PDA

View Full Version : Meteor outburst predicted for tonight (Americas & Hawaii)

DocHoss
05-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Comet 209P LINEAR will be making a close approach to Earth and we are going to pass through its debris tail tonight. We are expected to pass through a fairly thick section and there is predicted to be a major meteor outburst tonight around midnight West Coast time (3 am East Coast), with 1-3 possibly visible per minute from dark locations (100-200 per hour). Possibly even a storm outburst.

Here is a link for those who are interested. Basically, if you look towards the Big Dipper, you should be OK.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/mays-surprise-meteor-shower/

Good luck to those who will be watching!

mcbourque
05-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Darn! I'm in Seattle! Clouds!!! :mad:

Wayne Evans
05-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I saw this also.

Midnight isn't so late but the ambient light where I am will likely impact my viewing even though the say the crescent moon will have little effect.

I love all this science shvt....just wish I was much smarter to solve some cosmic mysteries.

Carry on....

acrawlingchaos
05-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Missed it.... clouds. :(

Plateauplower
05-24-2014, 08:27 AM
It was clear here missed it asleep. 1:30 start time, had plans to watch it though...

jeffaus
05-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Missed it. In China and smog. Take your pic of which one is the reason I didn't see it.

DocHoss
05-24-2014, 10:06 AM
It was an official dud. You guys didn't miss anything. I had high clouds that eased up enough for me to go out and watch for 45 minutes. I should have seen any reasonably bright meteors, but saw none at all. Even places with good viewing reported very few.

I did, however, see some odd flashes around the Big Dipper that I don't quite understand. Must have been momentary reflections off rotating satellites, but not the same one.

Desparado
05-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Same here. My daughter and I stayed up till 2:00 a.m. and nada! We did see a couple of flashes that we thought came from an airplane but was too far apart and infrequent too be one.