PDA

View Full Version : Supplements on a budget

Tranor35
05-29-2014, 02:45 PM
OK...here goes. I'm not new to working out in the least bit, but I am fairly new to beginning/taking supplements. I have been trying to read up on all that I can, but their is just so much out there. I have decided to try to maintain and keep it to the basics, if you can call it that. I take a pre-workout (cellucorC4), BSN AminoX (one dose pre and post workout), and Creatine. I also take protein shakes now and then. I guess my question is that their seems to be some amino's that do the same as pre-workouts, if I understand it correctly. If so, do you need a pre-workout if you're taking amino's pre- and post-workout. And do I have the basics covered for someone that is on a tighter budget and can't really afford stacked packs and so on? Thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

DuracellBunny
05-29-2014, 02:52 PM
OK...here goes. I'm not new to working out in the least bit, but I am fairly new to beginning/taking supplements. I have been trying to read up on all that I can, but their is just so much out there. I have decided to try to maintain and keep it to the basics, if you can call it that. I take a pre-workout (cellucorC4), BSN AminoX (one dose pre and post workout), and Creatine. I also take protein shakes now and then. I guess my question is that their seems to be some amino's that do the same as pre-workouts, if I understand it correctly. If so, do you need a pre-workout if you're taking amino's pre- and post-workout. And do I have the basics covered for someone that is on a tighter budget and can't really afford stacked packs and so on? Thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

People will argue, but here is my 2c. If you are on a budget, buy some creatine mono (as it is dirt cheap) and spend the rest on food. Imo, if money is tight, you will get more bang for your buck just sticking with food. If you are having problems getting the protein in and have no issues with lactose, supermilk is far cheaper than whey (to make supermilk, buy the biggest tub of powdered milk you can find and add scoops of powdered milk to normal milk; hey presto, supermilk)

bodyhard
05-29-2014, 02:53 PM
OV35 people hate supps......

They are all going to tell you to buy food......

Go elsewhere son........go elsewhere....

For the record I love supplements.....

Oceanside
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
supplements will rot your liver and give you farts.

bodyhard
05-29-2014, 03:29 PM
supplements will rot your liver and give you farts.

Supplements they are good for your heart, the more you take the more you fart!!

SP1966
05-29-2014, 03:31 PM
WhfK98f5S00

doughnutgut
05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
OP.

I am the tightest guy you would ever meet. Creatine, yup. But not any longer.

PWO, Stim drink.
Post, Cheap steak n eggs.

Broteen = Plated food.

Works for me.

IMO. This lifestyle can be as cheap or as expensive as you WANT it to be. Go ahead and buy 200 lifting shoes. An Inzer belt and sleeves, wraps, grips, etc.

But although they are great tools and are needed possibly later down the line. You may as well get into a consistent routine before forking out on supps.

Just my 0.00000000002p worth.

IIIWolverineIII
05-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Easy: don't buy supps.

Not only are they unnecessary, overall they are very ineffective.

Best gains I ever made is when I stopped taking pwo, creatine, bcaas, and whey.

Whey is food so if you wheat extra boost in protein/cals, then go ahead.

so-tex
05-29-2014, 05:34 PM
supplements will rot your liver and give you farts.Yeah, Deer Antler Velvet did that to me.

Supplements they are good for your heart, the more you take the more you fart!!See above.

EjnarKolinkar
05-29-2014, 10:26 PM
I would skip aminos, if consuming adequate protein to save $$$. Taking aminos in the face of adequeate protein is kind of like sprinkling 1/2 a packet of sugar on a Krispy Kreme donut.

beachguy498
05-30-2014, 08:26 AM
I use a few supplements. Creatine powder, whey protein and a test booster (Tribulus Pro). I get everything at The Vitamin Shoppe and find that they have the best prices, run specials and you earn points for everything that you buy.

Rob

ajdahlheimer
05-30-2014, 08:47 AM
For the record I love supplements.....

I took a 10+ year hiatus from any supplement at all. Started back on the normal stuff (creatine, protein, PWO stim, etc.) a couple years ago---and I couldn't believe the positive physical changes (bigger, stronger, more defined, etc.). I just choose not to stack anything. When my creatine runs out---I start my protein---when that runs out--I start my PWO, and so forth. Just a personal preference.

Simpske
05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
I just stopped using creatine a few weeks ago. No weight loss. Lost a rep on heavy lifts. 5x5. Recovery time sucks now though.

ajdahlheimer
05-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Recovery time sucks now though.

Taking anything with BCAA's, brah? (like Phase8). That always has helped my recovery time, especially since I both run and lift. For what it's worth......

scullin
05-30-2014, 10:53 AM
1) Get plain creatine monohydrate powder, it's very cheap and is the most well researched supp there is.
2) Get the cheapeset whey you can find (chocolate always tastes best IMO)
3) I take a pre-workout but it's basically for the caffeine to boost energy. I'm about to run out actually and will probably just go with coffee.

If you don't want to spend a lot, that's all you need. Can add stuff like fish oil and a multi if you like, those are relatively cheap too.

bodyhard
05-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Easy: don't buy supps.

Not only are they unnecessary, overall they are very ineffective.

Best gains I ever made is when I stopped taking pwo, creatine, bcaas, and whey.

Whey is food so if you wheat extra boost in protein/cals, then go ahead. So wait let me get this you stop taking supps and you made the. best gains and that is you in the AV? Lol Okay then

DuracellBunny
05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
So wait let me get this you stop taking supps and you made the. best gains and that is you in the AV? Lol Okay then

He's only 21, don't expect him to talk sense yet ;)

scullin
05-30-2014, 02:49 PM
So wait let me get this you stop taking supps and you made the. best gains and that is you in the AV? Lol Okay then
But he's got proof....

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/16/73162901/profilepic/iPoRIdwbZdHUThtQTFQnknuMrzVXLwLPuuJDa.jpg

VmissileX
05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I am the tightest guy you would ever meet. .

Are ya now?;);)

Pepper thy angus

bodyhard
05-31-2014, 09:03 AM
But he's got proof....

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/16/73162901/profilepic/iPoRIdwbZdHUThtQTFQnknuMrzVXLwLPuuJDa.jpg

He should be the poster boy on why you SHOULD use supps! :D :D

Old-Time-Lifter
05-31-2014, 09:41 AM
OP look at the bottom of the page for more threads on this topic. Not saying they are worth looking at because I didn't read them.

I use some supp's but we're all different in what we will and won't respond to.

Good luck.