PDA

View Full Version : drained vs undrained serving sizes in canned food

dylanbohn95
05-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Just a simple question about canned food products, (yes i will eat some canned veggies with low or no added sodium) I was looking at the labels on two different brands of sweet peas, on one can it's 50 calories for 125 grams "drained" and doesn't give info on the "undrained" version of the serving size, whatever that means. But another brand has the same food, sweet peas, at 80 calories undrained and 60 calories drained but list the serving size for drained at 1/3 cup which is smaller of a serving than the 1/2 cup (125 grams) for undrained. I guess i'm just being OCD about this and it probably sounds like a pretty stupid question but a difference of 30 calories adds up over time, making me take in either more or less calories than i really think i am. Any insight on this would be helpful bros thanks.

dylanbohn95
05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
bump

cls91
05-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Does it give the serving size in grams for the first one, or just 1/3 cup?

Are they both canned in the same liquid?

Same ingredients and macro breakdown?

dylanbohn95
05-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Does it give the serving size in grams for the first one, or just 1/3 cup?

Are they both canned in the same liquid?

Same ingredients and macro breakdown?it just says 1/3 cup for the 60 calorie version and it only gives the macro profile for the 80 calorie version FRUSTRATION X[ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see why I'm confused.

cls91
05-26-2014, 05:10 PM
it just says 1/3 cup for the 60 calorie version and it only gives the macro profile for the 80 calorie version FRUSTRATION X[ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see why I'm confused.

Well clearly the 1/3 cup is a different amount of grams than the 1/2 cup serving; which is why you always go by weight.

Assuming its the exact same product with only 1 ingredient, thats the only logical explanation.

dylanbohn95
05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Well clearly the 1/3 cup is a different amount of grams than the 1/2 cup serving; which is why you always go by weight.

Assuming its the exact same product with only 1 ingredient, thats the only logical explanation. right but I can't weigh 1/3 cup and I don't trust measuring cups on anything that's not powder or liquid.

cls91
05-26-2014, 06:42 PM
right but I can't weigh 1/3 cup and I don't trust measuring cups on anything that's not powder or liquid.

Weigh the contents; google 'Sweet Pea Calories'; combine the two; profit.

It doesn't have to be as complicated as you're making it out to be.

dylanbohn95
05-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Weigh the contents; google 'Sweet Pea Calories'; combine the two; profit.

It doesn't have to be as complicated as you're making it out to be.yea I do have that habit I'll give you that but I'm just a thinker man

Yoy0
05-26-2014, 11:46 PM
yea I do have that habit I'll give you that but I'm just a thinker man

Step 1. Acquire food scale
Step 2. Weigh food drained
Step 3. Use nutrition label to measure macros

/thread

Seriously OP, most of the times, the liquid is just water unless stated otherwise.