PDA

View Full Version : Armed citizen shoots at cop for doing his job

shibby19
05-15-2014, 10:05 AM
A man opens fire on an officer while he's on foot canvassing for a burglary suspect. After the suspect fires at the officer, the officer fires back striking the suspect. After, his family collaborates and lies to try to get the officer charged with murder.

http://www.trivalleycentral.com/eloy_enterprise/news/eloy-man-killed-in-officer-involved-shooting/article_7eb6e888-dbb1-11e3-a446-0019bb2963f4.html

http://youtu.be/f7w-Mu2Y51U

TaeBoNinja
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Firearms of Peace officers

lightningwatche
05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Sounds believable people would do it. Very believable either side would lie.

Dats the he said she said of our criminal justice system. Hopefully they can prove what really happened. IMO, the only good the police do is they scare people into thinking there will be consequences, so that most people don't commit crimes. But once one does happen, how do you prove it unless the officer was there and saw it? If the officer sniffs for fear, there could be many reasons the person is scared. If they don't want to answer questions, maybe they watched too much Mat Lock.

Cablebob
05-15-2014, 10:25 AM
The officer never identified himself as a police officer. And from the video I can't tell who shot first.

The citizen could have saw someone walking around in the dark with a flashlight and asked the officer what he was doing? the officer see the gun and starts shooting.

That's not self defense.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but LEO's shouldn't be able to just start shooting at people without being shot at or identifying themselves after seeing a potential threat.

shibby19
05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
The officer never identified himself as a police officer. And from the video I can't tell who shot first.

The citizen could have saw someone walking around in the dark with a flashlight and asked the officer what he was doing? the officer see the gun and starts shooting.

That's not self defense.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but LEO's shouldn't be able to just start shooting at people without being shot at or identifying themselves after seeing a potential threat.

So you believe it's legal to shoot at someone who's walking down the street?

Ok.

Kezzyukbrah
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Siding with the officer this time

lightningwatche
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Asking an officer to wait to be shot at first is asking a bit much. If the other person draws first, that gives them a huge advantage. Neither side need be paranoid if neither draws their guns, though officers often do it as standard procedure. They do this every day, and are sent after criminals every day. How long would they live if they did not? But this makes the other side scared and likely to draw too if it is dark.

ohsoreal
05-15-2014, 10:37 AM

That's not self defense.

I think the citizen fired first. At least from the video, you can see the cops gun in the upper left corner, a shot is fired, then when he returns fire you can see the muzzle blast. its kinda hard to tell from the video.

shibby19
05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
None of the cop haters want to acknowledge that this is what cops can be faced with on a day to day basis?

No one wants to talk about how this family lied in an attempted to get the officer charged with murder? Could you imagine if this officer didn't have video of the event? His job would be gone in a second when its the families word vs his with how things work today.

Apeus
05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
None of the cop haters want to acknowledge that this is what cops can be faced with on a day to day basis?

I have no problem admitting it's always a possibility for police. It's still a rare situation though, and LEO's aren't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US. There's a chance I could be shot walking down the sidewalk too.

No one wants to talk about how this family lied in an attempted to get the officer charged with murder? Could you imagine if this officer didn't have video of the event? His job would be gone in a second when its the families word vs his with how things work today.

Yeah. Family members of police shooting victims are always given the benefit of the doubt and the officers involved are always immediately fired and charged with murder. /s

Tuksonrider
05-15-2014, 03:28 PM
The citizen was at fault. You just don't shoot at someone whether or not they identify themselves as police. The shooter cannot claim self-defense because at no time was that person's life threatened.

Walking around with a flashlight at night does not constitute a threat or justify being shot at.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
The citizen was at fault. You just don't shoot at someone whether or not they identify themselves as police. The shooter cannot claim self-defense because at no time was that person's life threatened.

Walking around with a flashlight at night does not constitute a threat or justify being shot at.

The officer wasn't even on his property, he was on the street. Still a ****ty situation.

seven11
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
At 00:16-00:17 you can see muzzle coming from afar, I'm assuming the other guy. The sound is slightly delayed. It looks like the other guy shot at the cop, who was not even on his property, first.

tk217
05-15-2014, 06:05 PM

It is heresay - I don't know what happened.

tk217
05-15-2014, 06:05 PM

You have no idea what the guy has on him - so yes it can. Lo and behold - it is a gun too.

lasher
05-15-2014, 06:06 PM
piggies gonna piggie

MediaDeit
05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Lucky for the cop, his word is taken as truth no matter even if there was video evidence to prove otherwise

goody1
05-15-2014, 06:25 PM
You have no idea what the guy has on him - so yes it can. Lo and behold - it is a gun too.

