PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of AVG 2014?

05-01-2014, 11:50 AM
AVG isn't letting me run Filezilla, and when I use the control panel to uninstall it I get a message saying it stopped working. Is there any other way, other than a system format, to get rid of this?

eXistenceLies
05-01-2014, 12:10 PM
You should be able to run anything you want. You just have to allow it in AVG. Did you accidentally block Filezilla? If so you just need to go to your block list and remove it and allow Filezilla. I have never had a problem with AVG. Been using it for almost a decade.

05-01-2014, 12:16 PM
You should be able to run anything you want. You just have to allow it in AVG. Did you accidentally block Filezilla? If so you just need to go to your block list and remove it and allow Filezilla. I have never had a problem with AVG. Been using it for almost a decade.

AVG wouldn't even allow me to install it. Haven't played around with the settings though, so I'll try to dig deeper.

LordBroski
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Disable AVG in startup/msconfig
Reboot
Use a program like Revo Uninstaller
Uninstall AVG

anoobbuilder
05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
You could try running in safe mode and uninstalling from there. That works for getting rid of virus's too that hide in background

mackd
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Add the path of the FileZilla exe to the exception list in AVG

This. If you have any problems just temporarily disable AVG to install FileZilla/change anything etc.
Also try running FileZilla as administrator.

I recently switched (6+ months ago) from AVG to Avast antivirus, i have to say i highly recommend it. I've used AVG for as long as i can remember (10+years) but i feel Avast is superior in some ways.
I was using a program called connectify, to basically turn my wired computer into a wireless hotspot. It would constantly drop out, i'd have to restart the program etc and couldn't figure out why. It was AVG blocking the connection.
Installed Avast, same problem, though with Avast i could disable a specific component which caused the problems, whereas in AVG you couldn't.
Avast also has an awesome preboot scan, basicvally same as a safe mode scan with AVG, though more convenient.