PDA

View Full Version : Holy fuk at Destiny's Budget (Activision pls...) (500 mill)

Synble
05-06-2014, 05:46 AM
WAT DA FUQ mane, 500 million jesus christ, I'll laugh so hard if this flops, although i hope it doesn't

mind is so blown

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/6/5686268/Destiny-costs-activision-500-million-to-develop-promote

Activision Blizzard will spend $500 million developing and promoting developer Bungie's upcoming first-person action game, Destiny, CEO Bobby Kotick revealed during the Milken conference in Los Angeles last week, Reuters reports.

An Activision Blizzard spokesperson confirmed the amount with Reuters earlier this week, according to the publication, who said the figure also includes "marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs." The figure follows community manager Eric Osborne's recent comments that Activision has "invested exponentially more resources into this universe than we ever have before on a game."

"We shipped Halo: Reach with 150 people," Osborne told Polygon in an interview. "We've got about 500 now working on Destiny. It takes a lot of people, and a lot of smart people to make a game that measures up today."

Bungie signed an agreement with Activision in 2010 to develop and publish four Destiny games over the next decade, and grants the developer with freedoms in terms of game design and creative approach with the franchise. "If you're making a $500 million bet you can't take that chance with someone else's IP. The stakes for us are getting bigger," Kotick said at the the Milken conference.

Kotick mentioned in the fourth quarter earnings report in February that the company expects Destiny to be the publisher's "next billion dollar franchise" and "the best-selling new video game IP in history." With its first quarter results expected to be revealed today, its fourth quarter earnings were better than expected. The company brought in more than $1.5 billion in revenue, while it earned $4.58 billion in GAAP net revenues during the 2013 calendar year, down from $4.85 billion in the previous year.

To learn more about Destiny and find out what Bungie is doing with it that moves shooting games forward, read our hand-on impressions and interview with members of the development team. Set for a full release on Sept. 9, the Destiny beta is slated for this summer on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, while the public beta will also be available on Xbox 360 and Xbox One at an unannounced date.

JTeK
05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm interested to see how the success of this game plays out. They shouldn't have reminded anyone about the failure that was Halo: Reach though...lol.

Set for a full release on Sept. 9, the Destiny beta is slated for this summer on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, while the public beta will also be available on Xbox 360 and Xbox One at an unannounced date.

Damn...

Ronnie87
05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
It's strange how they agree to make 4 games before even having success with the first. It's almost as if they know the combination of mass marketing and cookie cutter FPS model will sell a lot of units.

joedirt87
05-06-2014, 08:29 AM
They'll make it back easily. All they need is everyone who likes Halo/Bungie to buy a copy. gonna try and get into the Beta, no way I'll splash 60 without trying it.

crosso
05-06-2014, 08:52 AM
lol this is gonna be like the starwars mmo, 200 mil budget, fails miserably.

some crappy halo clone
no thx jeff

Beerculez
05-06-2014, 08:56 AM
According to wikipedia GTA V was the previously most expenive at 265 million...

I bet some of the other games in development are pretty expensive too though but damn that's a lot they are putting into destiny, it better be epic.

bodymovesyou
05-06-2014, 08:57 AM
DLC's will help too

OberstGeiger
05-06-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm interested to see how the success of this game plays out. They shouldn't have reminded anyone about the failure that was Halo: Reach though...lol.

Set for a full release on Sept. 9, the Destiny beta is slated for this summer on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, while the public beta will also be available on Xbox 360 and Xbox One at an unannounced date.

Damn...
I cant find anything saying Halo Reach was a failure.

WarrNation
05-06-2014, 09:09 AM
meh.

*Only interested in third person shooters crew*

JTeK
05-06-2014, 09:18 AM

I should have clarified that it was a personal opinion on how the game played in comparison to Halo 2/3 and not the financial aspect...not to open up this can or worms again but..

Gewichtmeister
05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
The money is certainly not for just one game but for the whole franchise they are trying to create.

Bluku
05-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Not profit-wise. If you liked Halo, then it was.

joedirt87
05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
meh.

*Only interested in third person shooters crew*

I was really hoping this game was third person or at least you could switch from 1st to 3rd. I heard that in towns it's 3rd person, and some combat actions also.

KC2892
05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
You'd be surprised honestly how much of a difference it makes in the number and quality of staff. Many of the biggest games which had even better expansions (WoW for example), always increased staff when the workload increased. Most companies you see making either expansions or sequels that don't live up to their hype are usually due to making a release date, in which they increase the workload but not the staff, forcing more work and deadlines down someones throat who can hardly already breathe in that industry. Unless you are on a board in a major gaming company, or a big time lead dev, you're treated like trash in an industry that is run by those who are greedy and worked by those who have passion.

I have so much respect for people that do what they love, game design, although they are expendable and treated like ****, they love what they do. Very very few people can do what they love and get paid for it, those that do should be looked up to.

MajesticLion
05-06-2014, 12:36 PM
1. Too many chefs in the kitchen
2. Activision

bongowongo
05-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Lmao

Bobby Kockdick and Activision will bleed you guys with all sorts of microtranscations and DLC to break even. Hopefully the game is a success though, RPG shooters are always fun and interesting.

RAdaRuggedMan
05-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Not profit-wise. If you liked Halo, then it was.
It killed the Halo franchise. Halo 4 finished the job.

Slurgie
05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Inb4 it actually cost 10 mil and this is just a clever marketing scheme to get people hyped.

Goatlord
05-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Game costs 120 Mill or so but the rest is for marketing, enjoy your poverty overhyped Titanfall clone. Had absolutely **** graphics in the trailer too, and the setting is way too terrible and generic to take seriously. Literally zero personality or style, literally the most generic shooter available but hyped up to the top.

AAA games in the future = Cheap, ugly looking, generic games that waste 100s of millions on promotion. Too bad its gonna backfire like with most ****ty AAA games except COD or BF who deserve it aswell. Would lol if those phaggots file bankruptcy.

tk217
05-06-2014, 05:04 PM
This game doesn't even remotely interest me. :(