It doesnt matter what the cop had on him. The civilian was in no immediate danger when he shot at the officer

goody1
05-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Lucky for the cop, his word is taken as truth no matter even if there was video evidence to prove otherwise
Show me the point of the video that "proved otherwise"

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Even with the video cam, the usual posters still believe the cop was in the wrong...

tk217
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Even with the video cam, the usual posters still believe the cop was in the wrong...

The citizen was in the wrong in hindsight - but to claim the citizen wasn't in danger is nonsense.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 07:26 PM
The citizen was in the wrong in hindsight - but to claim the citizen wasn't in danger is nonsense.

The citizen wasn't in danger, and why is this citizen shooting at someone who is on the street?

tk217
05-15-2014, 08:03 PM
The citizen wasn't in danger, and why is this citizen shooting at someone who is on the street?

Because it is a dangerous neighborhood and people roaming the back streets at night in the dark are up to no good.

Obviously he was - since he is dead.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Because it is a dangerous neighborhood and people roaming the back streets at night in the dark are up to no good.

Obviously he was - since he is dead.

Is it a crime now to walk on a back street at night?
And he would still be alive, if he wasn't shooting at someone who wasn't even on his property. Even if this was an armed citizen returning fire from the street, the guy who shot first was in the wrong.

tk217
05-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Is it a crime now to walk on a back street at night?
And he would still be alive, if he wasn't shooting at someone who wasn't even on his property. Even if this was an armed citizen returning fire from the street, the guy who shot first was in the wrong.

It's a crime to murder people, Dave, murder people.

goody1
05-15-2014, 08:25 PM
It's a crime to murder people, Dave, murder people.

So your definition of murder is someone shoots at you and you shoot back and your bullet finds its target.
What is your definition of self defense?

Also, you think its ok to shoot someone just walking down the street or in someone elses backyard?

tk217
05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
So your definition of murder is someone shoots at you and you shoot back and your bullet finds its target.
What is your definition of self defense?

Also, you think its ok to shoot someone just walking down the street or in someone elses backyard?

Self defense is when you can't "flee" the scene.

That cop could have run - what is expected of citizens.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Are you trolling right now?

goody1
05-15-2014, 09:00 PM

This has to be trolling.
What is expected of citizens??? Not to shoot random people walking around when they are in no immediate danger

Th3K1NgSlaY3R
05-15-2014, 09:01 PM

How is it possible to be this fukking ignorant of stand your ground laws after the Zimmerman trial. Lol just lolololol.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 09:11 PM
This has to be trolling.
What is expected of citizens??? Not to shoot random people walking around when they are in no immediate danger

There's a guy walking on the public street with a flashlight, let's shoot at him...

shibby19
05-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Holy **** did I just read this?

Cops don't run from people with guns. That's why they're cops, they stand up to the criminals, not run away.

lazi
05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Go on private property, take your life into your own hands. Cop or not. Chitty situation, but it's how it is.

Dave22reborn
05-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Go on private property, take your life into your own hands. Cop or not. Chitty situation, but it's how it is.

The cop wasn't on private property, he was on a public road.

lazi
05-15-2014, 09:35 PM
The cop wasn't on private property, he was on a public road.
oh yikes. in that case, cop was in the right.

Lendogg
05-16-2014, 07:14 AM
The logic in here is comical

brb I am going to shoot at anyone walking down the street past my house at night

BruceBruce325
05-16-2014, 07:39 AM
The logic in here is comical

brb I am going to shoot at anyone walking down the street past my house at night

this... if not the cop some other person would have killed this guy

StarFox
05-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Didn't watch the vid so correct me if I'm wrong, but the family is apparently saying that suspect would still be alive had the officer identified himself as an LEO...but the article makes it sound like the guy didn't even give the cop a chance to do so, he just started shooting. So how are they really trying to work that angle?

IDrinkBloodLOL
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Asking an officer to wait to be shot at first is asking a bit much.

Funny, because the self defense laws ask the citizenry to do exactly this.

Dave22reborn
05-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Didn't watch the vid so correct me if I'm wrong, but the family is apparently saying that suspect would still be alive had the officer identified himself as an LEO...but the article makes it sound like the guy didn't even give the cop a chance to do so, he just started shooting. So how are they really trying to work that angle?

I understand because it's family, but even if if he didn't identify himself right away, what justification was there to shoot at someone on a public road?

KillOrBKilled
05-16-2014, 02:01 PM
You can see a muzzle flash when the first shot is heard, aka the citizen fired first

NuggzTheNinja
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Definitely going to side with the officer in this one.

