PDA

View Full Version : Thank You for your service......made in 2012 still holds strong feelings

Frnkd
05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
x2L3skZ7FEw

This video that was posted on my FB was so powerful to me- now that my son is in the US Army, it made me think of those days when Vietnam vets would return without the respect or dignity that they deserved for serving. I was in high school at that time and remember watching the news and hearing stories of people wanting to change seats in a plane, or not being served in restaurant.

SP1966
05-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Awesome!

Wayne Evans
05-06-2014, 06:44 AM
now that my son is in the US Army.

Respect to your son for his courage to serve.

I found the video very touching and I can certainly relate to your other comments.

Shvt....I'm on spread with you.

Carry on....

ironwill2008
05-06-2014, 07:54 AM
I can relate, OP. And while I've personally put all of that in the past, I'm certainly pleased that civilians' opinion of those who stand to protect this country has greatly changed for the better.

Please offer your son my thanks for his service.

Wayne Evans
05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
I can relate, OP. And while I've personally put all of that in the past, I'm certainly pleased that civilians' opinion of those who stand to protect this country has greatly changed for the better.

Brother Ironwill....hope all is well with you.
I'm above the dirt again this morning so no whining from me. :)

BOLD: yes...I'm pleased to say that my perception is that it's much different now.
Much of my S.E. Asian experience is still very vivid and yet it's hard to believe it's been so long since that profound (13) month picnic.

Do carry on....back to topic.

GuyJin
05-06-2014, 08:22 AM
In total agreement with what Ironwill said. And may I also offer my thanks to those who have served--and those that continue to serve.

eomrat
05-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Great message. Very moving.

Phattso
05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

so-tex
05-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Awesome video. Thanks to all who served/serving.

crupiea
05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
My first ship in 1980 was the USS Coral Sea. We were based out of Alameda.

When we put to sea we would go under the golden gate bridge. a really beautiful site. most people dont get to see the view from underneath and you could really feel the history.

Many of the older guys on the ship served in Vietnam and said when they came home from a long deployment that people would stand on the bridge and dump garbage on them when they passed under it. That really hurt to hear as these guys were about as tough and proud as anyone i had ever known.

So out of respect for my shipmates I would like to say **** you to each and every one of you cowardly hippies out there where ever you are.

Go Navy.

MiklaDfar
05-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Nearly brought tears to my eyes. While never in the military (though my father was 21 years Army), I spent the last 30 years working in an industry developing technology to support the saying "to protect those that protect us". That phrase has never meant so much as it does now... my son is in the Air Force.

To all those that serve or have served... Thank You!

Wayne Evans
05-06-2014, 09:49 AM
My first ship in 1980 was the USS Coral Sea.

Hmm....you were on an aircraft carrier too.

I spent a few weeks on the USS Princeton in February 1966 on my way to a land far, far away.
It was modified to be an LPH-5 (Landing Platform Helicopter).

Even though the Princeton was small by contemporary standards one does not know how LARGE these muthers are until one is near or actually on one.
It was decommissioned and scraped in 1971 a couple years after picking up the Apollo 10 astronauts.
I have a lot of memories of that trip...especially the typhoon we experienced in the South China sea as I was standing at the open bay doors on the hanger deck, gripping that thick rope barrier quite firmly while checking out the huge swells.

Carry on....

wulf88
05-06-2014, 11:44 AM
25 years Navy and Army here and still going. I have the utmost respect for all our VETS through out our country. I honestly get uncomfortable when people come up to me and thank me for my service, especially when the majority of friends i grew up father's are Vietnam Vets and I know the **** they went through in those times. As Crupiea said, "**** you to each and every one of you cowardly hippies out there where ever you are"!

Requitor
05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Always wondered, what does the "USS" stand for? Igonorant old soldier here.

Requitor
05-06-2014, 01:16 PM
....and I misspelled "ignorant"...that is just... yeah...wow...

NorwichGrad
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
That was a very moving video. Thanks for posting. That man, that old soldier, in case you’re wondering, served with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment aka “Black Horse Cav.” (The assistant commandant at Norwich my senior year was with the same unit during Desert Storm, so I knew the patch.)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/11TH-ARMORED-CAVALRY-REGIMENT-THE-BLACK-HORSE-CAV-WHITE-SHIRT-ORIGINAL-/00/s/MTI2N1gxNTk3/$T2eC16dHJHIE9nysfCP5BQ26MgkFyg~~60_1.JPG

A week ago at the gas station I ran into an old armored soldier. He served with the 1st Armored Division in Vietnam,. I told him I was in the same unit 20 years after he got out. I thanked him for his service, and he thanked me as well.

NorwichGrad
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
USS = United States Ship

HMS = Her/His Majestys Ship

NCC doesn't stand for anything

Top,

Don't forget DMB.. It's for the Italian Navy. Stands for:

Dats
Maya
Boata

:D