PDA

View Full Version : Lean and still no 6 pack abs?

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

I will sum this up fast. I am 6 1', to 6 2' and weigh 158. Yes, I know this is low, but if I want to get abs what must I do? I don't want to gain fat, I would like to have a lean muscular physique. I have a 4 pack when flexing but when I don't flex, I just see a regular stomach. What should I do to reveal this six pack without flexing, I do crunches every other day and jog some days, I know I have the muscle there already, its been over a year of ab exercises and lifting. Though I did have to stop lifting for some months last year due to surgery which affected my gains. But I am back at it. I weighed more then, probably because I was in the gym every day with my friends. I had more definition then, but still no 6 pack. What should my diet be like to get these abs? Should I eat more, but clean or what? More protein? Help appreciated.

Thanks.

PBateman2
05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
A consistent calorie deficit and training abs around 2-3x/week.

A consistent calorie deficit I would not suggest for you. You will end up like a raisin....and just for abs?

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Food for thought: As evidenced by the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment) being emaciated does not yeild "a six pack".

http://theguycancook.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/minnesota_starvation_experiment.jpg

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 02:32 PM
The last thing I want to do is that, I want a ripped up physique, I eat pretty much whatever most of the time, not amazing on diet, but apparently not a lot, I am now getting into nutrition, so I just want to know what I need to do to have the abs showing. I obvi need to put on more weight too but rid of the fat that seems to cover just the abs area, a slight bit, I don't have any anywhere else affecting physique.

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
^^^ Your first goal should be to gain at least 40 to 50 pounds and, thereafter, you can try to get "a six pack" if you so desire.

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
^^^ Your first goal should be to gain at least 40 to 50 pounds and, thereafter, you can try to get "a six pack" if you so desire.

This ^

Abs are a muscle...just like any other muscle, YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP THEM.

If you have not developed them, there will be nothing to show.

You need to bulk & actually build lean body mass (muscle) before you will ever look anywhere near the physique you desire.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 02:44 PM
The physique will take time I know, but the abs don't have to, I've been doing ab exercises for so long, so it must just be a layer of fat covering them?

Simplicityx
05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

This.

Anyway we can see a pic?

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
The physique will take time I know, but the abs don't have to, I've been doing ab exercises for so long, so it must just be a layer of fat covering them?

Actually, YES, abs will take just as long.

YOU HAVE NOT TRAINED THEM ENOUGH TO HAVE THEM!
Just because you've been doing a lot of exercise, that does not mean you've been doing it CORRECTLY

You have to also partner it with the proper nutrition for development.

Please pay attention to my previous post.

You should not be trying to lose anymore weight, and even if you do lose more fat, you still will not have the physique you're looking for.
You need to be focusing on bulking and actually building some muscle (to include your abs).

Only after you've done that are you in a position to cut weight and have the physique you're desiring.

PLEASE REVIEW FOR VISIUAL EVIDENCE OF WHAT I'M SAYING

This is me before ever bulking.
I weighed roughly 140lbs...notice how my abs are BARELY visible?
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t609/caseyjkrajenka/1780820_528962787217540_1341964743_n-1.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/caseyjkrajenka/media/1780820_528962787217540_1341964743_n-1.jpg.html)

This is me after bulking & cutting.
I weighed 168lbs...notice how the abs are MUCH MORE predominant/visible?
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t609/caseyjkrajenka/1901327_546792305434588_7414000446686254295_n.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/caseyjkrajenka/media/1901327_546792305434588_7414000446686254295_n.jpg. html)

This is because I actually BUILT MASS in my abs.
So when I cut weight, there was muscle to show.

Cronos1247
05-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Whatever you do, don't try to cut anymore.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I get what you are saying but crunches pretty much 3-5 times a week for 2 years and for a good 6 months weighted ones and such should have abs, my friends who work out for a few months have abs and they don't really lift they just like the six pack. All the talk on youtube its all about lowering the bf with nutrition and cardio and barely anything to do with crunches etc.

