PDA

View Full Version : Went to a new restaurant for lunch today ( Location Nth China Town )WTF?

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:37 AM
I got invited by friends to a new restaurant that just opened in Jixian ( town in nth China I am currently located ) and I see Western style Hamburger on the menu. Hell yeah, Im ordering one of those. My hamburger comes and Im WTF is that?

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/phoonf6/photo2.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/phoonf6/media/photo2.jpg.html)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/phoonf6/photo1.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/phoonf6/media/photo1.jpg.html)

And just in case you are wondering. NO, I don't have Andre the Giant sized hands.

When will they ever learn.

TubbyDad
06-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Haha. Was it supposed to be ironic? What did that thing cost?

GuyJin
06-02-2014, 05:40 AM
It's a tadpole burger.

:D

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Haha. Was it supposed to be ironic? What did that thing cost?Not sure what it cost, friends paid as they invited me out, That's the way it works here.

MaleOrderBride
06-02-2014, 05:44 AM
How many calories is that hamburger?

TTCJoe
06-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Where's the beef?

TubbyDad
06-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Where's the beef?

Relevant to thread as well as OV35 in general. Have some reps.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:47 AM
How many calories is that hamburger?Im guessing about 1.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:48 AM
Where's the beef?Its in there, just gotta look real hard.

ajdahlheimer
06-02-2014, 05:53 AM
BH would have ripped the waiter's throat out at first site of that thing.

Sorry OP, BH meal stories > yours.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:54 AM
And to top it off, order a beer and its warm. Ask for a cold beer, sorry don't have cold. Most Chinese drink their beer warm, but restaurants will usually always have some cold. Nope, not this one.

So lunch was a warm beer and a hamburger the size of a 15 yo kids face pimple.

SteveWright1
06-02-2014, 05:54 AM
come on mate, you been here long enough, you know everything starts with a prototype sample, copied from something purchased in the West
or maybe you have been spoiled by Gypsies restuarant in Shekou, jeffuas

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 06:02 AM
come on mate, you been here long enough, you know everything starts with a prototype sample, copied from something purchased in the West
or maybe you have been spoiled by Gypsies restuarant in Shekou, jeffuasHey Steve, how u doing brother. You are right mate, but you know as well as I do, we are spoiled in Shekou, western everything there. Im craving a Gypsy's burger right now HNNNNNNNNNNG. Go and eat one for me Steve, so I can live vicariously through you and say g'day to Xavier at Gypsy's for me. Im currently in Bum Fkc Nowhere. Great people here, but just occasionally, I crave some western food which you cant get here.

GreenWave1
06-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Was there anything else with the 'burger'? I mean, seriously, that's not even a bite.

steffo99
06-02-2014, 06:14 AM
You might be on the next episode of some Chinese candid camera show.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Was there anything else with the 'burger'? I mean, seriously, that's not even a bite.No, you don't get fries or anything else with it. You get what you order. I filled up on Chinese food and warm beer.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 06:17 AM
You might on the next episode of some Chinese candid camera show.Aint nobody got time for that here Steff.

SteveWright1
06-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Hey Steve, how u doing brother. You are right mate, but you know as well as I do, we are spoiled in Shekou, western everything there. Im craving a Gypsy's burger right now HNNNNNNNNNNG. Go and eat one for me Steve, so I can live vicariously through you and say g'day to Xavier at Gypsy's for me. Im currently in Bum Fkc Nowhere. Great people here, but just occasionally, I crave some western food which you cant get here.

I was there Saturday jeffaus
My wife and eldest both had the bang bang chicken and vanilla shake
My youngest had 1 of the childrens pizza's and a iced milk tea
I had the roasted spring chicken with baked potato and iced coffee
both boys had waffles, ice cream and chocolate sauce for afters
I sat there waiting and hoping, but both finished the sweets no problem

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 07:28 AM
My youngest had 1 of the childrens pizza's and a iced milk tea
I had the roasted spring chicken with baked potato and iced coffee
both boys had waffles, ice cream and chocolate sauce for afters
I sat there waiting and hoping, but both finished the sweets no problemMy taste buds crying. I had a brief 2 day stop over in Shekou when I came back from Aus. Didn't get to Gypsy's, but went to the George and Dragon and had a big arse Rib eye steak before I came back here.

whatevergirl
06-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Well, portion control is a good thing buttttt.... :D

That's pretty funny, jeffaus!

x-trainer ben
06-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Beer and a burger, sounds like a great lunch... if your not hungry or thirsty :)

steffo99
06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Dangerous work catching those bang bang chickens.

http://i.imgur.com/BrrccN2.png

In&outb4 loud booing

ChazWood
06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Where's the beef?
haha, more like "what's the beef?"

deadwoodgregg
06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Did you guys, living in China, ever have doubts about what you were eating there or did you just have to dive in and accept the food as what you must eat in order to live there?

