PDA

View Full Version : Do your forum you visit admins or mod read your PM's?

induced_drag
05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I found this interesting info on the web. There is a script when can be installed on bulletin boards which allow admins and mods with permission to read individuals PM's.

It can be easily checked by going to the forums you visit web home page and at the end of the url add the following and hit enter.

admincp/read_pms.php

If you are prompted for user and password then that forum has this script installed and can freely access users "Private" messages. If nothing comes up, then the script is NOT installed. This is not something that is installed as a default and had to be added to the forum if they want to read your "private" messages.

Go try it on which ever forums you visit.

Iceman1800
05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
FYI, we don't have that access on here.

induced_drag
05-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Cool. Appreciate you sharing that. I think most people (erroneously) assume privacy and forget most 'boards' are privately owned.

Given the stuff that happened in the past with BB.com getting dragged into lawsuits by the gov, I never really assumed privacy here (nor did I expect it). There are other boards though (which have nothing to do with this one) that I however did assume privacy(or had no reason not to) and was surprised to find it installed on them as well.

Like I said, it is a good general tool to know.

Corbi
05-14-2014, 03:50 PM
But you can report pm's so obviously someone up the ladder has the ability to read them.

baker
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
I've gotten a few I should have reported.

induced_drag
05-14-2014, 04:39 PM
But you can report pm's so obviously someone up the ladder has the ability to read them.

I cant answer this, but I have tested out other forums and only one other (that I am aware of) had this feature installed. It came out rather publicly (not in a good way)....so that is how I found our about it.

Like I said....I have never assumed privacy here on this forum, but I was surprised to see it installed over here. I just assumed this place had custom programming given their resources....but looks like it is just modded VBcode.

From my understanding, this is a code that has to be installed purposely, and is NOT standard. If it is there, it was put there for a reason.

No big deal....as long as everyone knows it...I have no issue with it. I looked through this place for "privacy statements" but I was having a hard time finding one....anyone direct me to their statement of privacy?

induced_drag
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Did some searching and they state pretty clearly that no privacy should be assumed on here in their privacy statement.

See part 6
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/disclaim.htm

Since they say "an area of the site" I guess that includes "private messages" as well. Maybe they would better be described as "direct messages" so no one could mistake the lack of "privacy" which might be easily assumed by their name.

6. Public Forums And Communication

"Forum" means an area, site or feature offered as part of any Site that offers the opportunity for users to Distribute Submissions for viewing by one or more Site users, including a chat area, message board, instant messaging, mobile messaging, social community environment, profile page, conversation page, blog, e-mail function (including electronic greeting cards and send-a-friend e-mails).

You acknowledge that Forums and features offered therein are for public and not private communications, and you have no expectation of privacy with regard to any Submission to a public Forum. We cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose through any of these media; you make such disclosures at your own risk.

Bando
05-14-2014, 04:51 PM

I don't visit internet forums, people are mean to me and bully me online :(

djflex
05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't visit internet forums, people are mean to me and bully me online :(

I hear ya. Someone once called me fat a few times. Ironically it was a PM. Sadly, food is my only comfort since then.

Iceman1800
05-14-2014, 05:30 PM
But you can report pm's so obviously someone up the ladder has the ability to read them.Correct but only ones that are reported.

EjnarKolinkar
05-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Use Yahoo messenger? The potential exists they could be read, this allows moderators to moderate. I'm not worried. Common sense stuff here.

Oceanside
05-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I cant answer this, but I have tested out other forums

dude...

if it's even an issue....

time to turn off the freaking computer and get back to reality :)

induced_drag
05-14-2014, 05:58 PM
dude...

if it's even an issue....

time to turn off the freaking computer and get back to reality :)

Like I have said at least twice in this topic. I have never assumed anything is private on this particular forum. Any other forum I visit (yes I have other interests) does not have it installed except for the recent way I found out about it. I was then surprised to see this bit of script installed here as well.

I just thought it was an interesting topic. I am all for transparency and think knowing these things is a good thing.

cowboybiker
05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Supermods.

They wear capes.

cowboybiker
05-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Not the nOOdz you were hoping for?

Corbi
05-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Supermods.

They wear capes.

So do some cross dressers, coincidence? :D

djflex
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Sorry man, wont happen again

cowboybiker
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
So do some cross dressers, coincidence? :D
Rocky Horror Super Mod

baker
05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Not the nOOdz you were hoping for?

I already have yours thanks.

