PDA

View Full Version : 6 months of pushing hard and almost no results

cdsutton
06-04-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm 38, 5'10", 158lbs. I started hitting the gym over 6 months ago when I turned 38. My goal is to bulk up and then ripped on my 40th b-day. I figure 2 years would be a good goal. I've been pushing hard 4-5 days a week without missing..
So far nothing.. I only see just a small amount of def in muscle a bit less belly fat ( didnt have much to start with)
I've always been in great shape but just lean..
PLEASE HELP!!
How can I get bigger.. I will do this no matter what it takes..

Dave76
06-04-2014, 07:55 AM
How can I get bigger.. I will do this no matter what it takes..
Eat more. You can't build muscle out of hard work and thin air. You have to add food to the equation.

Edit: Wizard ^^^^

GONZO613
06-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Find out what your maintenance calories are and eat above that. Read the nutrition logs/stickies in the nutrition section. Good luck

SpurredSnake
06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
^^^^ EAT MOAR ^^^^

Maybe take a weight gainer to help if you are hitting a flat spot and not hitting any changes.

cdsutton
06-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far...
I eat at 7,10,2,6,9. I admit I still feel hungry half the time, but I'm eating enough to kill a horse.. Lol

Any certain way of working out?
Did have one guy at the gym say I'm pushing way to hard.. I work my entire body every other day. With a workout that takes about 2 hours..
Burn out to failure between 8-10 reps with sets of 3.

Should this be changed?

Brosynthesis
06-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Run a blood test and check your testosterone levels. If you're eating right and pushing hard that's all that's left to be a problem.

frozensparky
06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
I eat at 7,10,2,6,9. I admit I still feel hungry half the time, but I'm eating enough to kill a horse.. Lol

Did have one guy at the gym say I'm pushing way to hard.. I work my entire body every other day. With a workout that takes about 2 hours..

Should this be changed?

eating at 7,10,2,6,9 and eating "enough to kill a horse" does not give anybody enough info to even start helping you. We don't need to know exactly what your eating but a break down of how many calories your eating and the grams of carbs, protein and fat is needed. If you don't know the answer to that question keep a food journal for a few weeks and come back and ask questions based on that info

cdsutton
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
eating at 7,10,2,6,9 and eating "enough to kill a horse" does not give anybody enough info .... If you don't know the answer to that question keep a food journal for a few weeks and come back and ask questions based on that info

Thanks for the info.. Ill try the journal..

SpurredSnake
06-04-2014, 09:33 AM

Should this be changed?
Low reps, low sets. Try 6-8 reps of 4 sets. The last 6 of the exersize should kill you... Go heavy every time. No cardio. Alternate negatives.

DuracellBunny
06-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Should this be changed?

Simple question; is your bodyweight increasing?

If the answer is no, regardless of what you think you are eating, you are not eating enough.

Karl_Hungus
06-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Simple question; is your bodyweight increasing?

If the answer is no, regardless of what you think you are eating, you are not eating enough.

^^ This. If you are eating enough to kill a horse and your bodyweight is not increasing, then it is time to eat enough to kill 2 horses. Or at least enough to kill one horse and severely injure a second horse.

SpurredSnake
06-04-2014, 12:16 PM
^^ This. If you are eating enough to kill a horse and your bodyweight is not increasing, then it is time to eat enough to kill 2 horses. Or at least enough to kill one horse and severely injure a second horse.

Quote material....

GuyJin
06-04-2014, 03:56 PM
They shoot horses, don't they?:D

OP, FWIW, I'd echo eomrat's idea. Starting Strength is a solid program (minus the Gallon Of Milk A Day concept) or All-Pro's workout. You can find both programs in the Stickies.

As for food, if your bodyweight isn't going up, then you're not eating enough. Calories in and calories out. You don't have to pig out and do the so-called 'dirty' bulk (i.e. pizza, hamburgers, Chinese take-out) but eating OVER maintenanc (whatever that is for you) combined with a progressive weight training program will eventually see you add your desired bodyweight.