Oko93
05-16-2014, 02:09 PM
First time I decided to wanted into the R/P section. Half these posters can't be serious? Citizen shoots at person walking down the street (doesn't even have to be a cop), cop fires back in self defense, because hes a cop, he is automatically a pig and is in the wrong. This is what I'm getting from the first page.

Dave22reborn
05-16-2014, 02:49 PM
First time I decided to wanted into the R/P section. Half these posters can't be serious? Citizen shoots at person walking down the street (doesn't even have to be a cop), cop fires back in self defense, because hes a cop, he is automatically a pig and is in the wrong. This is what I'm getting from the first page.

Well, to be fair, the ones who see the cop in the wrong, will alway's see the police in the wrong. You should have seen the thread where the body cam captured a suicidal male, approaching a cop with a knife, after multiple warnings, the officer had to put him down, and people were saying that he should have shot him in the shoulder, or leg.

tk217
05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
How is it possible to be this fukking ignorant of stand your ground laws after the Zimmerman trial. Lol just lolololol.

Stand your ground doesn't exist in all states, dude.

And when you are in a non-stand your ground state - you aren't allowed to "shoot back" without being considered a murderer.

lasher
05-16-2014, 06:11 PM
gOqblSqx_VI

goody1
05-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Stand your ground doesn't exist in all states, dude.

And when you are in a non-stand your ground state - you aren't allowed to "shoot back" without being considered a murderer.
The civilian was completely in the wrong in this case. Just admit it. You cannot shoot at someone just walking down the street because you think he looks suspicious. If you could Zimmerman would not have had to follow Martin through the neighborhood. He could've just shot him from his porch and claimed Martin looked suspicious.

tk217
05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
The civilian was completely in the wrong in this case. Just admit it. You cannot shoot at someone just walking down the street because you think he looks suspicious. If you could Zimmerman would not have had to follow Martin through the neighborhood. He could've just shot him from his porch and claimed Martin looked suspicious.

I already said he was in the wrong - are you unable to read?

goody1
05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I already said he was in the wrong - are you unable to read?

You claimed he was wrong but you also claimed that he was in danger. Can you please explain to me how he was in danger BEFORE he shot at the cop?

tk217
05-16-2014, 06:52 PM
You claimed he was wrong but you also claimed that he was in danger. Can you please explain to me how he was in danger BEFORE he shot at the cop?

Cop easily could have mistaken him for a thief and shot him to death -- and the guy wouldn't have had time to tell the police officer who he was before he was shot to death -- or even if he did say he wasn't a thief - when would reach to pull out his wallet to provide ID - he would be shot and the cop would claim he had a gun or a knife and clearly the police officer did it in the line of duty.

Then nut huggers would jizz on themselves to be able to touch the officer.

goody1
05-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Cop easily could have mistaken him for a thief and shot him to death -- and the guy wouldn't have had time to tell the police officer who he was before he was shot to death -- or even if he did say he wasn't a thief - when would reach to pull out his wallet to provide ID - he would be shot and the cop would claim he had a gun or a knife and clearly the police officer did it in the line of duty.

So if I live in a bad part of town and someone is walking around outside after dark I am in immediate danger?

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:04 PM
So if I live in a bad part of town and someone is walking around outside after dark I am in immediate danger?

I don't like to walk around outside after 11:00 PM in my city. And where I live is relatively safe. I know I am in danger when I do it.

Dave22reborn
05-16-2014, 07:05 PM

A pretty insane what if scenario. The dead man wasn't in danger, but he did place others in danger.

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
I don't like to walk around outside after 11:00 PM in my city. And where I live is relatively safe. I know I am in danger when I do it.
I have no idea what you are arguing here. In that case the cop was in danger for walking around outside after dark and was in immediate danger as well. So I guess he deserves to get shot at.

Somewhat off topic but this is why I don't live in the city. I am just under 30 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis (still considered a suburb) and can walk around at all hours of the night and not feel threatened in the least. Hell I occasionally walk home from the bar about a mile away and not once did I feel unsafe. I'm in my back yard right now sitting around a fire pit in the dark and don't feel uncomfortable.

However there is a cop that lives two houses down. I better get my ass inside before he shoots at me without giving me the chance to identity myself.

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:15 PM
I have no idea what you are arguing here. In that case the cop was in danger for walking around outside after dark and was in immediate danger as well. So I guess he deserves to get shot at.

Somewhat off topic but this is why I don't live in the city. I am just under 30 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis (still considered a suburb) and can walk around at all hours of the night and not feel threatened in the least. Hell I occasionally walk home from the bar about a mile away and not once did I feel unsafe. I'm in my back yard right now sitting around a fire pit in the dark and don't feel uncomfortable.