Sorry man, wont happen again

http://i.imgur.com/QILQawK.gif

CatFunt
05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
So you're telling me that all the nudes I've been sending to female miscers in hope of some in return are being fapped over by the mods?

Damn, that's hot.

Oceanside
05-14-2014, 06:40 PM
I just thought it was an interesting topic.

I feel ya...

I just wouldn't be a true "troll" unless I chimed in occasionally to give you sh*t ...

because that's what "trolls" do...

they chime in :)

CatFunt
05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
I feel ya...

I just wouldn't be a true "troll" unless I chimed in occasionally to give you sh*t ...

because that's what "trolls" do...

they chime in :)

54 year old troll? Mirin commitment to the game bruh.

Oceanside
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Mirin commitment to the game bruh.

trust me...

that huge !

JediRN
05-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I found this interesting info on the web. There is a script when can be installed on bulletin boards which allow admins and mods with permission to read individuals PM's.

It can be easily checked by going to the forums you visit web home page and at the end of the url add the following and hit enter.

admincp/read_pms.php

If you are prompted for user and password then that forum has this script installed and can freely access users "Private" messages. If nothing comes up, then the script is NOT installed. This is not something that is installed as a default and had to be added to the forum if they want to read your "private" messages.

Do you even grammar?

DocHoss
05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
54 year old troll? Mirin commitment to the game bruh.
We all deeply admire Oceanside's heartfelt commitment and dedication to the art of trolling. :D

CatFunt
05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
trust me...

that huge !

No need to be mean dude, I used to be even more huge. ;)

Oceanside
05-14-2014, 07:49 PM
No need to be mean dude

didn't know where you were coming from....

to be honest I take "bruh" as sarcasm...

if that's not the case then my bad :)

acrawlingchaos
05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
didn't know where you were coming from....

to be honest I take "bruh" as sarcasm...

if that's not the case then my bad :)Stop flirting.

inb4 Jelly

latebloomingmom
05-14-2014, 07:58 PM
awwwww I think its sweet he made a friend :)

Old-Time-Lifter
05-14-2014, 09:18 PM
awwwww I think its sweet he made a friend :)

lol

Oceanside
05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
it's a whatever....

not in the mood to assert my dominance tonight....

chaos is always .......ALWAYS gonna be the girl for me :)

pharmamarketer
05-15-2014, 03:46 AM
I thought ID changed from English as his first language to something else when I read the title of the thread

Plateauplower
05-15-2014, 04:49 AM
I thought ID changed from English as his first language to something else when I read the title of the thread
coffee just shot out of my nose, thanks...I was abit confused on the title too. Interesting though, I expect no privacy on the interwebs...

fpena
05-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Just because it doesn't come up when someone types that URL doesn't mean it isn't installed.

It's real easy just to change the filename to something else so snoopers won't be able to figure it out.

induced_drag
05-15-2014, 07:59 AM

Yea, my typing skills leave a lot to be desired at times. Man....I am way worse after my head injury too. Sometimes in the middle of typing, I will completely change tense or other grammatical changes. I am just good enough typing to ALMOST do it without thinking....and there is where the problem lies! That is what happens when I dont proof what I type ;)

ChazWood
05-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Yea, my typing skills leave a lot to be desired at times. Man....I am way worse after my head injury too. Sometimes in the middle of typing, I will completely change tense or other grammatical changes. I am just good enough typing to ALMOST do it without thinking....and there is where the problem lies! That is what happens when I dont proof what I type ;)
I think I found some of your writing handiwork...

http://i.imgur.com/0ANiZ5K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DbnjLSh.jpg

:)

DocHoss
05-17-2014, 11:18 PM
I think I found some of your writing handiwork...

:)

Just wonderful!

TubbyDad
05-18-2014, 04:24 AM

You don't, but somebody does (or multiple people).

That PHP script just accesses wherever the PMs are located on a server or in a database. "admincp/read_pms.php" is just a file directory. It not being present doesn't mean admins can't read your PMs. I could write a script and throw it in the "admincp" folder on the server and call it "godmode.php" if I wanted to.

Someone, somewhere has access.

Iceman1800
05-18-2014, 04:41 AM
I'm sure tech support on here knows how to but why risk their job to do it?