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 02:53 PM
I get what you are saying but crunches pretty much 3-5 times a week for 2 years and for a good 6 months weighted ones and such should have abs, my friends who work out for a few months have abs and they don't really lift they just like the six pack. All the talk on youtube its all about lowering the bf with nutrition and cardio and barely anything to do with crunches etc.

No.
Because you did not eat enough to develop muscle.

Stop listening to idiotic sources like friends + YouTube and take in ACTUAL information.

Please review below.

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t609/caseyjkrajenka/1780820_528962787217540_1341964743_n-1.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/caseyjkrajenka/media/1780820_528962787217540_1341964743_n-1.jpg.html)

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t609/caseyjkrajenka/1901327_546792305434588_7414000446686254295_n.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/caseyjkrajenka/media/1901327_546792305434588_7414000446686254295_n.jpg. html)

This is because I actually BUILT MASS in my abs.
So when I cut weight, there was muscle to show.

If you're going to continue to argue with logic, why did you come to the forum in the first place?

What you've been told/think you understand about the process is incorrect.
It's not your fault, this is common with most newcomers due to the misinformation they hear from sources (friends, youtube, media, etc.).

But you are being given the information to succeed and refusing to listen.
Stop.

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
^^^ And OP is ~8 inches taller than you at 158 pounds.

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
^^^ And OP is ~8 inches taller than you at 158 pounds.

Too bad his abs aren't as thick as his mentality towards accepting new information.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't want to get fat bulking either . . how would one go about nutrition and "lean bulking" per say.

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 03:02 PM
With all due respect, may I ask if you have been or are currently being treated for an eating disorder?

IH8RICE
05-29-2014, 03:02 PM
No.
Because you did not eat enough to develop muscle.

Stop listening to idiotic sources like friends + YouTube and take in ACTUAL information.

Please review below.

If you're going to continue to argue with logic, why did you come to the forum in the first place?

What you've been told/think you understand about the process is incorrect.
It's not your fault, this is common with most newcomers due to the misinformation they hear from sources (friends, youtube, media, etc.).

But you are being given the information to succeed and refusing to listen.
Stop.

Strong transformation man. And he's 100% correct OP. It's going to take time, a lot of time if you do it correctly but if you follow logic and the advice on here, you'll get what you desire. Start listening please.

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Strong transformation man. Yes, he's inspiring!!!

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't want to get fat bulking either . . how would one go about nutrition and "lean bulking" per say.

Bulking does not mean getting fat.
I put on over 30lbs in my bulk and looked much leaner/healthier when the process was done (even still had visible abs).

The key is to control your weight progress (around .5-1lb/week of gain) and monitor your body in the mirror.

This is a slow process, and even though you say you've been doing things for a while...you have not been doing them correctly, so you're starting from square one.

Do not let this discourage you.
Its going to take time and patience to achieve your goal.
This is not a fast process.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 03:21 PM
How would I go about doing this, do I have to track macros and all?

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 03:22 PM
How would I go about doing this, do I have to track macros and all?To start learning the basics about nutrition, please read the relevant stickies at the top of the nutrition forum as well as this:

COMPOSING A RATIONAL DIET

Advice on diet and nutrition is often based on myths and, even more so, on the marketing message of supplement companies and self-proclaimed diet gurus with agendas contrary to your interests. Please don't allow yourself, your health, your fitness goals or your wallet to be compromised by the prevalent misinformation. Learn the basics of nutrition and start engaging in healthy, rational dietary habits that can last a lifetime.

The first step is to discard biased advice on nutrition and diet, and, in its place, embrace simple logic:

Compose a diet that ensures micronutrient and macronutrient sufficiency, derived predominantly from whole and minimally processed foods if possible, with remaining caloric intake being largely discretionary within the bounds of common sense.