How can I relate this to a person from Minnesota... You guys really don't have crime and don't understand a crime city...

Imagine being in Minneapolis and walking around the North West side of the city at night.

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:16 PM
A pretty insane what if scenario. The dead man wasn't in danger, but he did place others in danger.

He is dead Dave, show some respect.

Dave22reborn
05-16-2014, 07:18 PM

However there is a cop that lives two houses down. I better get my ass inside before he shoots at me without giving me the chance to identity myself.

If you're walking around a ghetto at night, by yourself, you're more likely to get robbed then shot. Also, who's to say that this neighborhood in the story was dangerous? I mean, he said something to the officer in Spanish, can anyone translate?

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:20 PM
How can I relate this to a person from Minnesota... You guys really don't have crime and don't understand a crime city...

Imagine being in Minneapolis and walking around the North West side of the city at night.

Actually it's north east Minneapolis that has more problems. It still doesn't matter. You cannot pull out a gun and start shooting at people just walking around. You claim the citizen was in the wrong but you are still trying to defend him by pretending he was in immediate danger. What if the cop was instead a civilian looking for his dog that got out of the house? Was the shooter still in danger?

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:22 PM
He is dead Dave, show some respect.

What? The cop could've been just as dead. What did Dave say that was untrue and disrespectful?

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Actually it's north east Minneapolis that has more problems. It still doesn't matter. You cannot pull out a gun and start shooting at people just walking around. You claim the citizen was in the wrong but you are still trying to defend him by pretending he was in immediate danger. What if the cop was instead a civilian looking for his dog that got out of the house? Was the shooter still in danger?

No - I am arguing the citizen had a mental state that clearly stated his actions said he felt he was in danger. You two are consistently saying - there is no danger and never was - when in reality - people don't act that way unless they're in danger and feel in danger.

Dave is ridiculous in his perceptions of police can do no wrong. So, most of the R&P writes him off and his opinions because he is so narrow-minded on these topics.

You are just ignorant of how dangerous cities actually are because of where you live.

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:29 PM
No - I am arguing the citizen had a mental state that clearly stated his actions said he felt he was in danger. You two are consistently saying - there is no danger and never was - when in reality - people don't act that way unless they're in danger and feel in danger.

Dave is ridiculous in his perceptions of police can do no wrong. So, most of the R&P writes him off and his opinions because he is so narrow-minded on these topics.

You are just ignorant of how dangerous cities actually are because of where you live.

And shooting at people that aren't even on your property in the dark is a very reasonable thing to do.
And Minneapolis is plenty dangerous. I lived there for a while

sawoobley
05-16-2014, 07:31 PM
There's a guy walking on the public street with a flashlight, let's shoot at him...

^This. The poor citizen probably thought he was playing grand theft auto.

Dave22reborn
05-16-2014, 07:34 PM

I have stated that the police were in the wrong numerous times. Why can't you admit, that there was no justification whatsoever, to shoot at someone on a public street?

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:40 PM
And shooting at people that aren't even on your property in the dark is a very reasonable thing to do.
And Minneapolis is plenty dangerous. I lived there for a while

:rolleyes: LOL

http://lollipopolis.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/screen-shot-2014-05-05-at-12-46-11-pm.png

http://www.laualpizar.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/10/Minneapolis-Family-Photographer-5-new.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KRnQFWJzu2M/T2ydCrMGCqI/AAAAAAAAAEk/Nn7anWJcKIc/s1600/bicycle_share_minneapolis_nice-ride-50.jpg

http://www.minnesota-visitor.com/images/minneapolis-nightlife3.jpg

Meanwhile.... in Cleveland.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QbuHm4ZaZkQ/S9TxohUCR-I/AAAAAAAASiA/RpcS-y_CE2w/s1600/large_1224081409.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6282/2506/400/cleveland1.jpg

http://s.imwx.com/dru/2013/12/5378ef73-bc28-4dfb-b159-2c1fa5c04074_980x551.jpg

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:49 PM
:rolleyes: LOL

http://lollipopolis.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/screen-shot-2014-05-05-at-12-46-11-pm.png

http://www.laualpizar.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/10/Minneapolis-Family-Photographer-5-new.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KRnQFWJzu2M/T2ydCrMGCqI/AAAAAAAAAEk/Nn7anWJcKIc/s1600/bicycle_share_minneapolis_nice-ride-50.jpg

http://www.minnesota-visitor.com/images/minneapolis-nightlife3.jpg

Meanwhile.... in Cleveland.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QbuHm4ZaZkQ/S9TxohUCR-I/AAAAAAAASiA/RpcS-y_CE2w/s1600/large_1224081409.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6282/2506/400/cleveland1.jpg

http://s.imwx.com/dru/2013/12/5378ef73-bc28-4dfb-b159-2c1fa5c04074_980x551.jpg

Lol. Well I'm sold. Pretty sure that Minneapolis is ranked more dangerous than Cleveland. Or should I pull up some family portraits of someone in Cleveland and compare it to abandoned buildings in Minneapolis to prove my point.

