PDA

View Full Version : protein from peanuts - is it good for muscle growth?

mazonas
06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
well I have heard various statements regarding this subject.. according to some you get NOTHING from peanuts when it come to building muscles.. and according to others - protein found in peanuts is good for muscles growth. and if its true.. then wouldnt it be cheaper to buy and eat peanuts instead of whey powder?

GrowMacGrow
06-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Peanuts are good for you, but having too much of them isn't. They are

Peanuts are commonly used for a fat source, whilst whey is used for the protein.

If you enjoy them then eat them, but don't over-do it as they are quite dense in calories. Use common sense.

mazonas
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Peanuts are commonly used for a fat source, whilst whey is used for the protein.

if peanuts contain 20-30g of protein per 100g, why they are not used for protein source? I dont understand that... and never did

CellTrek
06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Squirrels like peanuts and they are usually pretty jacked so if u want to pack on the size obviously eat lots of peanuts

chemo29
06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
if peanuts contain 20-30g of protein per 100g, why they are not used for protein source? I dont understand that... and never did

simply because it contains twice as much fat...

so yeah it's high in protein, but much higher in fat (not saying it can't be used as a protein source, it's just mainly seen as a fat source, like almonds)

mazonas
06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
simply because it contains twice as much fat...

so yeah it's high in protein, but much higher in fat (not saying it can't be used as a protein source, it's just mainly seen as a fat source, like almonds)
ok, for example so if I eat 100g of peanuts (which contain 30g of protein) would it be same as eating 5 boiled chicken eggs (that contain 6g of protein each, so it would be 30g in total)?

chemo29
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
protein wise it would be number equivalent, but the amino acid break down is different (altough I get ~24g of protein/100g of peanuts in my log, so you would need ~130g of peanuts)

but 100g of peanuts is a pretty tiny amount and yields almost 600 calories
whereas 5 large boiled eggs are more satiating (in my opinion), but only yield 350 calories
(boiled eggs contain alot of water, peanuts contain little to no water but much more fat)

ErikTheElectric
06-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Peanuts really shouldn't be used as a primary protein source, rather a source of dietary fat.