PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Lost Alpha - Free Reimagining of the original Shadow of Chernobyl

Taikun
05-06-2014, 10:32 AM
This mod was recently released after years in production and it's absolutely amazing. It is a ground-up reworking of the entire original STALKER game focused on restoring original content from the Alpha among many other things. If you're a fan of the original SoC or are looking to get into the series, this is a great place to start because it's completely free and doesn't require owning the original game.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

The game still follows the story of the original but extensively modifies it to stay fresh. Every inch of the Zone has been reworked so even familiar areas like the Cordon and Garbage are totally new. There are new gameplay elements like eating and drinking as well as the weapon modification system of the newer games. Lost enemies have been restored like the older Oblivion Lost and Complete mods as well as entire new factions.

The game came out more than a week ago but it was horribly buggy so I couldn't recommend it. I couldn't even get out of the starting area without crashing to desktop. The recently released patch solved all my issues, now I'm cruising through the game and loving it.

Both the mod itself and the patch are available from an official torrent as well so you don't need to download from moddb. I can't guarantee all the bugs have been patched, it's still a user-released mod so keep that in mind.

Goatlord
05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Tbh the first Stalker sucked major balls, so did the 2nd. The storyline was all over the place and I was feeling the whole time as if I was doing quests just so the programmers have an excuse for calling it a game. Nothing felt organic or well-thought out at all. I felt like I was in a world with no purpose, if that makes sense.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat was GOAT though, awesome atmosphere and horror-feeling, kinda like a more mature Fallout 3. Ironically the game was not supposed to be for people like me at all regardless, extremely hard game where every single enemy was good enough to kill me, this is the game that made me remember the F5 button for all eternity. Still had a whole lot of fun with it, never finished though. I read they wanted to release Stalker 2 years ago, but nothing ever came out of it apparently.

Would you recommend the game to somebody like me who hated the first two Stalkers but liked the third? Honest opinion.

Taikun
05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Would you recommend the game to somebody like me who hated the first two Stalkers but liked the third? Honest opinion.

Those criticisms of the story are fair, CoP was easily the most accessible because of it's story, even if the end wasn't good. The original had the best story, but it was told poorly and you don't even hear about most of it until the last couple scenes of the game. I'll agree that outside of a few key cutscenes it's very heavy handed. If you didn't like the first one because of that, you probably won't like this one either.

That being said, the whole appeal of STALKER (at least to me) is the survival, gunplay and environment. Both SoC and CoP are best near the end when you have to deal with the environmental hazards of the zone as well as multiple hostile factions. You have to fight for every inch of ground you gain in the later areas of Pripyat and the NPP while dodging blowouts and military hardware. Lost Alpha certainly maintains the panicked, frantic gunplay of those games but it is running on the original engine so does feel a bit dated.

It's not an easy series by any means, and much of the gameplay feels rough and unaccessible, but once you get over that it's just so satisfying.

Goatlord
05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Those criticisms of the story are fair, CoP was easily the most accessible because of it's story, even if the end wasn't good. The original had the best story, but it was told poorly and you don't even hear about most of it until the last couple scenes of the game. I'll agree that outside of a few key cutscenes it's very heavy handed. If you didn't like the first one because of that, you probably won't like this one either.

That being said, the whole appeal of STALKER (at least to me) is the survival, gunplay and environment. Both SoC and CoP are best near the end when you have to deal with the environmental hazards of the zone as well as multiple hostile factions. You have to fight for every inch of ground you gain in the later areas of Pripyat and the NPP while dodging blowouts and military hardware. Lost Alpha certainly maintains the panicked, frantic gunplay of those games but it is running on the original engine so does feel a bit dated.

It's not an easy series by any means, and much of the gameplay feels rough and unaccessible, but once you get over that it's just so satisfying.

I see, I will give it a try just because, I don't really have many games to play right now anyway.