Karl_Hungus
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM
And to top it off, order a beer and its warm. Ask for a cold beer, sorry don't have cold. Most Chinese drink their beer warm, but restaurants will usually always have some cold. Nope, not this one.

So lunch was a warm beer and a hamburger the size of a 15 yo kids face pimple.

LMAO! That is hilarious.

Chinese drink most things warm .... One time I asked my girlfriend (who is Chinese) why Chinese drink everything warm. She said that they believe ice (and cold drinks) are not good for the stomach.

OzChops
06-02-2014, 04:08 PM
I think it looks awesome, as long as they can be ordered by the dozen.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 05:58 PM
LMAO! That is hilarious.

Chinese drink most things warm .... One time I asked my girlfriend (who is Chinese) why Chinese drink everything warm. She said that they believe ice (and cold drinks) are not good for the stomach.That is absolutely correct Karl. Chinese will not drink cold or ice cold drinks. Everything needs to be warm for the reason your girlfriend told you.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Well, portion control is a good thing buttttt.... :D

That's pretty funny, jeffaus!Hey WEG, how are you sweetie? I wouldn't call it so much like portion control. More like starvation mode.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Dangerous work catching those bang bang chickens.

http://i.imgur.com/BrrccN2.png

In&outb4 loud booingMust spread rep around before giving to Steffo again

kimm4
06-02-2014, 06:07 PM
That's like what one bite of protein? You're gonna lose are your gains bro...hope you got another hamburger on the way home. :D

cowboybiker
06-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Just goes to prove. . Eat Chinese and you're hungry a half hour later.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
That's like what one bite of protein? You're gonna lose are your gains bro...hope you got another hamburger on the way home. :DUnfortunately kimm, its the only place that sells hamburgers here, or should I say, sample bites of hamburgers.

cowboybiker
06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Maybe they were trying to copy White Castle.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Maybe they were trying to copy White Castle.What is White Castle? Unaware srs.

cowboybiker
06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
What is White Castle? Unaware srs.

East coast burger chain.

West coast has In n Out.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Did you guys, living in China, ever have doubts about what you were eating there or did you just have to dive in and accept the food as what you must eat in order to live there?Just jumped right in when I first came here many years ago. But you learn over time what to eat and what not to, but I cant come at things like dried pigs blood for example though.

kimm4
06-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately kimm, its the only place that sells hamburgers here, or should I say, sample bites of hamburgers.

What??!!

Omg...I would die...

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 08:27 PM
East coast burger chain.

West coast has In n Out.Are their burgers as healthy and nutritious looking as the ones I posted?

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 08:32 PM
What??!!

Omg...I would die...When you go out of the bigger cities here and start to get into more rural area, it becomes real Chinese real quick. Big cities are not so much the real China anymore, very westernized, but rural is real China where people can live quite ok on $200 a month and something as simple as a good ol' fashioned hamburger that you and I know, doesn't exist. I cry myself to sleep at night :(

Old-Time-Lifter
06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
That looks like a slider's slider. ;)

crap still on spread with Jeff... :(

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 09:12 PM
That looks like a slider's slider. ;)

crap still on spread with Jeff... :(Oh good Lord, what is a Slider's slider?

Old-Time-Lifter
06-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Oh good Lord, what is a Slider's slider?

Sliders are an order of several small hamburgers. Yours makes a slider look like a slider. ;)

http://kalamazoogourmet.com/images/uploads/inpage/bison_sliders.jpg

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Sliders are an order of several small hamburgers. Yours makes a slider look like a slider. ;)

http://kalamazoogourmet.com/images/uploads/inpage/bison_sliders.jpgAt least you can see the beef in your sliders.

jeffaus
06-02-2014, 10:19 PM
LMAO! That is hilarious.

Chinese drink most things warm .... One time I asked my girlfriend (who is Chinese) why Chinese drink everything warm. She said that they believe ice (and cold drinks) are not good for the stomach.Hey Karl, is your girlfriend living in the states or still in China?

Karl_Hungus
06-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Hey Karl, is your girlfriend living in the states or still in China?

She has been living in the US for about 8 years. She is from Hangzhou, which from the pictures I have seen, is a beautiful city. We want to visit there sometime next year. I have never been to China, so I can't wait to go. I am hoping my Chinese will be good enough by then so I can talk with her family (as well as some of the locals).

