PDA

View Full Version : Should i buy this SUV- 2002 Toyota Sequoia

Jamal123
05-20-2014, 05:26 AM
This is a nice look suv and its actually very powerful. And inside is nice only problem is it has 540k milage on it. But the guy thats selling me it is a close friend and its clearly running perfect as i drove it with him. Its silent and i dont understand how it still runs as smooth as it does for that much kilometers on it. HE will sell it for $1500 . thats really cheap if it would last atleast 2 years but that many km seems a little to high! would it last? should i buy it for that price? swap engine if it goes down?

whats your thoughts $1500 is nothing for a car and its worth atleast 12grand itself with atleast 240k cliques on kijiji. Lemme know what you guys think.

I posted here because your all older and probably know much more bout cars than the teens that think they know it all lol. Thanks

VeniceGuy
05-20-2014, 05:29 AM
This is a nice look suv and its actually very powerful. And inside is nice only problem is it has 540k milage on it. But the guy thats selling me it is a close friend and its clearly running perfect as i drove it with him. Its silent and i dont understand how it still runs as smooth as it does for that much kilometers on it. HE will sell it for $1500 . thats really cheap if it would last atleast 2 years but that many km seems a little to high! would it last? should i buy it for that price? swap engine if it goes down?

whats your thoughts $1500 is nothing for a car and its worth atleast 12grand itself with atleast 240k cliques on kijiji. Lemme know what you guys think.

I posted here because your all older and probably know much more bout cars than the teens that think they know it all lol. Thanks
I'd stay away from it. No matter how cheap it may be. 540k is about 45k a year. How does a person drive that much? It could turn into a money pit.

Jamal123
05-20-2014, 05:38 AM
I'd stay away from it. No matter how cheap it may be. 540k is about 45k a year. How does a person drive that much? It could turn into a money pit.

lol i have no clue how it has that much km's on it. But ud be surprised on how it drives so smooth but than again theirs probably some mechanical problems that id have to look into.

The3Bar
05-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Three things.

First and most importantly, never, ever go into a business deal with a friend. It is the fastest means to ruin a friendship.

Second, a car with 540k miles, is one step away from death. How this car has lasted this long is strange. The wear on all motor, transmission, frame parts is going to be extreme. The car might sound good, but it really will not last the 2 years you are hoping. I can almost guarantee that very soon, the car is going to have some serious illness issues. And when that happens...

Third, you will be angry at your friend because he forget to tell you about part X that was loose, knocking, pinging 300k miles ago and that will return you to item #1, above.

Lutidine
05-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Don't buy cars that are set for breaking down. 540k is huge. You're gonna spend more money fixing it than what you paid for it.

mcours2006
05-20-2014, 06:05 AM
Three things.
First and most importantly, never, ever go into a business deal with a friend. It is the fastest means to ruin a friendship.

^This^

And no one has asked whether or not you need a behemoth of a vehicle like the Sequoia. Unless your work/business necessitates it, having a vehicle like this just for the heck of it seems a bit...irresponsible.

But I get why you're considering it.

A vehicle with 540k isn't all that bad as it sounds. It depends on how the vehicle was driven. If it was mostly on the freeway, it's not all that bad as stop and go downtown traffic. The engine usually outlasts the body/chassis. But with a car older than 10 years you'd expect to put in some repairs every year, whether it'd be the suspension, the transmission, engine, whatever.

TubbyDad
05-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Have a mechanic take a look at it. Internet mechanics can only tell you so much.

ajdahlheimer
05-20-2014, 06:43 AM
There's no way the vehicle has 540,000 miles on it with it's original transmission, head gasket, injectors, etc. He'd of had to replace a number of these big things. Potentially more than once for certain parts.

DROCTAGON28
05-20-2014, 06:49 AM
The 4.7 V8 motors are very strong. They are used on Land cruisers and high end lexus models. Not really surprised the motor has high miles. You can search ebay motors under used vehicles with high millage to prove my point.

ajdahlheimer
05-20-2014, 07:17 AM
You can search ebay motors under used vehicles with high millage to prove my point.

And you don't know what has/hasn't been replaced on those motors either, brah. That's what I'm saying. The odometer never stops as long as you keep a motor running with new/different parts.....

poundXpound
05-20-2014, 07:17 AM
There's no way the vehicle has 540,000 miles on it with it's original transmission, head gasket, injectors, etc. He'd of had to replace a number of these big things. Potentially more than once for certain parts.

Kilometers, but still a lot of miles (over 337,000).

ajdahlheimer
05-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Oh. LOL. Well that is a different story. Toyota's with over 300k miles aren't a big deal.

raynerd
05-20-2014, 07:36 AM

Bring it to a mechanic, see if it passes a
safety check, check engine compression etc. if all that is good, $1500 is not a lot of money if you get 2 years out of it. Toyota has a very good rep mechanically.

Jamal123
05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
okay thanks for all the good responses. Yeah guess im not gunna buy it but i will forsure take him with me to a mechanic and if mechanic sais good things which i highly doubt than its a grab if not its not worth it.

scullin
05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

It's not worth 12 grand if it's a 2002 even if it had lower miles. I bought one for $11k back in 2007 for one with less than 100K on it. It was a good vehicle but a pig on gas. If you need a big vehicle to beat on / tow stuff it would be fine I guess. It's good on long road trips on big highways out in the country, but forget it if you live in the city.