PDA

View Full Version : Casein has too much sugar for fat loss?

SirOttis40
06-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I was a gym rat in my late teens and early 20s. Kids, college, and life got in the way and I took a 10 year break where I put on about 60 pounds of crap. I have been back at it for two months now, hitting the weights heavy and hard 4 days a week, do fasted HIIT 4 mornings, and switch up LIIS and HIIT post workout. I have been eating at a 1000 cal deficit keeping macros at 50, 40, 10 with 1.5 g of protein of lbm. I supplement with protein shakes (Whey & Casein-PM), fish oil, Animal Flex - shoulders and wrist get sore. I have dropped 25 lbs on the scale and about 4" off of my waist over the last two months so far. Muscle definition is coming back, energy levels are through the roof, lifts are getting stronger....all is going well. I have especially paid attention to keeping my protein levels up so I do not lose lbm.

I saw this today on an article from Muscle & Fitness Facebook Post and I have never heard that Casein was bad for weight loss because it has sugar in it. I use ON Casein and it only has 1 gram of sugar per scoop. Surely that can't be a deal breaker for fat loss.
(I tried using the search for an answer and could not find anything regarding this)

Trying to get massive? According to Lynn, slower-digesting casein protein is a good option before hitting the sack.

“Taking casein at night so you’re continuously fed BCAAs is a great concept for people looking to bulk up,” she says. “And while whey is always the best in my book, I’d also recommend casein to someone who has a hard time preserving muscle.”

When you goal is weight loss, Lynn suggests canning the casein. “It has sugar in it, which messes up fat burning,” she adds. “That’s the reason many top models and bodybuilders stay away from it.”

Just looking for some experienced advice here......... Thanks.

ToshiroAki
06-04-2014, 09:20 PM
simple sugars are used first over fat, burning your fat is the only way to lose it. so hypothetically this makes sense, but remember your taking what 4 scoops or less (1-4g carbs) over 8-10 hours of sleep, your bmr alone is going to burn 600 durring that time peroid so the 4-12cals of sugar should mean nothing hypothetically.

the problem would arise if that sugar caused too much of an insulin reaction and the body stored your protien intake as fat due to where it was sending sugar. however if you are effectively cutting, and your body prioritizes the protien properly as it should, you should have no ill effects from this.

just dont take like 30 scoops a day like crazy builders do, cause then were talking 120cals/30g sugar and that will ruin your cut.

SirOttis40
06-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I take 2 scoops of casein with water just before I go to bed. I take about 3 scoops of whey (2 with breakfast and 1 afternoon snack) on off days and workout days I take the afternoon snack shake pre-wo and 2 scoops post-wo. Other than that it is lean meats and complex carbs( rabbit food and sweet potatoes).

Thanks for your reply.