SteveWright1
06-03-2014, 03:37 AM
echo Jeffaus on food stuff in China

I dived right in also, tried everything once, and I either liked it or did not
I did not make my mind up that I did not like anything before at least trying it once

had a few pleasant surprises with that attitude (not just food related I might add)
and would have missed out on some fantastic foods if I had eaten with my eyes or from pre conceived notions of what constitutes food

jeffaus
06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
She has been living in the US for about 8 years. She is from Hangzhou, which from the pictures I have seen, is a beautiful city. We want to visit there sometime next year. I have never been to China, so I can't wait to go. I am hoping my Chinese will be good enough by then so I can talk with her family (as well as some of the locals).Hangzhou is one of the nicer cities. Try and get around the country a bit if you can, but definitely get to Shanghai for a look if you have time, which is only a short ride on the fast train from Hangzhou. There's tons of stuff to do and see if you are here for holiday. Don't sweat it to much if you have trouble speaking with the locals Karl. People in general are really friendly and the fact that you make an effort will make them very happy SRS, plus it might just surprise you how many people speak English. Just prepare yourself for the pollution.

latebloomingmom
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
white castle
http://withfriendship.com/images/g/32069/whitecastle6.jpg

Brackneyc
06-03-2014, 06:29 PM
white castle
http://withfriendship.com/images/g/32069/whitecastle6.jpg
Got the ladies of the eighties from here to White Castle

so-tex
06-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I got invited by friends to a new restaurant that just opened in Jixian ( town in nth China I am currently located ) and I see Western style Hamburger on the menu. Hell yeah, Im ordering one of those. My hamburger comes and Im WTF is that?

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/phoonf6/photo2.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/phoonf6/media/photo2.jpg.html)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/phoonf6/photo1.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/phoonf6/media/photo1.jpg.html)

And just in case you are wondering. NO, I don't have Andre the Giant sized hands.

When will they ever learn.What does that writing on the plate mean? Made in Australia? Since your friends were picking up the tab, why didn't you order 300 more of those puppies, and ask to have your beer chilled? Simply tell the waiter/waitress that we are gonna be here awhile. :D

Brackneyc
06-03-2014, 07:03 PM
What does that writing on the plate mean? Made in Australia? Since your friends were picking up the tab, why didn't you order 300 more of those puppies, and ask to have your beer chilled? Simply tell the waiter/waitress that we are gonna be here awhile. :D

Hell, might have been puppy meat come to think of it.

so-tex
06-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Hell, might have been puppy meat come to think of it.Kinda the direction I was going. :p

cowboybiker
06-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Hell, might have been puppy meat come to think of it.

Nice sig.

jeffaus
06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
What does that writing on the plate mean? Made in Australia? Since your friends were picking up the tab, why didn't you order 300 more of those puppies, and ask to have your beer chilled? Simply tell the waiter/waitress that we are gonna be here awhile. :DI cant read Chinese Characters. Hell, half the Chinese cant read them, that's why they have pin yin using English letters.

Apart from that Tex, you only need to know that when I am in the US next time, Im coming to Texas and you better have a big arse steak and some Texan style hamburgers with ice cold beer available for me, or all hell is gonna break loose.

jeffaus
06-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Hell, might have been puppy meat come to think of it.Optional extra, but a bit expensive.

so-tex
06-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I cant read Chinese Characters. Hell, half the Chinese cant read them, that's why they have pin yin using English letters.

Apart from that Tex, you only need to know that when I am in the US next time, Im coming to Texas and you better have a big arse steak and some Texan style hamburgers with ice cold beer available for me, or all hell is gonna break loose.You got it! We have plenty of room, and you can stay as long as you want. You have to earn your keep though. :) Not too srs on the earn the keep part. ;)

jeffaus
06-03-2014, 09:12 PM
You got it! We have plenty of room, and you can stay as long as you want. You have to earn your keep though. :) Not too srs on the earn the keep part. ;)That's Texan hospitality right there. And if you ever come to China, You can stay stay with me, I have no room, you can stay for a day or 2 and if your lucky, I'll feed you a bowl of rice. You'll also have to earn your keep ( local sweat shop is hiring atm )

Not SRS,......................... you can stay for 3 days :D

Karl_Hungus
06-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Hangzhou is one of the nicer cities. Try and get around the country a bit if you can, but definitely get to Shanghai for a look if you have time, which is only a short ride on the fast train from Hangzhou. There's tons of stuff to do and see if you are here for holiday. Don't sweat it to much if you have trouble speaking with the locals Karl. People in general are really friendly and the fact that you make an effort will make them very happy SRS, plus it might just surprise you how many people speak English. Just prepare yourself for the pollution.

