh well...hoping USA wins!

beachguy498
06-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Soccer... aka "the girls kicking game". I called it that once at my son's lacrosse practice and this one dad got huffy about it. But his wife was known for showing up stinking drunk at lacrosse practice and games, which is another story. She was nice enough but don't light a match within 20 feet of her.

It is huge at the schools by us and the season never ends. Luckily both of my kids never liked it, there were a lot of coaches on other teams that took pride in their kids playing dirty.

For me, it would be a lot more exciting to be played on a field the size of a ice hockey rink. In fact play it at hockey arenas, they would get revenue almost all year round. My only real past-soccer memories were reading about the Bolivian soccer riots in the 1960's. Like holy s%it... its only a freakin' game...

x-trainer ben
06-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Soccer... aka "the girls kicking game". I called it that once at my son's lacrosse practice and this one dad got huffy about it. But his wife was known for showing up stinking drunk at lacrosse practice and games, which is another story. She was nice enough but don't light a match within 20 feet of her.

It is huge at the schools by us and the season never ends. Luckily both of my kids never liked it, there were a lot of coaches on other teams that took pride in their kids playing dirty.

For me, it would be a lot more exciting to be played on a field the size of a ice hockey rink. In fact play it at hockey arenas, they would get revenue almost all year round. My only real past-soccer memories were reading about the Bolivian soccer riots in the 1960's. Like holy s%it... its only a freakin' game...

No memories of the NY Cosmos in the late 70's and some dude named...Pele?

beachguy498
06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
No memories of the NY Cosmos in the late 70's and some dude named...Pele?

Heard of him and can put a face to the name, no idea where he played though.

ChazWood
06-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Go Iran!

Big game for them today. If they beat B&H by more than 1 goal and Argentina beats Nigeria today, I think they advance to the next round.

samori
06-25-2014, 09:58 AM

Playing arena soccer on artificial turf is becoming huge. The size of the glassed arena and the rules somewhat resemble hockey. Physcial and fast.

I enjoy playing it during the winter, but prefer outdoor during the other months.

It is year round. The local complex by me has 4 fields and they can run games weeknights and weekends all year round. Big money maker.

Oceanside
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM

I perfectly ok with soccer players biting each other.

Fishman15
06-25-2014, 10:34 AM

I love nibbling on da wifey's shoulder...or other...

Caesura75
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM

It's definitely entertaining. FIFA have a problem with this too as under their own laws, players/teams have the right to appeal a decision. In essence, that means they'll ban Suarez, Uruguay will appeal, and so Suarez will still play the next game while FIFA are forced to re-investigate.

Bottom line, FIFA will rush a decision to try and prevent him playing the rest of the tournament.

mixbwoy
06-25-2014, 02:16 PM
It's definitely entertaining. FIFA have a problem with this too as under their own laws, players/teams have the right to appeal a decision. In essence, that means they'll ban Suarez, Uruguay will appeal, and so Suarez will still play the next game while FIFA are forced to re-investigate.

Bottom line, FIFA will rush a decision to try and prevent him playing the rest of the tournament.

Agreed, he needs to be gone. But with Sepp Blatter...

Before the tournament I would have been against any move to sell Luis Suarez. But, now I hope LFC takes the 65 mil euros & Alexi Sanchez deal from Barca.

Oceanside
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
if you get bitten during a soccer game you really should be allowed to slap that person that bit ya right in the face !

FIFA really needs to change that rule.

GuyJin
06-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I think we should have zombie soccer and they change the rules to accomodate players who're into that.

Thing is, all of them will be. "Send more infielders!"

Caesura75
06-25-2014, 04:52 PM
WxU-cQvmi-k

jeffaus
06-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Uruguay are also done. Suarez will undoubtedly be banned - that's three times now that he's sunk his beaver teeth into an opponent.

News here is that Liverpool FC are now considering what to do. He's not good for their brand and is frequently becoming a poor role-model but that said, he's also one of the biggest footballing assets in the world.

Real Madrid are apparently sniffing and that would bring a simple solution to the problem (at least as far as him being in England) but at a value of around £80m, Liverpool are hardly going to show him the door and cut their losses.Suarez is the Mike Tyson of the football world. Great talent, but who knows what clicks in his brain to bite another player.

jeffaus
06-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I perfectly ok with soccer players biting each other.Why am I not surprised you would like that.

Oceanside
06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
USA/Germany in an hour and the place is flooded with rain

Caesura75
06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
USA/Germany in an hour and the place is flooded with rain

Rooting for the US here!

Caesura75
06-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Got to give the Germans some credit here though. In the UK, the world cup is generally hosted by boring ex players or football fanatics, alongside more ex players who act as pundits. They then collectively fart forth a load of monotonous bile and we all reach for the stand-by button as soon as the match ends.

