PDA

View Full Version : Caloric cost/expenditure of illness/allergies?

MBDonegan
05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
I have been experimenting for a very long time with reverse dieting and lean bulking, and have been getting very consistent, specific gains and maintaining a low bodyfat percentage for quite some time, but I recently hit a weird speed bump of sorts. Last week, while eating 3400 calories every day all week, I randomly lost about 5 pounds (which I wasn't trying to do at all) while I was having a sinus infection that was causing me to have to blow snot rockets constantly. On my last bulk cycle, 3400 caused me to slowly gain weight at pretty much that perfect "almost only muscle" pace that lean bulkers seek. I would imagine I'd have to go slightly higher this time to experience the same gains, but to have a 5 pound drop in weight at that calorie level seemed extreme and unusual. I'm up to 3450 this week. Seems things are more stable and usual now that I'm not showing symptoms, so I wonder if there is either a predictable/studied fluid loss or caloric cost/expenditure methodology of constant symptoms of illness, infection, allergy, etc or some metric we could begin to build to have guidelines on how to change eating for those moments.

Grelko
05-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I never really looked into it much, but when you are sick, your body would be working overtime "fever, making antibodies etc" to fix the problem which might raise your metabolism for those days? Or, when you get sick, you're probably not eating as much, and probably going to the bathroom more often which would make you lose weight/water.

MBDonegan
05-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I never really looked into it much, but when you are sick, your body would be working overtime "fever, making antibodies etc" to fix the problem which might raise your metabolism for those days? Or, when you get sick, you're probably not eating as much, and probably going to the bathroom more often which would make you lose weight/water.

I figure it's one of the two, possibly water weight what with all the snot rocketry, but it's hard to tell which one is at play. haha

yettiatcpg
05-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I just happened accrossed an article here in BB about a sup and it had good info on the break down of immune system. you may want to read a bit..
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast7.htm

Mr.Cooper69
05-18-2014, 01:58 AM
I just happened accrossed an article here in BB about a sup and it had good info on the break down of immune system. you may want to read a bit..
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast7.htm

This article is about HMB, with absolutely no mention of the immune system.

Illness due to infection is calorically taxing, especially from a nitrogen standpoint (protein-consuming). Allergies, however, are usually due to bursts of histamine release which will expend next to zero calories.