PDA

View Full Version : Grassfed Milk Omega-3s and Pasteurization?

ss4vegeta1
05-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Over the years I have transitioned from drinking raw milk to now going back to pasteurized milk. Why? Cause I feel now that IF there is a 1% chance of an infection developing from bacterial contamination or whatever I have no guarantee it wont be detrimental. Anyways outside of that, does the pasteurization process oxidize the omega-3 fatty acids in the milkfats? Also how does the heat affect the overall chemistry of the fats and the cholesterol?

chemo29
05-24-2014, 10:17 AM
first and foremost, unless you have some sort of cholesterol health issue, why be concerned about it?

second of all, pasteurization is most commonly done HTST (high temp, short time) and that is around 75degC for under 20seconds. The biggest issue in regards to oxydation of omega-3s is all the shearing the milk goes through during processing (stresses the contact with oxygen): tube pumping, skimming, homogenization, pasteurization, tempering, filling
In all case figures, linolenic acid (the only omega-3s found in milk) make up to 1% of the total fats in milk and store bought milk itself contains at best 3.25% of fat

So a glass of 3.25% milk would yield (2.5*0.0325*0.01)g of omega-3, at best (assuming the process has not destroyed any omega-3)
Overall, I think you are being concerned with an issue that doesn't exist

If you are drinking omega-3 enriched milk, that's another story. In this case, the omega-3s are added post pasteurization in a stabilized form

Coledition
05-24-2014, 10:26 AM
first and foremost, unless you have some sort of cholesterol health issue, why be concerned about it?

second of all, pasteurization is most commonly done HTST (high temp, short time) and that is around 75degC for under 20seconds. The biggest issue in regards to oxydation of omega-3s is all the shearing the milk goes through during processing (stresses the contact with oxygen): tube pumping, skimming, homogenization, pasteurization, tempering, filling
In all case figures, linolenic acid (the only omega-3s found in milk) make up to 1% of the total fats in milk and store bought milk itself contains at best 3.25% of fat

So a glass of 3.25% milk would yield (2.5*0.0325*0.01)g of omega-3, at best (assuming the process has not destroyed any omega-3)

If you are drinking omega-3 enriched milk, that's another story. In this case, the omega-3s are added post pasteurization in a stabilized form
The milk expert is here thankfully we have someone like you here.

ss4vegeta1
05-24-2014, 10:29 AM

You made some solid points. Thanks.