PDA

View Full Version : Biceps Strong but not huge.

athlete7
05-21-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm based in India and been working out since 8th grade but seriously and regularly over the last 2 years, where I converted one of my old garages into a good gym.

Regarding biceps two years ago I was curling a 35 pound dumbbell stand up curls. Now I have made my way up to 44lb, (20kg) 55lb (25kg) 66lb (30kg) 77lb(35kg) - 6 times.. cheat curl (but still very difficult to get it up for 99% of those in my town).

Recently I arm wrestled a guy who's got biceps almost 1.5 times my size or more.. his arms are twice my size (figuratively speaking) and I won, partly also because I torture my forearms so my wrist and forearms are pretty strong.

Yesterday I brought him to my gym and he couldn't curl those 35 kg (77lb) dumbbells once, cheat reps or otherwise, and I realized my biceps are stronger than this.

My question is how come his arms are much bigger?

GuyJin
05-22-2014, 01:32 AM
For one thing, you have to look at genetics. If he has longer, fuller biceps (i.e. they attach near the elbow joint) and the same deal with his triceps, then he has the potential for bigger arms. He may also have more muscle cells than you do. If you have short biceps, you may be able to get them bigger, but all things being equal if he's got longer muscles then he'll eventually end up with bigger arms than you do.

For another, does he train? If he does, does he train for size (i.e. sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which means higher reps between eight and fifteen) or does he train for strength, such as doing three to six reps?

The last thing to think of is your training. What are you doing right now? What's your program like for all your bodyparts, your eating regimen, etc. If you're working arms and not back or shoulders or chest intensely, then your arms may not be getting the indirect effect that benches and rows and chins and dips provide. JMO...

ajdahlheimer
05-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Big Arms => Big Paychecks, brah...

bodyhard
05-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Its OK OP I have a similar problem my biceps are huge, but they are weaklings.....

deadwoodgregg
05-22-2014, 05:29 AM
CT commands you to grow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiKDa4ip_Q

ajdahlheimer
05-22-2014, 05:45 AM
Its OK OP I have a similar problem my biceps are huge, but they are weaklings.....

Diggin' the new profile pic, BH. Looking huge.

TacoTommy11
06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
It might sound odd to some, but I believe the compound exercises add the mass while isolations add the finish. Genetics also play a role. Bench, floor press, dips...even chins and squats add some of my arm growth. I only do 40-45 curls slowly and light 65-85lb preachers once a week.

I keep my compounds 5 set of 5 reps usually and iso 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps.