PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S4 Screen Replacement (15k)

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
The part I'm looking at is $160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Screen-Digitizer-LCD-Assembly-Housing-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-L720-i545-White-/271442818916?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_To ols&hash=item3f3340b764

The GSM versions are $20ish cheaper. ANyone know if they are interchangeable?

GloboRick
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Get the version specific to your carrier for sure, there are small variations in each type usually. S4's are VERY simple to break down, if you need any help just post here. I have broken down and fixed two of mine, both from water dmg. I use at&t atm.
What carrier is your phone for?

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Get the version specific to your carrier for sure, there are small variations in each type usually. S4's are VERY simple to break down, if you need any help just post here. I have broken down and fixed two of mine, both from water dmg. I use at&t atm.
What carrier is your phone for?

It's verizon. I see the listing is for both VZW and sprint though

GloboRick
04-29-2014, 05:41 PM
They both use the same type of network. In that case the screen would work on either. I am double checking right now though.

Ok, just make sure your phone says i545 under the rear panel in the battery area. Looks like the sprint and verizon use the same one.

InstantLoser
04-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Have you checked Craigslist for broken GS4's you could hock the screen from? Could save some $$$.

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Have you checked Craigslist for broken GS4's you could hock the screen from? Could save some $$$.

I haven't, but I'd imagine nearly all broken S4's are broken screens lol, and wouldnt trust a waterlogged phone to have a useful screen. How else could they break really?

GloboRick
04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Heres a good priced one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Replacement-For-SamSung-Galaxy-S4-SCH-i545-Verizon-/351038887944?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_To ols&hash=item51bb8c5808

How did you mess the screen up btw? They are nearly unbreakable besides water dmg.

InstantLoser
04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
I haven't, but I'd imagine nearly all broken S4's are broken screens lol, and wouldnt trust a waterlogged phone to have a useful screen. How else could they break really?

Eh, I guess for the most part you're probably right. Still if you could get one with a bad mainboard (even if due to water damage) for like $20.. probably worth the risk.

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Eh, I guess for the most part you're probably right. Still if you could get one with a bad mainboard (even if due to water damage) for like $20.. probably worth the risk.

I'll take a look, I'm not the patient type though. Thought about phones with bad ESN/IEMI's too but theyre even more costly for some retarded reason. I guess an extra battery is good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-16GB-SPH-L720-Frost-White-NO-IMEI-BAD-IMEI-/181392308713?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2a3bd2f9e9

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Heres a good priced one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Replacement-For-SamSung-Galaxy-S4-SCH-i545-Verizon-/351038887944?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_To ols&hash=item51bb8c5808

How did you mess the screen up btw? They are nearly unbreakable besides water dmg.

fell on the floor which cracked the glass. but I guess this weakened the structure and had it in my back pocket when sitting down and it cracked the lcd

considering thousands of these assemblies have been purchased, not so unbreakable lol. my s3 also has cracked glass

edit: If you look at the back of that, it doesn;t have the assembly. is difficult to place the phone assembly in?

GloboRick
04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Oh, might be able to save you some money. Does your touch screen still work?
Its all fairly easy to replace, will save you more money on parts you can reuse from your broke phone though.
If your digitalizer/touch screen is still functional you can just buy the new glass for like $5.

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh, might be able to save you some money. Does your touch screen still work?
Its all fairly easy to replace, will save you more money on parts you can reuse from your broke phone though.
If your digitalizer/touch screen is still functional you can just buy the new glass for like $5.

no, if it were just the glass Id live with it. only top quarter inch of the display shows anything, cant even unlock my phone. funnily enough it shows a text and I'll never know what it said until I fix it lol.

GloboRick
04-29-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm sure you know how to search just fine but heres a video that might help since it may show you visually the whole process of replacing.
esMHMjs0kXE

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm sure you know how to search just fine but heres a video that might help since it may show you visually the whole process of replacing.
esMHMjs0kXE

I watched some of it, the screen by itself seems like a major pain in the ass, so I think I'll just buy the entire screen assembly.

gregr507
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I have a cracked S4 too, however the screen still seems to be working fine. Is it easy/cheap to replace just the glass?

MiscMathematician
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I have a cracked S4 too, however the screen still seems to be working fine. Is it easy/cheap to replace just the glass?

not very easy, watch the above video from about 14ish minutes. it takes a lot of time and patience, and even with that he still broke the digitizer. it is cheap ($10 for glass and tools) but seeing how delicate it is, you need to be a surgeon to do it right

GloboRick
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Go to harbor freight, buy the smallest autobody suction cup for like $3, buy a heat gun for $19.99, s4 glass for $5 off ebay. Its really not that hard, those guys were not patient and sloppy but the point was just to give you a idea of the process i suppose.

MiscMathematician
05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
ended up buying this today. will fix phone this weekend

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151290756793

MiscMathematician
05-10-2014, 08:15 AM
anyone know if an eyeglasses repair kit screw driver will work with the galaxy s4 screws? i dont have the right size screw driver

notsostrong
05-10-2014, 09:43 AM
<--owns a phone repair shop

if only the glass is cracked and the lcd and digitizer still work then you can separate the glass from the lcd and do a glass only replacement. it's a little tricky but is definitely doable. and the glass only is like $5. you'll need a hot air gun, and a carpenter's knife for this. it's best to put loca between the lcd and the new glass but it'll work just fin without it.

if you're going to buy the lcd and the frame preassembled then you need to buy the one that matched your model number. if you have an i9500 then you need to buy a screen+frame assembly for an i9500. if you buy a screen+frame assembly for an i337 and you have an i9500 then your logic board will not fit the frame.

you can find the model number of your phone by taking the back cover off, removing the battery, and reading the little white sticker on the frame under the battery.

if you are buying only the screen (no frame) then you can use any screen no matter what model version it says. the screens are all the exact same across all models of S4. It's the frames that are different and have different mounting points for the logic board.

the galaxy S4 used small phillips screws. any small phillips screw driver will do the job (like form a hobby kit). you might need a guitar pick to get the back frame of the S4 off but you can also do it if you have strong finger nails.

MiscMathematician
05-10-2014, 09:50 AM
<--owns a phone repair shop

if only the glass is cracked and the lcd and digitizer still work then you can separate the glass from the lcd and do a glass only replacement. it's a little tricky but is definitely doable. and the glass only is like $5. you'll need a hot air gun, and a carpenter's knife for this. it's best to put loca between the lcd and the new glass but it'll work just fin without it.

if you're going to buy the lcd and the frame preassembled then you need to buy the one that matched your model number. if you have an i9500 then you need to buy a screen+frame assembly for an i9500. if you buy a screen+frame assembly for an i337 and you have an i9500 then your logic board will not fit the frame.

you can find the model number of your phone by taking the back cover off, removing the battery, and reading the little white sticker on the frame under the battery.

if you are buying only the screen (no frame) then you can use any screen no matter what model version it says. the screens are all the exact same across all models of S4. It's the frames that are different and have different mounting points for the logic board.

the galaxy S4 used small phillips screws. any small phillips screw driver will do the job (like form a hobby kit). you might need a guitar pick to get the back frame of the S4 off but you can also do it if you have strong finger nails.

already got the frame and everything, thanks anyway. my smallest philips head will not work with the screws. ill need to go to home depot i guess. i used to take phones apart all the time before the smartphone era but no screws were ever THIS small

MiscMathematician
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
went to home depot showed guy in tools section the screw. he was like "no way man, way too tiny try an electrics store". bought smallest precision set I found anyway and it had just what I needed. philips size #000 and #00 both work, not sure which one is correct though

anyway, replaced my screen and my s4 is like brand new again, so happy. took about 40 mins and I went slow

seanb1979
05-10-2014, 02:32 PM
my s4 is annoying me... wifi doesnt seem to work with any ROM other than stock and it randomly drops the sim card... made it a bit thicker with some tape... at least a new sim slot is only 10 bucks on ebay.. gonna get a htc next time

MiscMathematician
05-10-2014, 03:41 PM
my s4 is annoying me... wifi doesnt seem to work with any ROM other than stock and it randomly drops the sim card... made it a bit thicker with some tape... at least a new sim slot is only 10 bucks on ebay.. gonna get a htc next time

no need for anything other than stock ROM, phone is fast as hell never lags, no issues with touchwiz. s4 is still GOAT, havent wanted an HTC since the thunderbolt which turned out a major piece of sheit.