PDA

View Full Version : (With Pic) From 224lbs to 168lbs - But still have a flabby stomach/gut and chest.

Brinko54
04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
From 224lbs to 168lbs - But still have a flabby stomach/gut and chest.

(Pic At Bottom)

Hey! Im going to keep this short and sweet.
Im 18, about 5'10 and I went from 224lbs being fat, to 168lbs.

I have been weight training through the whole transformation, so my arms, legs, shoulders, back and nearly all my other muscle groups are looking pretty good, not big, but not small and un-noticeable, let's just say im feeling more proud about myself, as im starting to look pretty lean (not being vain)

But my only concern is my stomach/belly area, and my chest area. They were much bigger before, but after loosing 56lbs, and being at a healthy weight for once in my life would it be too much to expect they should of been nearly gone?

The only thing I am self-concious about is taking my top off, not so much now, but my question is.

How to I get rid of this excess? Would it logical to keep loosing weight until I have a flat stomach or what?

My main goal is to not get huge, but to have a six pack, and have a beach body.

ANY Help is appreciated, just need so recognition.

Thanks guys and girls! Have a great day.

ritchiedrama
04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
To lose the fat, yes you'd have to keep dieting - but you are lacking muscle mass - so eating at maintenance, or just slightly abovee, and training heavy - you will add some much needed mass and this will allow you to cut down to a lower bodyfat while not looking like you've been in a concentration camp.

Brinko54
04-29-2014, 03:23 PM
To lose the fat, yes you'd have to keep dieting - but you are lacking muscle mass - so eating at maintenance, or just slightly abovee, and training heavy - you will add some much needed mass and this will allow you to cut down to a lower bodyfat while not looking like you've been in a concentration camp.

Would you call my current situation "Skinny Fat"?
Forgive me for being a noob on the subject, but by eating, say 200 calories above maintenance or even at maintenance, whiles weight training (like you suggest) that would help me flatten my stomach, and gain muscle at the same time?

Just the idea of eating to gain, after I lost a fair amount seems confusing. But I appreciate your reply, none the less!!

camdensdaddy
04-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Would you call my current situation "Skinny Fat"?
Forgive me for being a noob on the subject, but by eating, say 200 calories above maintenance or even at maintenance, whiles weight training (like you suggest) that would help me flatten my stomach, and gain muscle at the same time?

Just the idea of eating to gain, after I lost a fair amount seems confusing. But I appreciate your reply, none the less!!

The body requires an energy surplus to gain muscle and an energy deficit to lose fat. So losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time are at odds with each other. The exceptions to this rule are for drug users and noobs just starting to lift. As you've been lifting for a few months your noob gains are gone so you'll have to pick one or the other.

Choosing to put on muscle now will add muscle as well as fat that you will have to take off again later; however, a slight surplus will help ensure that most of the gain is muscle. You will likely look better b/c there will be more muscle.

Choosing to continue cutting now will remove fat, but may leave you looking pretty scrawny as you don't have much a base under the fat...think about what a marathon runner looks like...the advantage to this though is that it is does give you more room to bulk later.

Ultimately it's up to you what you want to do...there's no right or wrong answer...it's what's more important to you.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 04:11 AM
The body requires an energy surplus to gain muscle and an energy deficit to lose fat. So losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time are at odds with each other. The exceptions to this rule are for drug users and noobs just starting to lift. As you've been lifting for a few months your noob gains are gone so you'll have to pick one or the other.

Choosing to put on muscle now will add muscle as well as fat that you will have to take off again later; however, a slight surplus will help ensure that most of the gain is muscle. You will likely look better b/c there will be more muscle.

Choosing to continue cutting now will remove fat, but may leave you looking pretty scrawny as you don't have much a base under the fat...think about what a marathon runner looks like...the advantage to this though is that it is does give you more room to bulk later.

Ultimately it's up to you what you want to do...there's no right or wrong answer...it's what's more important to you.

