PDA

View Full Version : How do people stand windows 8?

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Working on a clients system with windows 8. Recovery options all fail, every time I apply an update it deletes the boot record (this is on a clean install btw.) I kept pushing through repairing the boot record each time hoping I could at least get it to the point of installing the 8.1 update and seeing if MAYBE that would fix it, but then 8.1 just fails with an unknown error. Amazing microsoft. ****ing amazing.

Not to mention even with UAC off it gives tons of permissions and rights errors.

dzj
05-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Could it be a faulty HD? I really don't have any problems with windows 8. I have the few hiccups here and there but it's the samething with windows 7. In fact I always get a huge memory leak with windows 7.

skullcrusher149
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Windows Server 2012 R2 on W8 is pretty fly, but the OS as a whole is kind of frustrating after a while. I find PowerShell works really smoothly on it, though.

MiscMathematician
05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I originally felt it was OK but was often annoyed with it, but not because of the normal reasons, it was because of user account control. It asked me for every little thing, and with it turned off I couldn't use metro apps, of which there were a few I liked like One Note. Windows 8.1 solved that issue, and now it is my favorite OS.

I haven't had issue with the MBR at all. Recovery works fine. Likely a hardware-specific problem you're having. Not software

JalexM
05-03-2014, 02:09 PM
If you use it for more than a day you get used to it and now I like it better than Windows 7. Sounds like your client had a faulty install or something

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Could it be a faulty HD? I really don't have any problems with windows 8. I have the few hiccups here and there but it's the samething with windows 7. In fact I always get a huge memory leak with windows 7.

brand new hard drive, passed quick tests... every single time windows updates were applied, the bcd record was corrupted... i could install anything else, reboot, etc.. not worth messing with, currently loading win 7 on the machine

its also retarded you cant use the key that comes with your win 8 machine with a retail version of the disc... microsoft wants people to buy another copy if they want a fresh load not from a recovery partition

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 02:16 PM
If you use it for more than a day you get used to it and now I like it better than Windows 7. Sounds like your client had a faulty install or something

its a CLEAN install from an asus recovery partition on a new drive.. the windows 8 repair options are pretty horrible too

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Windows Server 2012 R2 on W8 is pretty fly, but the OS as a whole is kind of frustrating after a while. I find PowerShell works really smoothly on it, though.

i only use powershell to do stuff with microsoft hosted exchange.. i have several customers on server 2012 and i dont like the rights and group policy management for remote desktop services... now i just use hyperv and mount a 2008 r2 RDS image and j ust use 2012 as the DC... even the DHCP portion of 2012 is flakey and fails to import settings from other servers a lot of the time

MiscMathematician
05-03-2014, 02:23 PM
its a CLEAN install from an asus recovery partition on a new drive.. the windows 8 repair options are pretty horrible too

I had problems with my asus t100ta and booting too; so possibly related to how Asus sets up recovery. I created tons of threads on a few different websites for help to solve the problem. I did another fresh install from USB and it worked just fine afterward. Still not sure what the issue was but Asus's recovery is what jacked up my system in the first place. Do a clean install with a fresh ISO and all your problems = dust

Budjola
05-03-2014, 02:30 PM
8.1pro 64bit working like a motha fukin charm crew

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 02:32 PM
I had problems with my asus t100ta and booting too; so possibly related to how Asus sets up recovery. I created tons of threads on a few different websites for help to solve the problem. I did another fresh install from USB and it worked just fine afterward. Still not sure what the issue was but Asus's recovery is what jacked up my system in the first place. Do a clean install with a fresh ISO and all your problems = dust

another issue is i cant just use the win 8 cd key from the previous install on a legit iso of win 8... i guess i can just use a crack - i imagine there are windows loaders for win 8

im just doing a clean install with win 7... been a waste of time so far since this isnt a high profit customer, but its a learning experience with asus... they make great desktop boards but im not impressed with their laptops at all

jerzyfit
05-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Agreed. Once you get use to Windows 8 its actually really handy. For some reason I love where the search bar is. Just bring my mouse right to the top corner and boom lol idk why I think its cool.

seanb1979
05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Agreed. Once you get use to Windows 8 its actually really handy. For some reason I love where the search bar is. Just bring my mouse right to the top corner and boom lol idk why I think its cool.

you cant navigate to network addresses through the search... another great 'upgrade' over 7

i do like the enhanced search and the search seems faster... i like the task manager, but it has too many drawbacks over 7

jerzyfit
05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
you cant navigate to network addresses through the search... another great 'upgrade' over 7

i do like the enhanced search and the search seems faster... i like the task manager, but it has too many drawbacks over 7

Can you do it for the classic start button though? I've never worked on a clients PC that was Windows 8. My work laptop is Windows 8 and my laptop. I like it but idk... I'm not upgrading my desktop from Win7 pro to 8