Yeah I read that Stalker is targetting mostly the hardcore FPS audience and I'm the total opposite of that but I still liked the 3rd Installment because it was different and fun for me, I never really played a game like that before unless we count Fallout 3 which came around a similar time but is far easier, it was also my first Stalker and I thought compared to the first two it was easier accessible, it had everything the first two had but more refined and better IMHO. I initially became interested in the game once I heard that the same company making Metro 2033 was also behind Stalker, and since that was the only FPS I ever enjoyed at that time I thought why not, although Metro and Stalker are lightyears apart gameplay wise in every way.

jfcundiff
05-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Wait, so is this almost like playing a new game? I played all of the STALKERS already. As great as they were (yes, I enjoyed Clear Sky a lot), I couldn't see myself replaying through it again.

EDIT* Read more about it. Will certainly download tonight and mess around with it.

Pakoe
05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Just finished all three games, the first one was pretty cool. Had allot of potential but in the end failed to deliver. The second and third one i didn't even finish, goddamn both are so ****ing horrible srs.

barracudal
05-06-2014, 02:43 PM
all of the s.t.a.l.k.e.r games are great. I just got done with another play through of COP and its still probably my favorite. definitely will check out this new mod for SOC, thanks OP.

Heych1995
05-07-2014, 03:54 AM
played SOC, couldnt get into clear skies.. will try out call of pripyat soon.

jfcundiff
05-07-2014, 06:47 AM
This is mod is fantastic so far. I'm only in the first part of the Zone, and it is completely different from the original STALKER. Makes it more challenging since I don't know what to expect when walking around.

Pakoe
05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm downloading this right now, hope it's good.

chevy72blu
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I tried to play SoC with the 2009 mod for several hours... I just couldnt get into it. Never played any of them until a few months ago when I built my PC.

skullcrusher149
05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Fuark, will have to boot up my game. I still have the CD version, so I've got about 5 to go through, lulz. Game is one of the GOAT shooters.

Taikun
05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Fuark, will have to boot up my game. I still have the CD version, so I've got about 5 to go through, lulz. Game is one of the GOAT shooters.

This mod is totally standalone so you don't need the original game at all. But yeah, I've played the original through at least a few times with various mods and it holds up surprisingly well.

I reached the X-18 lab under Dark Valley last night and had to stop. Whoever decided to add creepy laughing to the background ambiance is a f**king as*hole. Between the sounds, the limited flashlight battery and the damn dwarves it's not a calming experience. I was starting to jump at just the shadows and knew I had to take a break.

My opinion of this mod only gets higher as I play. There have already been enough differences in the gameplay, story and maps to keep it feeling fresh and interesting for me while still maintaining that classic STALKER feel.

Pakoe
05-08-2014, 04:06 AM
This mod is totally standalone so you don't need the original game at all. But yeah, I've played the original through at least a few times with various mods and it holds up surprisingly well.

I reached the X-18 lab under Dark Valley last night and had to stop. Whoever decided to add creepy laughing to the background ambiance is a f**king as*hole. Between the sounds, the limited flashlight battery and the damn dwarves it's not a calming experience. I was starting to jump at just the shadows and knew I had to take a break.

My opinion of this mod only gets higher as I play. There have already been enough differences in the gameplay, story and maps to keep it feeling fresh and interesting for me while still maintaining that classic STALKER feel.

I was doing the quest where you have to safe Fox, but i only had 3 bullets lol. Took me 30 minutes to get past, then i found out i need to put ammo on my belt...... This game.

jfcundiff
05-08-2014, 11:32 AM

This mod just reaffirms my belief that the entire STALKER series are easily the most atmospheric games ever. Just walking through the Zone by yourself can be unnerving since you never know what will appear.

gbullock32
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Enjoyed the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, enjoyed it far more with a couple of mods that cleaned up the game play; definitely going to replay for this.

jfcundiff
05-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Enjoyed the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, enjoyed it far more with a couple of mods that cleaned up the game play; definitely going to replay for this.
So far, it is well worth the replay.

MulattoBrah33
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
looking to get into the STALKER series after im finished with Dark Souls 2