PDA

View Full Version : Coming Off A Cut Properly

dgray101
05-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey guys I am just in the process of figuring out how to get off a cut. I started in February at 185 and now I'm at about 174-175 weighed in the morning. I'm not too sure of my fb percentage but I know that right now putting in weight will help better my physique then to keep cutting. My current macros are:

Kcals: 1500
Fat: 51
Carb: 77
Protein 205

I am curious how one properly comes out of a cut. As much as I wanna eat the **** out of everything I see I can restrain myself from doing so, so I want to know the best way to get off a cut and transition into a bulk so as not to sacrifice the progress made thus far.

ELLSKIES
05-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey guys I am just in the process of figuring out how to get off a cut. I started in February at 185 and now I'm at about 174-175 weighed in the morning. I'm not too sure of my fb percentage but I know that right now putting in weight will help better my physique then to keep cutting. My current macros are:

Kcals: 1500
Fat: 51
Carb: 77
Protein 205

I am curious how one properly comes out of a cut. As much as I wanna eat the **** out of everything I see I can restrain myself from doing so, so I want to know the best way to get off a cut and transition into a bulk so as not to sacrifice the progress made thus far.
Dude--1500 calories? Ouch! How tall are you?

Eckobird
05-14-2014, 05:10 PM
I read this once, it's probably what I'll do when I want to stop cutting:

A good rule of thumb to transition is spread out 90% of the caloric difference over half the time it took you to cut. So in your case you have a difference of 1k calories and 90% of that = 900. You would spread out 900 calories in the course of 5 weeks ( 900/5=180). So you would increase your calories weekly by 180. If you want to be more meticulous you can increase carbs by 5 grams per day till you reach about 90% of your bulking carbs. Just remember be patient and don't binge;the rewards of being methodical and not binging are way better than a 5-10 minute moment of joy from food. If you do binge and often you're going to get fat really fast. Keep in mind your metabolism is taxi cab and your appetite is a skyscraper.

dgray101
05-14-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm 5'9. The 1500 calorie deficit was wayyy too low way to fast. I was at 2000 and dropped to 1500, not a good idea in the slightest. I learned... But I want to bulk up until about mid October then I will cut again.

ELLSKIES
05-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm 5'9. The 1500 calorie deficit was wayyy too low way to fast. I was at 2000 and dropped to 1500, not a good idea in the slightest. I learned... But I want to bulk up until about mid October then I will cut again.O.K., just checkin'! Anyway, the above advice you got seems solid. Enjoy your transition!

Grelko
05-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by sevenhm View Post
A good rule of thumb to transition is spread out 90% of the caloric difference over half the time it took you to cut. So in your case you have a difference of 1k calories and 90% of that = 900. You would spread out 900 calories in the course of 5 weeks ( 900/5=180). So you would increase your calories weekly by 180. If you want to be more meticulous you can increase carbs by 5 grams per day till you reach about 90% of your bulking carbs. Just remember be patient and don't binge;the rewards of being methodical and not binging are way better than a 5-10 minute moment of joy from food. If you do binge and often you're going to get fat really fast. Keep in mind your metabolism is taxi cab and your appetite is a skyscraper.

This is a pretty good way if you aren't cutting for very long.

But,

my first cut was 9 months long (36 weeks) "lost 50 lbs". That would have me at a 700 calorie deficit. Now 90% of that is 630, and half of 36 weeks is 18, so I would SLOWLY raise my calories up by only 35 each week for the next 18 weeks. Doing it this way, I wouldn't be able to actually switch over to bulking "calorie surplus" for 4-1/2 months, and another month or so to get my calories to the surplus I would have them at.

-------------------------------------

I've heard that when you are coming off of a cut you should raise your calories by 100/week, then once you hit maintenance, give it a week or 2 for your body to stabilize a bit, then start bumping the calories up 100/week until you are at the surplus you want to bulk at.

Just don't go jumping from a 1,000 deficit to a 250-500 surplus the very next day because you're body has to re-adjust to the added calories. "I'm not sure about a small cut though, 6 weeks etc."

^ I'm sure someone can add more information to this.

Eckobird
05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
This is a pretty good way if you aren't cutting for very long.

But,

my first cut was 9 months long (36 weeks) "lost 50 lbs". That would have me at a 700 calorie deficit. Now 90% of that is 630, and half of 36 weeks is 18, so I would SLOWLY raise my calories up by only 35 each week for the next 18 weeks. Doing it this way, I wouldn't be able to actually switch over to bulking "calorie surplus" for 4-1/2 months, and another month or so to get my calories to the surplus I would have them at.

-------------------------------------

I've heard that when you are coming off of a cut you should raise your calories by 100/week, then once you hit maintenance, give it a week or 2 for your body to stabilize a bit, then start bumping the calories up 100/week until you are at the surplus you want to bulk at.

Just don't go jumping from a 1,000 deficit to a 250-500 surplus the very next day because you're body has to re-adjust to the added calories. "I'm not sure about a small cut though, 6 weeks etc."

^ I'm sure someone can add more information to this.

Ah, yeah that seems way too long. The guy he was talking about had only cut for only 8-10 weeks.

whodismane
05-14-2014, 07:12 PM

This doesn't make sense. You say you are going to stop cutting by spending more time in a deficit...before reaching maintenance and then bulking macros.

OP recalculate TDEE based of your current stats and jump to 90% of that. Any weight you gain from that will be from water weight due to increased carbs. Stay at that for 2 weeks and add ~250 calories and start slow bulk.

When you want to end your cut, end your cut. Don't prolong the deficit..

alex070707
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
This doesn't make sense. You say you are going to stop cutting by spending more time in a deficit...before reaching maintenance and then bulking macros.

OP recalculate TDEE based of your current stats and jump to 90% of that. Any weight you gain from that will be from water weight due to increased carbs. Stay at that for 2 weeks and add ~250 calories and start slow bulk.

You haven't seen 5 kilos of fat in 3 days haven't you?
OP, the advice you first got is probably your best bet!

noaddedhormones
05-15-2014, 04:13 AM

Please be quiet you parrot, OP deffinitely reverse diet slowly if you want to maintain the leaness you obviously worked hard to achieve. What these forum flops dont realise is that alot of processes change in the body while dieting which puts you in an optimal state for fat gain. Slowly reintroducing calories allows all these processes to reverse which will ultimently limit fat regain.

dgray101
05-15-2014, 06:54 AM
This is sort of what I have concluded, slower reverse dieting. It seems to me to be the more logistic route. I just added 100grams of sweet potatoes into the diet for the week (approx 100cals and 30carbs) I'll continue to add about 100-150 Cals or roughly 30-40g of carbs per week. Keep monitoring and be sound. My next cut needs to start in something like mid to late November, so that's a long time to bulk up anyways. Thanks urrbody'

WuchiCasey
05-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Please be quiet you parrot, OP deffinitely reverse diet slowly if you want to maintain the leaness you obviously worked hard to achieve. What these forum flops dont realise is that alot of processes change in the body while dieting which puts you in an optimal state for fat gain. Slowly reintroducing calories allows all these processes to reverse which will ultimently limit fat regain.

I do tend to agree that on these forums we view these things as black and white but according to calories in vs out, if you jump to maininence, I highly doubt your body will prime the cals for fat storage. It could be many things, carbs replacing glycogen/filling up muscle. I've seen a few people suggest just to jump to maintence if you do not care about scale weight as it will be added water/glycogen