In Germany, the World Cup is being hosted by this piece of eye candy - Fernanda Brandao

http://you-big-blog.com/wp-content/gallery/fernanda-brandao-2013/fernanda_mag_ausdauersport.jpg

The Italians on the other hand can sit back and enjoy the presenting skills of Ilaria D'Amico.........

http://www.basilicata24news.it/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2014/06/ilaria-damico-hot-2.jpg

and wtf do we get? This. Adrian f***ing Chiles. And i'm dead srs..........

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2365523.ece/alternates/s615/Adrian-Chiles.jpg

Oceanside
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
V8lT1o0sDwI

bustasinclair
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Brilliant first half.........*snore*

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 12:03 PM
RIP USA

Was planning on streaming the game but ended up with problems in the field so I was unable to watch. Looks by possession time and shots on goal the US was on defense a good portion of the game.

bustasinclair
06-26-2014, 12:15 PM
RIP USA

Was planning on streaming the game but ended up with problems in the field so I was unable to watch. Looks by possession time and shots on goal the US was on defense a good portion of the game.

USA advances by default as Portugal defeated Ghana.

frozensparky
06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
USA advances by default as Portugal defeated Ghana.

My bad. I had only checked the US score and thought they had to win to advance.

x-trainer ben
06-26-2014, 01:02 PM
94 min and only 1-0, ehhh :(

ChickenPauk
06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Germany absolutely put on a possession clinic vs USA! Very few USA chances. Several good GER chances.

silverlightning
06-26-2014, 09:59 PM
here is the US OF A you can watch great pre and post game shows, commentary on the spanish network KMEX. channel 34 for me since i'm in SOCAL. football isn't the same if I have to listen in english(ESPN)

MetFan
06-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Germany didn't have to sweat it out much though as they were advancing either way.

I had Germany to win it all anyway, but how badly they thumped the Portuguese I was not expecting. It's my parents homeland, but we all knew going into the tournament that Portugal did not have a good club.

Been some exciting matches and some serious flopping around on the pitch. Damn, I got a mosquito bite, please carry me off the field. :rolleyes:

frozensparky
06-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Some interesting things happening in the round of sixteen so far.

I was glad to see brazil win after hulks goal was called back as a hand ball. They didn't show too many replays but I thought the ref got that one wrong

And today Mexico taking a penalty in extra time to give NED a penalty shot after giving up the equalizer at 88'

One thing I've noticed is soccer players must have wolverines power of healing because when they go down they look like they've blown their knees completely out and then 2 seconds later when they didn't draw the penalty their up and running full speed

MetFan
06-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Some interesting things happening in the round of sixteen so far.

I was glad to see brazil win after hulks goal was called back as a hand ball. They didn't show too many replays but I thought the ref got that one wrong

And today Mexico taking a penalty in extra time to give NED a penalty shot after giving up the equalizer at 88'

One thing I've noticed is soccer players must have wolverines power of healing because when they go down they look like they've blown their knees completely out and then 2 seconds later when they didn't draw the penalty their up and running full speed

Couldn't believe Mexico lost that game in 6 minutes.

Also a little frustrating was that in the 1st half, NED gets a gift by the ref missing a clear penalty shot when the Mexican player was kicked in the head. Give Mex the lead that early in the game with a potential penalty kick goal and I think it would have been a different outcome.

Also, I have to agree on how often these guys flop and die, then get up like nothing happened.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8650386947_a521d33a87_z.jpg

Caesura75
06-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't know how it is in the States but the Brazil love-fest by the UK media is doing many people's heads in. I really wanted them out yesterday and thought Chile deserved to go through.

Colombia were superb. Would love to see them win it. They've got Brazil next!

frozensparky
06-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Don't know how it is in the States but the Brazil love-fest by the UK media is doing many people's heads in. I really wanted them out yesterday and thought Chile deserved to go through.

Colombia were superb. Would love to see them win it. They've got Brazil next!

I think Brazil was crowned World Cup champions by the press very early. I actually think it may be messing with some of their players. We probably don't get the coverage you guys get in the UK though. Here in Canada a big trade in the NHL off season would get more attention than the finals of the World Cup

frozensparky
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Also a little frustrating was that in the 1st half, NED gets a gift by the ref missing a clear penalty shot when the Mexican player was kicked in the head. Give Mex the lead that early in the game with a potential penalty kick goal and I think it would have been a different outcome.