Caloric Intake

Energy balance is the primary dietary driver of body weight and it also impacts body composition. A chronic surplus of calories will result in increased body weight and a chronic deficit of calories will result in a loss of body weight.

In other words, in order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Thus, the first step in constructing any rational diet is to get a sense of how many calories per day, on average, you should consume in order to progress towards your goals.

The average number of calories you expend per day -- called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) -- is a function of your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your average weekly activity level.

To estimate your BMR, it's important to have a sense of how much lean body mass (LBM) you carry. If you're not sure, post a photo or two and we can estimate your percentage body fat and, from this number and your total body weight, it's easy to estimate LBM by using the following formula:

LBM = body weight * (1 - percentage body fat)

To estimate BMR, use the the Katch-McArdle formula:

BMR = 370 + (9.8 * LBM in pounds)
or
BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM in kg)

The next step is to estimate average weekly activity using the following guidelines to calculate an activity factor (AF):

1.1 - 1.2 = Sedentary (desk job, and little formal exercise, this will be most of you students)

1.3 - 1.4 = Lightly Active (light daily activity and light exercise 1-3 days a week)

1.5 - 1.6 = Moderately Active (moderately daily Activity & moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)

1.7 - 1.8 = Very Active (physically demanding lifestyle & hard exercise 6-7 days a week)

1.9 - 2.2 = Extremely Active (athletes in endurance training or very hard physical job)

To estimate TDEE (the calories at which you will neither gain nor lose tissue weight), use the following formula:

TDEE = BMR * AF

Now that you've estimated your TDEE, it's important to refine that estimate empirically. To do so, consume an average amount of calories equal to estimated TDEE for two weeks, monitoring weight change. The results will confirm your actual TDEE.

Once you know your actually TDEE, set your caloric intake to match your goals as follows:

To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.
To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.
To gain weight, consume 10% 20% more than TDEE.

Monitor weight change via the scale and also body composition via the mirror and how clothing fits, making adjustments as needed biweekly.

Macronutrient Intake

Ensure that your intake of macronutrients meets sufficiency (as defined below), with remaining macronutrient composition of the diet being largely a function of personal preference.

Ideally, ensure macronutrient sufficiency predominantly or, ideally, entirely from whole and minimally processed foods.

Protein: ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese) -- the highest amount justified by research. (http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/)

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese) -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research. (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748)

Micronutrient Intake

Take care and use good judgement in food selection and portioning to ensure that micronutrient sufficiency is reached without excessive intake from dietary sources and/or supplements.

As with macronutrient sufficiency, one should ensure micronutrient sufficiency predominantly or, ideally, entirely from whole and minimally processed foods.

To get a good sense of recommended intake of vitamins and minerals, please review this (http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables) USDA guidelines webpage.

You'll find the following information particularly helpful:

Intakes: Recommended Intakes for Individuals (http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/5_Summary%20Table%20Tables%201-4.pdf)

RDA and Adequate Intake for Vitamins and Elements (http://iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/RDA%20and%20AIs_Vitamin%20and%20Elements.pdf)

Upper Limit for Vitamins and Elements (http://iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/ULs%20for%20Vitamins%20and%20Elements.pdf)

Electrolytes and Water (http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/442A08B899F44DF9AAD083D86164C75B.ashx)

Meal Timing, Composition & Frequency

The number of meals you consume, the timing of those meals and the macro/micronutrient composition of each meal is largely a function of personal preference.

While it might be "optimal" to consume more than one meal per day and less than 5 meals per day, the simple truth is that any difference that directly results from such fine tuning is likely too small to notice even after years of training.

Thus, base your meal timing, composition and frequency on your subjective preference such as to optimize your sense of energy, performance, satiety, palatability, convenience, social/business life and sustainability.

Do not hesitate to very all three factors from day to day as circumstance dictates. In other words, do not become a slave to routine, with inflexibility compromising your quality of life.

