PDA

View Full Version : Is retro and classic gaming almost extinct?

linkin90
05-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I've been debating getting a SNES and a genesis recently to play some classic games, however, I am realizing that a lot of the classic hardware for retro gaming is really becoming extinct. The systems themselves have been around so long that you would assume they would start to crap out on you sooner rather than later. It is only going to get harder and harder to find a working Atari, Genesis, NES, etc. as the years pass. Hell even the HDTVS we have now aren't very compatible with retro gaming, they look and play so much worse on these tvs and classic CRT tvs aren't even being made anymore. Kind of depressing that one day, a day that may not be much further away, those classic systems and game cartridges will all just be a memory. It won't exist, only digital releases of classic games on whatever gaming device we will have in the future.

InstantLoser
05-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Don't hate, emulate.

linkin90
05-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Don't hate, emulate.

I'm aware, kind of talking about the whole experience for retro gaming, with all of the original hardware. I have also heard that emulation is not as good as playing on the actual system but idk how true that is.

InstantLoser
05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm aware, kind of talking about the whole experience for retro gaming, with all of the original hardware. I have also heard that emulation is not as good as playing on the actual system but idk how true that is.

I haven't played an actual NES console since the late 80's so my memory is bound to be a bit hazy, but I've had no problems with the emulators I've tried (NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGraphix 16, PSX, PS2, Dreamcast) with either how they played, or how they looked. Just plug in your game pad (easily had for ~$20), configure your input device, and go baby go. ROMS never get dusty either, although I suppose for an "authentic NES experience", blowing the dust off the contacts repeatedly to get the game to load might be required.

poisyn
05-05-2014, 06:33 PM
From your virgin thread, did the dealer tell you that your car is a GT? Just curious since it's not

jasonjb
05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
you can buy new consoles from companies that play old games so you dont have to worry about them crapping out on you like the retroduo

linkin90
05-05-2014, 06:42 PM
From your virgin thread, did the dealer tell you that your car is a GT? Just curious since it's not

I have no idea what this means

seanb1979
05-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Don't hate, emulate.

pretty much this... there are emulators and roms for all that old ****

SOJA
05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Top down shooters are slowly coming back. Won't say much, but there's some cool stuff coming out this fall!

Nosmail
05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
dvekVAl8fho

InstantLoser
05-05-2014, 07:17 PM

No. If I posted that, I goofed. I know it's not a GT.