TubbyDad
05-18-2014, 05:02 AM

Depends on what they have for privacy protocol. There may or may not be a rule stating that they can't access PMs unless mandated by a position of authority. I imagine there is a privacy policy in place but keep in mind, "IT" doesn't necessarily translate to "smart." (speaking not just in the capacity of these forums, but in IT in general)

pharmamarketer
05-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Depends on what they have for privacy protocol. There may or may not be a rule stating that they can't access PMs unless mandated by a position of authority. I imagine there is a privacy policy in place but keep in mind, "IT" doesn't necessarily translate to "smart." (speaking not just in the capacity of these forums, but in IT in general)

Life is that way>>>><<<<<<<^^^^^. Go find it

TubbyDad
05-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Life is that way>>>><<<<<<<^^^^^. Go find it

???

so-tex
05-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Life is that way>>>><<<<<<<^^^^^. Go find itThat's pretty damn funny. :)

FlaIronMind
05-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Somewhere bbsitum is dying to chime in here.

TubbyDad
05-18-2014, 08:58 AM
That's pretty damn funny. :)

Care to fill me in?

so-tex
05-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Care to fill me in?The NSA reads my Pm's all the time. Srs. Even a forum member can post a pm on here via copy and paste. This is bb.com's website not yours or mine, so I guess they can do what they damn well please. I'm not gonna get butthurt if some kinky mod wants to read my Pm's.

pharmamarketer
05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Care to fill me in?

No, it's not my thing but I am sure you could find a few guys in here that would oblige.

TubbyDad
05-18-2014, 12:55 PM
No, it's not my thing but I am sure you could find a few guys in here that would oblige.

I assume you were suggesting I get a life. Just not sure how my post(s) triggered that suggestion.

pharmamarketer
05-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I assume you were suggesting I get a life. Just not sure how my post(s) triggered that suggestion.

You are good my friend.....you are good.

cowboybiker
05-18-2014, 02:39 PM
The NSA reads my Pm's all the time. Srs. Even a forum member can post a pm on here via copy and paste. This is bb.com's website not yours or mine, so I guess they can do what they damn well please. I'm not gonna get butthurt if some kinky mod wants to read my Pm's.I find it disturbing that the NSA has been reading my posts and haven't repped me once.

so-tex
05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
I find it disturbing that the NSA has been reading my posts and haven't repped me once.The NSA has repped me twice. You're obviously doing it wrong.

cowboybiker
05-18-2014, 03:00 PM
The NSA has repped me twice. You're obviously doing it wrong.

The most I got was a rep from the Canadian government and a rather strange PM from the Queen of Britain.

GuyJin
05-18-2014, 03:14 PM
The most I got was a rep from the Canadian government and a rather strange PM from the Queen of Britain.
--

The Canadian government obviously thinks you're a Canadian ex-pat who's made it big in Hollywood and you owe them back taxes.

The Queen just wants your noodz. And GB never forgave America for that nasty ol' Revolooshonary War thingie...
:D

pharmamarketer
05-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I find it disturbing that the NSA has been reading my posts and haven't repped me once.

They like nudes.

cowboybiker
05-18-2014, 03:22 PM
They like nudes.

Then they obviously don't like mine :(

UnaChispita
05-18-2014, 08:33 PM

I'm sure they're risking it all just to get the plethora of bacon recipes I get via PM. :p

Jetigen
05-18-2014, 09:27 PM

admincp/read_pms.phpNothing new here. This script is around since vB 3.6.8 release. That's 2006. You are 8 years late with your revelation.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123166&highlight=read_pms.php

I just assumed this place had custom programming given their resources....but looks like it is just modded VBcode.It's heavily customized vBulletin board. I think it's based on the older vb4 release. BTW, it's stone age, especially when it comes to attachments, user-friendliness.

VBulletin had an exodus of loyal customers after their botched-up release of vB4.

Jetigen
05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
I could write a script and throw it in the "admincp" folder on the server and call it "godmode.php" if I wanted to.

Someone, somewhere has access.It goes further. The admin folder doesn't have to be named admincp. It can have whatever name you like. As a matter of fact it was advised by the vBulletin to rename it. All you have to do is to enter new admin folder name in config.php.

OzChops
05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm sure they're risking it all just to get the plethora of bacon recipes I get via PM. :p

Please share bacon recipes. :)

EDIT: ON topic, I've never assumed privacy anywhere on the internet unless it is explicitly stated, but thanks for the heads up ID.

so-tex
05-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Who really gives a fuk? Maybe ID is really a drag queen?
Btw Una, send bacon recipe and more nudez, if you ain't skeered.

Karl_Hungus
05-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Nothing new here. This script is around since vB 3.6.8 release. That's 2006. You are 8 years late with your revelation.

Well sh!t -- I guess you told him!