PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone here start out with "4,000 calorie bulk" and realized it's not for them?

DramaLLama090
05-14-2014, 06:49 PM
I feel like lots of people bulking try and get in 4,000 calories a day, myself included, and realize that it's actually putting on some fat.. which I didn't think was possible for myself. Nothing crazy but I wasn't as hard looking as I wanted to be, and so I'm lowering my intake to 3500 to see where that will get me.

Just wanted some opinions on this... obviously everyone is different, but I'm just getting more into the nutrition side of bodybuilding (been lifting for a little while now, stalled out, not getting results I've wanted again until recently)

Did you bros start your bulk and then have to re-think your diet after realizing *you* shouldn't be bulking like you had originally tried/thought because of the other opinions you've heard?

edit: *the above 4,000 calories is NOT 'eat everything you can' calories*.. generally healthy foods.

macdawg202
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Everyone requires a different amount of calories to 'bulk' some need 4000 while others can gain on a little over 2k.

Don't eat a generic set amount of calories, read the stickies to find out your maintenance than eat 10-20% more.

I fell victim to the generic eat huge to get huge mantra, and while I thoroughly enjoyed shoving food down my face (I don't know why hardgainers are always acting like life's so rough having to eat 4k/ day) I gained far more fat than I ever should have. I could have gained the same amount of lean mass with far less fat if I would have been more knowledgable on nutrition at the time.

Mrpb
05-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Where did you get the idea that you need to consume 4000 calories?

cls91
05-14-2014, 09:47 PM
I skipped a step; I realized 4,000 kcal wasn't for me before actually trying it.

Making gains on <2,500 kcal. 4,000 might be pushing it a bit...

** btw the 2,500 kcal is all generally healthy foods **

mrzeusone
05-14-2014, 10:55 PM
We all have different needs, as some people cut on 4000 kcal.