Thanks for the advice -- If I go, I will try to take 4 weeks if I can. Would love to see Shanghai as well. You hit the nail on the head with regard to the pollution. My gf told me that one of the big reasons (apart from not liking crowds) that she left Hangzhou was because of the pollution. I did some reading, and it is crazy how bad the air is in some of the more polluted cities. It is good to hear that your experiences with the locals has been positive. I greatly look forward to going.

jeffaus
06-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the advice -- If I go, I will try to take 4 weeks if I can. Would love to see Shanghai as well. You hit the nail on the head with regard to the pollution. My gf told me that one of the big reasons (apart from not liking crowds) that she left Hangzhou was because of the pollution. I did some reading, and it is crazy how bad the air is in some of the more polluted cities. It is good to hear that your experiences with the locals has been positive. I greatly look forward to going.You can PM me anytime Karl if you have any questions, so you can get to understand things from a western perspective v Chinese perspective. I know your GF has been living in US for 8 years, but at the end of the day, when Chinese people go back to China or are in China, they naturally default to Chinese ways and customs. My wife is Chinese, so I know how it works and believe me, there is an art to it. But the most important thing, above all else, is to make sure you give your GF face in front of her family and friends and you give the family face, with their friends and extended family. All else can be forgiven, a breach of this rule cannot. Its complicated, but here's an example.

1. Western guy and Chinese GF out having a good time with friends. GF says, Im feeling a bit tired, I might head home, but you stay and enjoy yourself and will see you later. BF gets home later and all is good, GF is asleep. No problems ensue.

2. Western guy and Chinese GF out having a good time with friends. GF says, Im not feeling too well, I might head home, but you can stay and enjoy yourself and will see you later. BF gets home later and all hell breaks loose.

See the difference? Even though she told you to stay, the correct thing was to go.
You didn't care enough about her IN FRONT OF HER FRIENDS to say, no, Im not staying, you aren't well so I must come home to take care of you. You stayed out. A huge loss of face to GF.

If you are going for 4 weeks, plenty of time to see lots of things. North of country is horrendous for pollution, it gets better the further you head south and by the time you get to Guangdong Province, its at acceptable levels.

deadwoodgregg
06-04-2014, 03:46 AM
Maybe they were trying to copy White Castle.This is my area's equivalent to White Castle.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6987011&d=1401878728

pvsampson
06-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Eat Chinese and you're hungry a half hour later.

Never eaten a Chinese.

so-tex
06-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Never eaten a Chinese.Now that was fukin funny :)

jeffaus
06-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Never eaten a Chinese.I have ;)

Old-Time-Lifter
06-04-2014, 08:38 PM
That's Texan hospitality right there. And if you ever come to China, You can stay stay with me, I have no room, you can stay for a day or 2 and if your lucky, I'll feed you a bowl of rice. You'll also have to earn your keep ( local sweat shop is hiring atm )
Not SRS,......................... you can stay for 3 days :D

Well at least you didn't tell him he'd have to work the red light district....

;)

Karl_Hungus
06-04-2014, 10:59 PM
You can PM me anytime Karl if you have any questions, so you can get to understand things from a western perspective v Chinese perspective. I know your GF has been living in US for 8 years, but at the end of the day, when Chinese people go back to China or are in China, they naturally default to Chinese ways and customs. My wife is Chinese, so I know how it works and believe me, there is an art to it. But the most important thing, above all else, is to make sure you give your GF face in front of her family and friends and you give the family face, with their friends and extended family. All else can be forgiven, a breach of this rule cannot. Its complicated, but here's an example.

Yes, if there is one thing I have learned, it is that the family dynamic is much different than it is in the United States....and there is a lot I still do not fully understand... so thanks, I may very well seek your advice before I leave.

jeffaus
06-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Well at least you didn't tell him he'd have to work the red light district....

;)Market is over serviced, so no money to be made in that Roy. Its a buyers market.

jeffaus
06-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Yes, if there is one thing I have learned, it is that the family dynamic is much different than it is in the United States....and there is a lot I still do not fully understand... so thanks, I may very well seek your advice before I leave.Anytime Karl. Don't be surprised when you meet parents if they ask you straight out, how much money you earn, how much money you have in bank, do you own property and what is it worth etc etc. It's considered rude and intrusive to ask these questions in western culture, but very normal in Asian culture and not considered rude or intrusive at all.