PDA

View Full Version : please help! cant find am2 processor

SouljaJoe010
05-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm glad this subsection is here :D
I need help finding an am2 cpu, I am looking all around but I don't see any that is under $40(trying to get a used one) also preferably a site where I can put a 12v 4 pin extension cable + am2 heatsink fan in a cart

InstantLoser
05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm glad this subsection is here :D
I need help finding an am2 cpu, I am looking all around but I don't see any that is under $40(trying to get a used one) also preferably a site where I can put a 12v 4 pin extension cable + am2 heatsink fan in a cart

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Sempron-3400-Socket-AM2/dp/B000MC7RNO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398975321&sr=8-2&keywords=AM2+sempron

$11 plus s/h. (add a CPU HSF assembly for another $11 in combo deals).

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-101316-Extension-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003L18WTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398975416&sr=8-1&keywords=molex+extension+cable

$3.11

SouljaJoe010
05-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks bro! Also I forgot to mention, board is am2, but looking for am2 cpu because I dont want to risk getting am3(even though some say its compatible depending on DDR) and it doesn't fit

InstantLoser
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks bro! Also I forgot to mention, board is am2, but looking for am2 cpu because I dont want to risk getting am3(even though some say its compatible depending on DDR) and it doesn't fit

The CPU socket is the same number of pins if I recall, or at least the CPU's are typically forward compatible (ie an AM2 would work in an AM3 board) but if your board is using DDR2 for example and the new board uses DDR3, if the CPU you're using is old (ie the Sempron I linked) and lacks a DDR3 onboard memory controller it clearly wouldn't work with DDR3. I'm not sure if an AM3 CPU would be able to utilize DDR2, or if they're not backwards compatible and only work with DDR3. Also, your board may be old enough that there may not be a BIOS revision to allow AM3 CPU's anyway. Usually you need an updated BIOS to allow that backward compatibility.

You probably knew all that though.. :p

SouljaJoe010
05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
The CPU socket is the same number of pins if I recall, or at least the CPU's are typically forward compatible (ie an AM2 would work in an AM3 board) but if your board is using DDR2 for example and the new board uses DDR3, if the CPU you're using is old (ie the Sempron I linked) and lacks a DDR3 onboard memory controller it clearly wouldn't work with DDR3. I'm not sure if an AM3 CPU would be able to utilize DDR2, or if they're not backwards compatible and only work with DDR3. Also, your board may be old enough that there may not be a BIOS revision to allow AM3 CPU's anyway. Usually you need an updated BIOS to allow that backward compatibility.

You probably knew all that though.. :p

Nope, just googled it and youre right about possible bios incompatibility.... and I dont really feel like waiting until I get my pc & manual back from cousin.

Also I have to avoid buying from amazon because I live in the bahamas, they will separately ship items in cart.
And picking each up is an added $15 ($45 just for pick up)

InstantLoser
05-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Nope, just googled it and youre right about possible bios incompatibility.... and I dont really feel like waiting until I get my pc & manual back from cousin.

Also I have to avoid buying from amazon because I live in the bahamas, they will separately ship items in cart.
And picking each up is an added $15 ($45 just for pick up)

Bummer mang. I'm leaving work now, will try to see if I can find deals anywhere else but I'm not sure about those Bahamas shipping policies. Could be bad everywhere.

SouljaJoe010
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
That's only with amazon and ebay, the shipping is done by separate companies altogether from amazon. But dedicated sites such as tigerdirect and newegg (both do not have am2 :( ) will package all items into one box( then I win b y just paying for that single shipping)

SouljaJoe010
05-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Idk If I can really trust a used cpu, but most likely I will get cpu from amazon and buy the extension/heatsink&fan from tigerdirect