Pre & Post Workout Nutrition

What (if anything) you consume before and after your workout does not play a significant direct role in the outcome of your diet, beyond personal preference.

Why? Because what matters in terms of direct impact on outcomes is total daily intake of all nutrients.

Thus, you should optimize based on how you respond to training in a fed or fasted state, and based on your hungry after exercise. In other words, use common sense.

Supplements

Supplements are just that, products that are intended to supplement deficiencies in your diet. If your diet is properly composed then there's no need or unique benefit to using supplements.

If your diet isn't properly composed and, thus, you have deficiencies, try to fix your diet to cure such deficiencies though the consumption of whole and minimally processed foods. If you can't fix your diet, then use the lowest dose supplement(a) needed to cure any remaining deficiencies.

InItForFitness
05-29-2014, 03:29 PM
How would I go about doing this, do I have to track macros and all?

If you'd like to do things correctly and see some real results.
Yes.

Review Pug's post above for a detailed breakdown & explanation on the subject.

It has everything you need to get off on the right foot.

BarbellzNBacon
05-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Abs are the final piece of the puzzle, not the foundation of a good physique.

WonderPug
05-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Abs are the final piece of the puzzle, not the foundation of a good physique.That's a great way to put it!!!

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 05:30 PM
So basically what kind of macro ratio should I use to lean bulk if I weigh 158 currently? How would I do this on myfitnesspal or loseit apps, and how long should I do this for?

hwa12
05-29-2014, 05:47 PM
The ratio is incidental; focus on meeting minimums for protein and fat in grams per lb of body weight and eating at a calorie surplus of about 10% over your TDEE. If you need to calculate those numbers, read Pug's post.

ELLSKIES
05-29-2014, 06:13 PM
The ratio is incidental; focus on meeting minimums for protein and fat in grams per lb of body weight and eating at a calorie surplus of about 10% over your TDEE. If you need to calculate those numbers, read Pug's post.
^^^This. And you need to get on a proven mass-building program focused around compound exercises. Also, you'll want to focus on WEIGHTED ab exercises with PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD. Isometrics like planks are helpful too. Good luck!

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I used this gentlemans video for my macro ratio for a bulk at my current 158 pounds. Thus calculated 248 grams of carbs, 190 grams of protein (by using his protein formula, unless body weight is better for protein grams amount) and 79 grams for fat. It wont let me post links but math should be correct. And thanks for the added help all.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 06:29 PM
The video is called How to Calculate Macros for Lean Bulking (Step by Step) by musclemonsters youtube channel if anyone cares : ]

MEJ1990TM1
05-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Bulking does not mean getting fat.
I put on over 30lbs in my bulk and looked much leaner/healthier when the process was done (even still had visible abs).

The key is to control your weight progress (around .5-1lb/week of gain) and monitor your body in the mirror.

This is a slow process, and even though you say you've been doing things for a while...you have not been doing them correctly, so you're starting from square one.

Do not let this discourage you.
Its going to take time and patience to achieve your goal.
This is not a fast process.

And such is the problem with most people these days. Everyone wants the quick/easy solution. Not really directing that at the OP, or anyone in particular. Perhaps instead of worrying about developing the superficial muscles on the outside, it might be a wiser idea to build a true strong core. They are not the same thing.

Mdenatale
05-29-2014, 07:02 PM
I used this gentlemans video for my macro ratio for a bulk at my current 158 pounds. Thus calculated 248 grams of carbs, 190 grams of protein (by using his protein formula, unless body weight is better for protein grams amount) and 79 grams for fat. It wont let me post links but math should be correct. And thanks for the added help all.

Did you read Wonderpug's post that explained exactly what to do? It doesn't seem like you did.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
I glanced.

ahawk01
05-29-2014, 07:14 PM

wow protein is way too high.. 160 is probably bit high.. Concentrate on calories and protein, you need don't get lost in everything else. Find a program that concentrates more on low reps high weights. There's some good A/B day full body stuff floating around.