Edit. I stand corrected Cleveland is more dangerous. However would you be defending some one that took a shot at you for walking to the nearest convenience store to grab some soda becomes you ran out? Did you cause that person that took the shot at you to be in danger?

tk217
05-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Lol. Well I'm sold. Pretty sure that Minneapolis is ranked more dangerous than Cleveland. Or should I pull up some family portraits of someone in Cleveland and compare it to abandoned buildings in Minneapolis to prove my point.

Edit. I stand corrected

I live right next door to this and I can throw a brick and hit a drug dealer.

I live in a dangerous location and I know it.

Edit: to your edit - I wouldn't be surprised if someone shot me if I were roaming around a back alleyway rooting around in the dark.

And in Cleveland - I wouldn't be surprised if someone just randomly shot me in broad daylight.

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Edit: to your edit - I wouldn't be surprised if someone shot me if I were roaming around a back alleyway rooting around in the dark.

Read the edited part. I'm curious to your response

goody1
05-16-2014, 07:58 PM

And in Cleveland - I wouldn't be surprised if someone just randomly shot me in broad daylight.

Is it your fault for making him feel threatened?

tk217
05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Is it your fault for making him feel threatened?

Hmm - I don't know where to lay fault as to his mind set as to why he decided to randomly shoot me. I clearly was a threat in his mind.

goody1
05-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Hmm - I don't know where to lay fault as to his mind set as to why he decided to randomly shoot me. I clearly was a threat in his mind.
I'm sure your family would feel the same way.

Off topic, I've been to Cleveland but only downtown on business. Had a blast at The Winking Lizard bar and ate way too much at Braza's. Still have the T-Shirt from the Winking Lizard

tk217
05-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm sure your family would feel the same way.

Off topic, I've been to Cleveland but only downtown on business. Had a blast at The Winking Lizard bar and ate way too much at Braza's. Still have the T-Shirt from the Winking Lizard

In that picture above you see the three buildings in Cleveland. The middle one is Tower City.

Where you were sounds like West 9th and East 9th which is right around Tower Terminal.

If you drive 1 mile east from Tower City you run into an extremely dangerous section of Cleveland.

If you go 1 mile north you run into another dangerous section of Cleveland.

A lot of the homeless hang out around Tower City at night because it is the safest location in the city (which is right where you were).

Th3K1NgSlaY3R
05-16-2014, 08:16 PM
In that picture above you see the three buildings in Cleveland. The middle one is Tower City.

Where you were sounds like West 9th and East 9th which is right around Tower Terminal.

If you drive 1 mile east from Tower City you run into an extremely dangerous section of Cleveland.

If you go 1 mile north you run into another dangerous section of Cleveland.

A lot of the homeless hang out around Tower City at night because it is the safest location in the city (which is right where you were).

Thats seriously a cool story. Except im from the hood. Half the people in the damn hood dont have no car and the other half are strung out on dope. Its literally more suspicious to see someone walking in the street at night in the suburbs than it is in the hood. Lol.

tk217
05-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Thats seriously a cool story. Except im from the hood. Half the people in the damn hood dont have no car and the other half are strung out on dope. Its literally more suspicious to see someone walking in the street at night in the suburbs than it is in the hood. Lol.

Ok.

Th3K1NgSlaY3R
05-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Ok.

Seriously. You say you're from a bad neighborhood. Then you know what I say is true. Especially once it gets warm. The flashlight increases suspicion some but still isn't enough to shoot at someone in the damn street. Period. If the man felt threatened its because he is insane.

tallybrah
05-16-2014, 08:22 PM

this

tk217
05-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Seriously. You say you're from a bad neighborhood. Then you know what I say is true. Especially once it gets warm. The flashlight increases suspicion some but still isn't enough to shoot at someone in the damn street. Period. If the man felt threatened its because he is insane.

I'm from a farming community. I live in a not safe "neighborhood" if you can even call it that since there are zero neighborly-things-to-do. As far as suspicion I am more bewildered by people who speak fluent English and can hold a decent conversation than people randomly chattering insanely on the street or asking me for change/drugs or trying to sell me a hoe/drugs.