PDA

View Full Version : From weight gainer to normal protein. What do I need to start buying? BCAA? Creatine?

Lamperouge
05-20-2014, 11:56 PM
I've been on Dymatize Elite Mass for about two years and it's helped me gain about 50 lbs since then. Every single person I have met gets mad when I tell them I take it and they tell me to 'just take regular whey'.

..So I'm going to try it for a while and see if I notice any differences. What other supplements do I need to be taking besides Whey? The cool thing about Elite Mass was that it had creatine, amino acids, and other cool things in it that helped my overall progress in the gym. It also had only 1g of sugar, it wasn't like the other weight gainers with a lot of sugar and extra calories.

If I switch to regular whey (Iso 100, ON Whey, etc), what key ingredients will I be missing that might hinder my weight room progress?

My Schedule:
I have school from 8am-3pm,
PhD Thesis Research from 4pm-6pm,
Then work from 6-10pm usually.
I workout at 10/11 at night 4-5 times a week for 1-2 hours, then head to sleep. Isolated Muscle groups.

My Diet: (Due to school priority and time restraints)
I never have time to eat, so I thought Elite Mass would be perfect for me.
-I usually take a shake in the morning,
-eat lunch at chipotle (chicken tacos),
-Workout, then take a shake with bananas, ice, peanut butter, my elite mass, and chocolate.
-then have a quick dinner. Not usually large. Something like Chicken, Popcorn Chicken, Pizza, a Sandwich, etc.

My Supplements:
-Dymatize Elite Mass twice a day, with one serving extra ingredients
-JYM as Preworkout
-Hemavol as Preworkout
-Orange Triad Vitamins

About Me:
155lbs, 5'10. 24 years old.

gbullock32
05-21-2014, 12:08 AM
The only thing that gainer gave you was calories, this lead to the weight gain. Other than the creatine and a bunch of filler/carbs the main difference between the gainer and just whey is whey will have a lot less calories.

You can make your own gainer at home for far cheaper, just toss milk, ice cream, peanut butter, and whatever else you want into a blender and drink that.

Also- You look like you have no idea what you are doing nutritionally, I would head to the nutrition section and read up on calories/macros, figure out what your needs are, and start tracking your food.

Lamperouge
05-21-2014, 12:50 AM
The only thing that gainer gave you was calories, this lead to the weight gain. Other than the creatine and a bunch of filler/carbs the main difference between the gainer and just whey is whey will have a lot less calories.

You can make your own gainer at home for far cheaper, just toss milk, ice cream, peanut butter, and whatever else you want into a blender and drink that.

Also- You look like you have no idea what you are doing nutritionally, I would head to the nutrition section and read up on calories/macros, figure out what your needs are, and start tracking your food.

Thanks for the advice. If price is the only issue, I don't really care much. It's worked for me and I actually look decent compared to my skinny self earlier. Anywho, I've already decided on trying something different. I'm not ignorant to the benefits of weight gainers vs non :P

Anyways, I was asking specifically on supplements to compliment my whey :/

gbullock32
05-21-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. If price is the only issue, I don't really care much. It's worked for me and I actually look decent compared to my skinny self earlier. Anywho, I've already decided on trying something different. I'm not ignorant to the benefits of weight gainers vs non :P

Anyways, I was asking specifically on supplements to compliment my whey :/You don't need any to 'compliment' it, creatine I suppose if you rely on the gainer to give it; just get bulk creatine mono and aim for 3-5g a day. You get enough BCAAs/Aminos from food/whey so no need to supplement that.

llahhsoj
05-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Your path isn't the one I would choose but if it works I would stick with it. There is a better way BCAAs are cool and I use a lot of our version but that is the first thing that should be cut out when some ones diet is locked down.

Lamperouge
05-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Your path isn't the one I would choose but if it works I would stick with it. There is a better way BCAAs are cool and I use a lot of our version but that is the first thing that should be cut out when some ones diet is locked down.

I don't hear this very often :) Thanks

It's just hard to imagine that creatine, BCAA's, and other nutrients in my old elite mass weren't needed to maximize efficiency

The Solution
05-21-2014, 01:48 PM

It's just hard to imagine that creatine, BCAA's, and other nutrients in my old elite mass weren't needed to maximize efficiency

BCAA's in whey and BCAA's as a stand alone are not the same
BCAA in whey take seveeral hours to digest
BCAA as free form product is instantly digested is only optimal for fasted pre-workout training or between meals as a bolus 4-6 hours apart.
You do not need them or a gainer, More food would be optimal and just investing in a whey and heavier sources like pasta, oil's, nut butters, trail mix, granola, whole eggs, beef etc. will save you $$$ to.

llahhsoj
05-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Creatine is a keeper at all times for me. If one gets plenty of protein, no need really for BCAAs. I train fasted and I like to use some. I use a bunch of our AminoBuild product.