VmissileX
05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Pics of your physique OP?

VmissileX
05-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Yes, he's inspiring!!!

If WP says this Casey, you know you're winning.

FreshAndSuave
05-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I really wanna know how to go about doing this on myfitness pal what do I set the goal weight too, do I just eat whatever and hit the macros? I tried this morning on lose it and when I ate certain foods it made my protein percentage for example go down and carbs go up and vice versa, why is that? This was before I started this thread and all too btw. Should I go out and buy a kitchen gram scale like all the youtube guys too to measure all the food out?

VmissileX
05-29-2014, 07:58 PM
I really wanna know how to go about doing this on myfitness pal, do I just eat whatever and hit the macros? I tried this morning on lose it and when I ate certain foods it made my protein percentage for example go down and carbs go up and vice versa, why is that? This was before I started this thread and all too btw. Should I go out and buy a kitchen gram scale like all the youtube guys too to measure all the food out?

yes-no.

Concentrate on whole foods to get your micronutrients and fiber sufficiency. Don't let this take control of you though, allow yourself to enjoy the foods you eat aswell.

Keep a caloric surplus going. for you a 1lb a week isn't bad.

You may buy a kitchen scale for accuracy.

MetilHed
05-29-2014, 09:02 PM
I glanced.

An astounding amount of effort on your part. Abs should be in tomorrow.

ELLSKIES
05-30-2014, 03:07 AM
An astounding amount of effort on your part. Abs should be in tomorrow.

LOLOLOL (On spread.)

FreshAndSuave
05-30-2014, 06:49 AM
I mean I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder right now, I just want to have abs to be honest, I already have been making progress on all my other muscles. If I just follow a simple diet of eating healthy choices and fresh foods without accounting for macros if I so chose I should be good right? Fruits, veggies, and lean meats?

chamelious
05-30-2014, 06:55 AM
I mean I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder right now, I just want to have abs to be honest, I already have been making progress on all my other muscles. If I just follow a simple diet of eating healthy choices and fresh foods without accounting for macros if I so chose I should be good right? Fruits, veggies, and lean meats?

At this point i think its fair to call troll.

ironwill2008
05-30-2014, 06:57 AM

Sure, brah. You'll be shredded to the bone in no time at all with that great amount of effort and attention to detail.

dbman4
05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
You may very well be making progress because your getting the benefits of lifting for the first time so the stimulus might work regardless of what / how much you eat Your body dosent care if something is healthy or unhealthy , it cares about how much energy is being taken versus how much is burned as well as meeting macronutrients and micronutrient sufficiency. If you are only eating protein and vegetables , you may not be eating enough and as a result , any attempts to gain weight on the form of muscle won't be realized. Again , amazing things happen in the beginning stages and a few select people can successfully recomp , but you're likely going to spin your wheels if you only focus on types of foods instead of eating in a way that fits a specific goal

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Please stop wasting time with OP.
Its evident at this point he is either :
A) A troll
B) To dense to listen to advice.

OP keep doing what you're doing.
You'll be on that Justin Beiber body in no time.

Jcart159
05-30-2014, 08:20 AM

IIF would you mind telling how long you bulked for, and what kind of ab training you did during that period of time? Your results are probably the best tool to show someone who is already skinny thinking they need to cut to get abs for summer.

Great job by the way!

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 08:26 AM
I really wanna know how to go about doing this on myfitness pal what do I set the goal weight too, do I just eat whatever and hit the macros? I tried this morning on lose it and when I ate certain foods it made my protein percentage for example go down and carbs go up and vice versa, why is that? This was before I started this thread and all too btw. Should I go out and buy a kitchen gram scale like all the youtube guys too to measure all the food out?

You have an unhealthy obsession.

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 08:32 AM
IIF would you mind telling how long you bulked for, and what kind of ab training you did during that period of time? Your results are probably the best tool to show someone who is already skinny thinking they need to cut to get abs for summer.