I missed most of the first half but I did hear about that obvious penalty. I do however like the fact that they don't have video review in soccer. I hate when there's a touchdown in football and then 5 minutes of review. Takes the excitement level down I find

SuperZar
06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
I do however like the fact that they don't have video review in soccer. I hate when there's a touchdown in football and then 5 minutes of review. Takes the excitement level down I find

But then again, when it's your team that's been robbed of a goal you're always grateful for video review making it right :)

frozensparky
06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
But then again, when it's your team that's been robbed of a goal you're always grateful for video review making it right :)

I always like to have an excuse why my team didn't win. "Those refs should have seen that"

Caesura75
06-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I do however like the fact that they don't have video review in soccer

They do actually - goal-line technology to determine if the ball crosses the line or not. It's only used when the referee requests it though.

x-trainer ben
07-01-2014, 12:29 PM
117:40 for a goal, that is almost 2 hours for 1 score. sheezus!

argentina-switzerland on radio.

Caesura75
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
117:40 for a goal, that is almost 2 hours for 1 score. sheezus!

argentina-switzerland on radio.

The Swiss basically camped up and stifled the game. Can't blame them for that but Argentina were dire.

Now watching USA v Belgium. I think this could be tasty!

x-trainer ben
07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
The Swiss basically camped up and stifled the game. Can't blame them for that but Argentina were dire.

Now watching USA v Belgium. I think this could be tasty!

Think i will reclaim my 120 min and go to the gym; highlights for a 1 goal match take about 10 sec at most, enjoy. :P

frozensparky
07-01-2014, 03:54 PM
2 minutes into extra time you gotta put that $hit in the back of the net. Only caught the second half but it seems the US hasn't had a lot of chances and that late one could have been the clincher for them

Oceanside
07-01-2014, 04:55 PM
2 minutes into extra time you gotta put that $hit in the back of the net. Only caught the second half but it seems the US hasn't had a lot of chances and that late one could have been the clincher for them

the last 6 minute was all U.S.

we didn't wake up until it was 2-nil

dazlittle
07-02-2014, 02:31 AM
Yes I'm English and we are **** at football but I saw these and had a chuckle!

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p518/dazlittle123/FEB8A610-A0F8-418A-BEF9-43A8FD9A1784_zpshl0mserw.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p518/dazlittle123/1A127BC8-7D18-4E79-B3DB-6DD9403E1C70_zpsaxrd4zhl.jpg

frozensparky
07-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Going to be a tough one for Brazil next. Neymar out with an injury and Silva missing the match as well

GuyJin
07-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Tough break for Brazil, Neymar being out and Silva gone as well. Looks like Germany has the best chance of taking it at this point in time.

Caesura75
07-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Tough break for Brazil, Neymar being out and Silva gone as well. Looks like Germany has the best chance of taking it at this point in time.

I tipped Argentina from the start and will have to stick. Brazil v Germany will be very tasty!

Caesura75
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Well we knew Brazil weren't up to the standards of their predecessors but that's probably the most emphatic scoreline in the history of the World Cup.

Typical Germans, no outstanding flair or key players. Just a clinical, organised, efficient team that gets it tactically spot on.

GuyJin
07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Hell of a score. 7-1 in favor of Germany.

Gonna be a lot of riots in Brazil over this. You have wins, you have drubbings, and you have beatings. This was a beating.

JtuffA
07-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Hell of a score. 7-1 in favor of Germany.

Gonna be a lot of riots in Brazil over this. You have wins, you have drubbings, and you have beatings. This was a beating.

Unfortunately this.

At the end of the match when David Luiz, Luis Gustavo, and co were on their knees praying, looks like they were doing so for their safety!

frozensparky
07-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Didn't get to watch the game. Was going to try and rush back for the second half but after checking the score I figured it just wasn't worth it.

DocHoss
07-08-2014, 06:11 PM
p13yZAjhU0M

Oceanside
07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
first time they've lost (in Brazil) in 30 years...

I'll be pretty surprised in something weird doesn't happen.

DocHoss
07-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I'll be pretty surprised in something weird doesn't happen.
Like peace in the Middle East?? :D

Oceanside
07-08-2014, 07:04 PM
no....

more like groups of German tourists turning up missig

mixbwoy
07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Worst I have ever seen a team play at a World Cup. Brazilian's mentality gave in, finally. They had too much expectations placed on their shoulders & not a good enough team to fulfill them. They would have never made it this far, if the tournament was not in Brazil. Germany was simply master class today.

Protests will probably start again. Fingers crossed for no violence though.

x-trainer ben
07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Here is a fast wrap up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/08/germany-brazil-world-cup-semifinals_n_5568459.html

dazlittle
07-09-2014, 08:57 AM
no....

more like groups of German tourists turning up missig

can you turn up missing, surely they are no longer missing when they turn up! :-)

Nikopolino
07-09-2014, 09:47 AM
So I should keep looking over my shoulder, when I go home tonight? XD

paolo59
07-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Lord, poor Brazil. There aren't enough grief counselors to take care of the need today. :(

Brackneyc
07-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Lord, poor Brazil. There aren't enough grief counselors to take care of the need today. :(

They should call the Broncos.

Tmax55
07-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Yesterday was the worst day in Brazil since 5-1-94.