PDA

View Full Version : home theatre/audio help

freeburn
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
looking for a decent theatre in a box type setup. yes i am aware piecing together a custom setup would be better but its for my gf who is buying a new tv for herself. i'm looking for something of decent quality in the 200-400$ range. i am not interested in building a custom set up for her.

so far these have caught my eye, but i really don't know much about them so if anyone has some recommendations pls help.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398968721&sr=8-2&keywords=home+theatre

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000GU78Z4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1398968721&sr=8-9&keywords=home+theatre

will be used with regular tv/blu ray/iphone/android/console/pc

freeburn
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
also with something like this would it be able to upgrade to custom speakers in the future if i wanted to?

freeburn
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Bump audio phaggots

GinoFelino
05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Get this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008YDTRZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398975136&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

From here

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkls3100/onkyo-ls3100-envisioncinema-2.1-channel-bluetooth-speaker-system/1.html

She'll like having Bluetooth.

freeburn
05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm not Gunna pay 400 for 2.1. Looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 with a Reciever

Blue tooth iisn't totally necessary since she has apple tv

castingcouch
05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Brah tbh with that budget the stuff you get will be on the very very low end side and won't differ much in quality. For 200$ you can barely get a low end AVR, let alone a complete 5.1 or 7.1 system. Just go for anything that doesn't look too shabby brah, I'm speaking from experience.

Even for low end, you'd need a budget of at least 1k$ to really get a noticable improved quality over those. In that case I'd recommend something like Yamaha RX-V371 as an AVR, some pairs of Infinity Primus speakers and Klipsch RW-10d as subs.

gmsd
05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Are you going to properly use a 5.1 configuration?

http://www.wendycarlos.com/surround/6)srnd.jpg

If you're not going to do this, then I would suggest getting a soundbar. Does your gf even give one single fukk about surround sound?

cyde
05-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Stick with a 2.0 set up for now with a budget AVR. If she wants to expand to 5.1 later, that will always be an option. A good 2.0 set up will destroy HTiB systems. For budget bookshelf speakers, check out HTD, Fluance, Cambridge S30. The S30s are small speakers but sound great for their price and size.

niktak11
05-01-2014, 05:53 PM
The monoprice premium system is a decent poverty set. Wait for a Denon E300 to go on sale for $200 and pair it with that

freeburn
05-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Are you going to properly use a 5.1 configuration?

http://www.wendycarlos.com/surround/6)srnd.jpg

If you're not going to do this, then I would suggest getting a soundbar. Does your gf even give one single fukk about surround sound?

yes. it will be setup around the room.

shes not an audiophile by any means but she wants something loud and decent. she really likes 3d movies and wants the immersion of a full surround setup. obviously don't expect the most amazing sounding thing ever, but something that will be loud and at least somewhat quality sounding during movies/gaming/music.she has a soundbar already and it doesn't cut it. like i said i'm not looking to buy any parts, something complete in a box. not an investment, just a one stop shop type of deal. i'll save the real audio build for when we move in together and i set up something in the living room for myself. this will be for her bedroom, a pretty large room at that. the 7.1 i posted in the OP is looking like my best bet. a home theater in a box is right up her alley.

more so i am looking for advice on a good theater in a box setup, rather then what bookshelves and stuff to buy. this is budget stuff for my GF bros, i don't need super high end stuff, but i would like the receiver to be able to carry on if i ever do decide to use custom speakers on it.

niktak11
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
The monoprice premium set goes on sale for ~$190 and the denon e300 goes on sale for ~$200. definitely the best bang for your buck under $400 and you can upgrade stuff later on easily

cyde
05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
yes. it will be setup around the room.

shes not an audiophile by any means but she wants something loud and decent. she really likes 3d movies and wants the immersion of a full surround setup. obviously don't expect the most amazing sounding thing ever, but something that will be loud and at least somewhat quality sounding during movies/gaming/music.she has a soundbar already and it doesn't cut it. like i said i'm not looking to buy any parts, something complete in a box. not an investment, just a one stop shop type of deal. i'll save the real audio build for when we move in together and i set up something in the living room for myself. this will be for her bedroom, a pretty large room at that. the 7.1 i posted in the OP is looking like my best bet. a home theater in a box is right up her alley.

more so i am looking for advice on a good theater in a box setup, rather then what bookshelves and stuff to buy. this is budget stuff for my GF bros, i don't need super high end stuff, but i would like the receiver to be able to carry on if i ever do decide to use custom speakers on it.

Good deal right here, Opie. The receiver alone goes on sale for $200, and it's a decent entry level unit. Speakers aren't anything special, but it leaves room for future upgrades if she ever wants a better front stage since the receiver is very capable for HTiB.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendht1513ba/denon-dht-1513ba-home-theater-system-w/boston-acoustics-speakers/1.html#!specifications

freeburn
05-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Good deal right here, Opie. The receiver alone goes on sale for $200, and it's a decent entry level unit. Speakers aren't anything special, but it leaves room for future upgrades if she ever wants a better front stage since the receiver is very capable for HTiB.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendht1513ba/denon-dht-1513ba-home-theater-system-w/boston-acoustics-speakers/1.html#!specifications

pretty much exactly what i'm looking for really. think this is better then the links in my OP?

is this site legit?

lsiberian
05-01-2014, 09:59 PM
What you want really doesn't exist. Unfortunately you get crap receivers in HTIB packages, the Denon DHT-1513BA isn't too bad. Of course you can't even get a good sub with your budget so I'm betting the setup listed will work. In the future I wouldn't plan on using it as a receiver.

cyde
05-01-2014, 10:03 PM
pretty much exactly what i'm looking for really. think this is better then the links in my OP?

is this site legit? the same **** on amazon is like 500 bucks

accessories4less is legit. They mostly deal with refurbished, b-stock, and old stock that didn't sell in the big box stores. You'll probably have to pay $20 for shipping, but it's still a good price. Comes with a limited warranty too from Denon. They get several referrals from AVSforum, HomeTheaterShack, etc. That's how I found out about the site. And yes the receiver is much better than the Onkyo you posted, and the speakers are slightly better.

You'll probably have to buy a spool of speaker cable from Monoprice. Not sure if it comes with the kit. 16 gauge should do the trick unless you need to make long runs for the surrounds.

freeburn
05-01-2014, 10:16 PM
accessories4less is legit. They mostly deal with refurbished, b-stock, and old stock that didn't sell in the big box stores. You'll probably have to pay $20 for shipping, but it's still a good price. Comes with a limited warranty too from Denon. They get several referrals from AVSforum, HomeTheaterShack, etc. That's how I found out about the site. And yes the receiver is much better than the Onkyo you posted, and the speakers are slightly better.

You'll probably have to buy a spool of speaker cable from Monoprice. Not sure if it comes with the kit. 16 gauge should do the trick unless you need to make long runs for the surrounds.

sick man i think i am going to order this soon thanks

GinoFelino
05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
sick man i think i am going to order this soon thanks

2nd that they're legit. I got mine refurbished from them and it came packaged and looked like new.

matthall2011
05-02-2014, 12:35 AM

It's a solid set, I bought the same thing for my girlfriend