PDA

View Full Version : pc techs pls help with problem

dissention
05-05-2014, 06:33 PM
My desktop is chitting itself atms. When i turn my pc on, the fans and lights come on, i can hear the HDD spinning too but theres no initial beep like usual, and my monitor doesnt respond or show anything.
There's power to the monitor as well so (im guessing) theres a problem with either my video card or motherboard. I've tried taking out the ram and video card and cleaning them to no avail. pls help misc

seanb1979
05-05-2014, 06:51 PM
youre failing to post.. check for bad caps on the motherboard (google bad caps to see what they look like)

also try pulling 1 stick of ram at a time... unplug power before doing any of this for a couple mins... do you have onboard video or a video card? or both?

dissention
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
youre failing to post.. check for bad caps on the motherboard (google bad caps to see what they look like)

also try pulling 1 stick of ram at a time... unplug power before doing any of this for a couple mins... do you have onboard video or a video card? or both?

cheers ill try that.
I dont have onboard video, just a video card. It was a custom made computer that i purchased a few years ago.

InstantLoser
05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Reset the CMOS. You may have changed something in the BIOS that is now causing the system to be unstable/unable to post.

seanb1979
05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
could be a failing video card.. also check for bad caps on the video card

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Blown_capacitor_on_video_card.jpg

it might also just be a bad motherboard... if you dont have parts to test it can be a pain in the ass, so it m ight be easier to find a reasonably priced repair shop and let them deal with it

dissention
05-05-2014, 10:07 PM
thanks for the replies guys. will try these out when i finish work in a couple of hours and update.

skullcrusher149
05-05-2014, 11:43 PM
I'd be willing to bet it is a video card problem, as I have experienced those symptoms in the past and it was my card. Typically, if it were a RAM issue, it would have a long, drawn out POST beep (or a continuous beep), similar to when a stick is out of alignment.

BrokeBrahMtn
05-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Just plug the hdmi/video cable into the motherboard display out port (instead of video card) to determine if it's a video card issue....

seanb1979
05-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Just plug the hdmi/video cable into the motherboard display out port (instead of video card) to determine if it's a video card issue....

he said his MB had no onboard video

SeanBrah56
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
he said his MB had no onboard video

Dont most modern processors come with integrated graphics? I was always under the assumption that the processor carried the integrated graphics, not the motherboard.

Try it if your motherboard has a video out port. That'll narrow down/ isolate the part that has gone bad.

I'd be willing to bet its either a CMOS of video card issue. Check for mushroomed capacitors on the motherboard and video card as well.

EDIT: Nvm on the integrated graphics part. Check for mushroomed capacitors, reset your CMOS, and see if that helps. If we had pictures, it would help immensely.

seanb1979
05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Dont most modern processors come with integrated graphics? I was always under the assumption that the processor carried the integrated graphics, not the motherboard.

Try it if your motherboard has a video out port. That'll narrow down/ isolate the part that has gone bad.

I'd be willing to bet its either a CMOS of video card issue. Check for mushroomed capacitors on the motherboard and video card as well.

EDIT: Nvm on the integrated graphics part. Check for mushroomed capacitors, reset your CMOS, and see if that helps. If we had pictures, it would help immensely.

depends, quite a few motherboards dont have onboard graphics

dissention
05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
nothing has worked so far. my motherboard doesnt have intergrated graphics on it so ill try another video card off a friend and see how that goes. Thanks all for the help so far!