PDA

View Full Version : Carbs got me confused

caleb58
05-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I realize that carbs are essential and know the science behind that. I'm doing a lean bulk (or trying to) following a 40/40/20 macro split. And my question is when to take in the majority of my carbs? Everytime I eat carbs it's either oats yams white potato so they are all low gi. I workout in evening around 5 so my thinking as of right now is to carb load for breakfast then go carb heavy pre&post workout is that way flawed to where I'm storing fat? Or should I just do all my meals at the equal 40/40/20 split.

I've done so much reading and research, and I know I'm overthinking so I figure I could ask the bros.

J_dazzle23
05-27-2014, 01:46 PM
I realize that carbs are essential and know the science behind that. I'm doing a lean bulk (or trying to) following a 40/40/20 macro split. And my question is when to take in the majority of my carbs? Everytime I eat carbs it's either oats yams white potato so they are all low gi. I workout in evening around 5 so my thinking as of right now is to carb load for breakfast then go carb heavy pre&post workout is that way flawed to where I'm storing fat? Or should I just do all my meals at the equal 40/40/20 split.

I've done so much reading and research, and I know I'm overthinking so I figure I could ask the bros.

Not a bro but I will e-brofist you. :)

Meal timing is not going to make an appreciable difference, unless you are an endurance athlete. Just hit your required daily goals, that will get you 99.9% of the way there.

Also, I would recommend reading the stickies on calculating macronutrient intake, as doing a percentage split is usually less than optimal.

tricepwarrior
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Go to IIFYM.com and use the TDEE calculator. That's what I have used for my macros and it has helped immensely.

As far as when to ingest carbs, do not worry about the timing. Worry about the overall picture. Get in your daily recommendation each day. If you eat those carbs between 8 meals or 3 meals it will not make a difference. Meal timing has no significant effect on metabolism.

As the poster above stated, some endurance athletes do carb load. But if you're just a regular lifter, don't worry about that.

BazingaO
05-27-2014, 01:52 PM
The timing of your carbs is irrelavant regarding body composition.
It's just a personnal preference since you may train better with carbs or without them.

Glycemic index is also irrelevant regarding body compostion, it will make no noticeable differences, even over a long period.

Read the stickies to learn more about this topic.

caleb58
05-27-2014, 01:54 PM
All repped. Feeling stupid, heading to stickies

BazingaO
05-27-2014, 02:05 PM

We all start somewhere. :)

tricepwarrior
05-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Don't worry about it dude. We all have questions. That's how you learn :)