Great job by the way!

9-10 months and added 30lbs (slightly over).
Abs 2x/week. Nothing more than weighted crunches + weighted oblique crunches for exercise.

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 08:48 AM
9-10 months and added 30lbs (slightly over).
Abs 2x/week. Nothing more than weighted crunches + weighted oblique crunches for exercise.

Dem gainz of peace.

I forget where the get extremely low bodyfat then bulk thing came from...

WonderPug
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
I just want to have abs to be honest,?My suggestion: start a thread in the supplement (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1) forum asking for help selecting all the supplements that will help you reach your goals.

Many folks there will be happy to respond to your post and please remember to buy all the supplements that are recommend right here on bodybuilding.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/).

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
My suggestion.

Watch out, other sensible noobs may take this advice.

BarbellzNBacon
05-30-2014, 09:48 AM
At this point i think its fair to call troll.

You'd be surprised how many of my friends in the 17-20 range think like this.

Tomerjk
05-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I think this article which was posted here last week may help you. Search for the article "6 reasons why your abs aren't showing in this site(Sorry for not linking it, I cant do it since I dont have enough posts here)

dnold55
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
My suggestion: start a thread in the supplement (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1) forum asking for help selecting all the supplements that will help you reach your goals.

Many folks there will be happy to respond to your post and please remember to buy all the supplements that are recommend right here on bodybuilding.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/).

This goes against anything you've ever posted and I love it

Jcart159
05-30-2014, 11:32 AM
This goes against anything you've ever posted and I love it

He changed his mind when BB.com started selling his new line of Pug Protein.

Not srs please don't ban me.

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM

Reported.

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 11:35 AM

welcome to baned camp

FreshAndSuave
05-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm not trolling what so ever . . I think its more childish how you guys are acting; saying Justin Bieber and all, I'm just trying to ask all of the routes one could go. There have to be ways to get abs without counting macros and all. Surely a good well rounded diet could help someone on this path. There are so many youtube people and friends of mine, people at gym who go about fitness that way and look quite good.

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
There are also a ton of idiots out there.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Best of luck with your vision OP.

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm not trolling what so ever . . I think its more childish how you guys are acting; saying Justin Bieber and all, I'm just trying to ask all of the routes one could go. There have to be ways to get abs without counting macros and all. Surely a good well rounded diet could help someone on this path. There are so many youtube people and friends of mine, people at gym who go about fitness that way and look quite good.

I'm not trying to act like a prick but...

You are on the verge of a eating/body image disorder. You need to gain weight. The way you are approaching this is extremely unhealthy, and you have an unhealthy obsession of fitness and an unhealthy fear of being fat.

You may need some psychological help/guidance.

fotv
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
InItForFitness, how long did you bulk and cut for between the 1st and 2nd picture? I'm similar to your first picture (maybe a little more body fat) and am wondering how long to do a clean bulk for before I cut. I was hoping around 8-9 months, so I can cut for 2-3 months in time for next summer. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

theguyfromDK98
05-30-2014, 01:18 PM
just eat... not that hard. eat in a surplus and lift weights?
not rocketscience

libtolu
05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
You're happy to focus on eating healthy foods but you don't want to address a healthy bodyweight?

You're tall you shouldn't weigh 150lbs

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
InItForFitness, how long did you bulk and cut for between the 1st and 2nd picture? I'm similar to your first picture (maybe a little more body fat) and am wondering how long to do a clean bulk for before I cut. I was hoping around 8-9 months, so I can cut for 2-3 months in time for next summer. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Here is my full transformation with timeline included.

http://i.imgur.com/sXyGH31.png

WonderPug
05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
^^^ Now that's a complete transformation: mass, hat, beard and tats.

InItForFitness
05-30-2014, 05:13 PM
^^^ Now that's a complete transformation: mass, hat, beard and tats.

Not to mention from married and angry to happily divorced :)