PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy during the day

atu1durboy
06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Anyone got some advice on not getting tired/sleepy after lunch? I work out early in the morning and have my runs in the evening. Usually sleep about 5-7 hours a night. Eat a clean diet, but of late I can NOT shake these sleepy spells I am getting. Is this a diet issue or maybe workout? Advice needed!

Pinskers
06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
I've never been able to shake mine. If you find an answer, let me know (though honestly, maybe try shooting for eight hours of sleep?). For me, I ignore it and then tank up on the weekends.

JayJayMate
06-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Anyone got some advice on not getting tired/sleepy after lunch? I work out early in the morning and have my runs in the evening. Usually sleep about 5-7 hours a night. Eat a clean diet, but of late I can NOT shake these sleepy spells I am getting. Is this a diet issue or maybe workout? Advice needed!

Hey man,

I am using ZMA, this stuff is supposed to make me sleep deeper. You take 3 pills 30-60 minutes before sleeping.
It should make u feel more rested, even if u just sleep 5-7 hours a night. I've read many reviews that it works, I only take 1 tbh, because of the other supplies and kinda feel little better rested. Maybe you should give it a try, it's about $10-15 for a month.

Not sure about diet thou, maybe too low Carbs :o.

-J.Z.

Plateauplower
06-05-2014, 06:37 AM
5 hrs of sleep isnt enough for me 6-7 im ok and 8-9 even better. My personal experiance is cardio in the evening will jack me up and I will have trouble getting to sleep. Anytime i need some sleep assistence I take 3mg of sublingual melatonin and within about 30 minutes I am in a coma...I have tried ZMA before and it didn't do much for my sleep, but studies have shown many atheletes have lower zinc levels and the ZMA can help boost those, the magnesium is supposed to help with sleep YMMV..

Richie71
06-05-2014, 07:21 AM
More sleep at night (I need 7-8 hours) and more caffeine during the day.

crupiea
06-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Could be not enough sleep.

The simplest way to see if its your diet is the next time you are super tired, try eating some simple carbs. No more then say 30-50 grams or so. Wait 1/2 an hour and see if it peps you up at all.

If it does then there you have it. Its an imbalance that needs to be monitored closer.

steffo99
06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Maybe try more of those slow burning carbs for breakfast for even energy for a few hrs
and some quick energy boost later on with some fruit etc? No expert here but just felt like it could be a
food/diet issue.

scullin
06-05-2014, 07:56 AM
coffee /thread

guyver79
06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
There was a thread about this the other day, I'll try and find it, it included timing your sleep so you don't wake up mid cycle and cold showers and music light cardio in the morning.

guyver79
06-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Hope this helps:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162159941&page=5

Sleep cycle calculator:

http://sleepyti.me/

Rajon25
06-05-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't ever remember not being some kind of tired since having children.

ZMA has melatonin in it. I used to go to Asia or Europe 1 to 3 weeks out of every month for nearly 2 years. I learned the hard way that it is very easy to build up a tolerance to melatonin.

Things I find that help a lot in recovering from jet-lag and just sleeping better in general.

1. Take a vitamin D supplement in the morning.
2. Cycle melatonin
3. No caffeine or stimulants after 2:00pm
4. I spend as much time in the sun as possible.
5. I run and run and run and play with my kids until they are exhausted - if they sleep better, I sleep better.
6. Protein shake right before bed - no waking up hungry

Things I know that work but don't do (yet anyway)
1. Charge your cell phone outside of your room
2. remove TV an all sources of blue light from your room
3. Do not look at blue light 2 hours before bed (no tv, computer, phone, etc)
4. Dim the lights an hour before bed.

Thanks for posting. I liek to hear what other people are trying.

Fishman15
06-05-2014, 01:21 PM

What exactly are you eating for lunch and what are you doing right after you eat lunch?

mcbourque
06-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Things I know that work but don't do (yet anyway)
1. Charge your cell phone outside of your room
2. remove TV an all sources of blue light from your room
3. Do not look at blue light 2 hours before bed (no tv, computer, phone, etc)
4. Dim the lights an hour before bed.

^^^ this
Although 30 min might be enough. I stopped using my iPad and switched to my old fashioned kindle (no back light) before bed. Huge difference in how fast I fall asleep.

Also get more sleep :) and more coffee!

GreenWave1
06-06-2014, 07:45 AM
All of the sleep tips are great. Try to get that buttoned down. If you find that it is not enough, try adding some vegetables to your lunch. I eat spinach and broc**** most days at lunch and find that it helps tremendously.