PDA

View Full Version : Absorption of cooking oils

Webbie93
05-26-2014, 01:48 PM
How do you all incorporate fats from oils and butters that you cooked with? Like how much actually gets absorbed into the food and how much remains in the bottom. I prefer to not cooked with them but I get one meal made for me a day and she always uses oils and butters and its a pain to figure how much gets absorbed and then to figure what percentage of the total amount I ate of the food she made. I always will ask how much was used but it is still very difficult to calculate. That being said I save a ton of calories always so it really just determines my fat intake for the rest of that night.

J_dazzle23
05-26-2014, 05:08 PM
How do you all incorporate fats from oils and butters that you cooked with? Like how much actually gets absorbed into the food and how much remains in the bottom. I prefer to not cooked with them but I get one meal made for me a day and she always uses oils and butters and its a pain to figure how much gets absorbed and then to figure what percentage of the total amount I ate of the food she made. I always will ask how much was used but it is still very difficult to calculate. That being said I save a ton of calories always so it really just determines my fat intake for the rest of that night.

I'm freaking in for this. I'm calling the entire nutrition section out. I've never been able to find a good way to do this, and as good as I've gotten at estimating macros, fat is too high calorie to play guessing games too much with

4k reps for good answers!!!

loganhart
05-26-2014, 05:11 PM
I use coconut oil quite a bit and I just drizzle what's left in the frying pan on the food on my plate.

GrantKevin
05-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Say I pour 25ml of oil into the pan. Then I see that some of the oil is leftover. Measure that amount of oil. Then after finishing the dish, see if any oil is left. Measure that oil as well. From 25ml, say there was 5ml from the pan left and then 2.5ml from the plate left. So it would be 17.5ml consumed.
Best I can think of...

Domicron
05-26-2014, 05:17 PM
i think consistency is what's important. most fat is going to be between 100-120 calories/tbls. so either measure what's left, if there's a lot, or just divide by 2.

end of the day, stay consistent, and adjust portions or recipe or counting method based on your weight.

xukusari
05-26-2014, 06:14 PM
With something like this I would overshoot rather than undershoot yourself by dividing the amount of oil used by the percentage of the dish you ate.
But it's also going to depend on the food you eat, foods like rice absorb oil look a sponge while some meats and fish absorb different amounts of oil/butter.

J_dazzle23
05-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Any ideas on how much actually cooks off guys?

GrantKevin
05-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Nope... But I wouldn't think it would be that significant.

Domicron
05-26-2014, 06:36 PM

keep in mind when you track calories, that on any given food there's going to be a discrepancy between the listed nutrients, which are an average, and the actual nutrients, which can vary by quite a bit. ironically, the accuracy goes down the less processed a food goes.

if you're going with 2 steaks, for instance, even if they weigh the same they won't have the same nutrient breakdown. fat distribution, water, the cows diet if they came from different animals, etc. don't freak out about something that's out of your control; pick a method that balances convenience with a reasonable amount of accuracy and stick with it.

J_dazzle23
05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
keep in mind when you track calories, that on any given food there's going to be a discrepancy between the listed nutrients, which are an average, and the actual nutrients, which can vary by quite a bit. ironically, the accuracy goes down the less processed a food goes.

if you're going with 2 steaks, for instance, even if they weigh the same they won't have the same nutrient breakdown. fat distribution, water, the cows diet if they came from different animals, etc. don't freak out about something that's out of your control; pick a method that balances convenience with a reasonable amount of accuracy and stick with it.

True. What do they call that, consistent inconsitency?

Dammit, I'm on spread. Already repped you today lol

adamrandall2
05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
I removed the problem, I do not cook with oil, just put the lid over the top of whatever I am cooking & use a stick free pan.
As far as oil leeching from meat etc, my way of thinking is that that has been already taken into account on the nutritional sticker - any left over in the pan by rights should be minused off the per 100gm calorie guide on the pack.

bsc77
05-26-2014, 07:29 PM

Really difficult to estimate but if you want to spend the time and effort here goes. You'll need to cook the same dish twice.

Weigh your food raw then cook it until it's done. Weigh the end result, this will tell you how much water has been cooked off. For the second batch do the exact same thing this time using oil. Weigh the cooked meal and subtract the weight of the first meal and you should have a pretty good estimate of the oil absorbed.

It's key to start with the same raw weight and use the same cooking time to be as accurate as possible. Also use the grams setting on your scale.

J_dazzle23
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Really difficult to estimate but if you want to spend the time and effort here goes. You'll need to cook the same dish twice.

Weigh your food raw then cook it until it's done. Weigh the end result, this will tell you how much water has been cooked off. For the second batch do the exact same thing this time using oil. Weigh the cooked meal and subtract the weight of the first meal and you should have a pretty good estimate of the oil absorbed.

It's key to start with the same raw weight and use the same cooking time to be as accurate as possible. Also use the grams setting on your scale.

Delivered

bsc77
05-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Delivered

Thanks bro, I used this method a few times, time consuming but worth it if you want to know.