Thanks for your reply! My current situation is that I have a holiday at the end of June, so basically I want to be good for that. Not too fat, not too thin. Like you said, if I bulk now, I will add more fat. So I really am stuck to what to do.

Do you think it will be best to eat just under maintenance (BMR).?

Thanks for your reply though.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 05:43 AM
BMR isn't maintenance, it's your metabolic rate.

Do you have any better pics? As in, ones where you are facing the camera? I know what you are trying to do, but I can't really tell if you have the base to keep cutting or not.

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks for your reply! My current situation is that I have a holiday at the end of June, so basically I want to be good for that. Not too fat, not too thin. Like you said, if I bulk now, I will add more fat. So I really am stuck to what to do.

Do you think it will be best to eat just under maintenance (BMR).?

Thanks for your reply though.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate...it's how many calories you burn basically laying on the couch watching TV all day. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure...it's how many calories you burn a day with all activity including formal and non-formal exercise. Eating at maintenance means your calorie input is the same as your TDEE. This will make sure you don't gain any fat, but isn't going to remove any fat either. You'll literally be maintaining what you have now. It's up to you. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer. Continue to lift and be mindful of what you're eating and you should be alright no matter what. You'll figure out what's best for you eventually.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 05:58 AM
BMR isn't maintenance, it's your metabolic rate.

Do you have any better pics? As in, ones where you are facing the camera? I know what you are trying to do, but I can't really tell if you have the base to keep cutting or not.

Just added a picture facing the camera to the first post. But i'll attach it hear to make it easier for you.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
BMR is your basal metabolic rate...it's how many calories you burn basically laying on the couch watching TV all day. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure...it's how many calories you burn a day with all activity including formal and non-formal exercise. Eating at maintenance means your calorie input is the same as your TDEE. This will make sure you don't gain any fat, but isn't going to remove any fat either. You'll literally be maintaining what you have now. It's up to you. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer. Continue to lift and be mindful of what you're eating and you should be alright no matter what. You'll figure out what's best for you eventually.

Also, thank you for your reply. Just always a hard decision to think about putting on weight, after I have spent months loosing it.

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Also, thank you for your reply. Just always a hard decision to think about putting on weight, after I have spent months loosing it.

Keep this in mind...I'm two inches shorter than you and at one point weighed more than you at 224. My avatar is after my SECOND cut. It's far from where I want to end up, but as you can see fat loss is not much of a problem once you get the lifting and diet down.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 06:10 AM
Keep this in mind...I'm two inches shorter than you and at one point weighed more than you at 224. My avatar is after my SECOND cut. It's far from where I want to end up, but as you can see fat loss is not much of a problem once you get the lifting and diet down.

Looks like you done a great job! Well done man! Very impressed. And that fat loss is not the problem for me any-more. I used to find it difficult but it has become a routeen now so im used to it.

But as stated before, my only issue now is that I have a holiday in 2 months, and want to be presentable for that. So I feel comfortable with my shirt off. So even with all this helpful information I don't know weather to keep doing as I am doing, or gain. Because I have a feeling that if I lean bulk, I will some how put on too much fat, and become fatter, at a noticeable rate.

You know what I mean?

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Just added a picture facing the camera to the first post. But i'll attach it hear to make it easier for you.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you need to start a slow bulk... and I mean a controlled slow bulk for at least 6 months, if not more before you decide to cut again. If you eat at a slight surplus and lift HARD.. you can put some decent muscle on and fill out what you have.. I know the stomach pouch drives you nuts, but you have to look at the LONG TERM goal. And packing on muscle and gaining a bit of fat is a lot different than what you did before... increasing LBM fills you out better and shapes you.. so that pouch won't even be noticeable if you do it right.

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 06:17 AM
Looks like you done a great job! Well done man! Very impressed. And that fat loss is not the problem for me any-more. I used to find it difficult but it has become a routeen now so im used to it.

But as stated before, my only issue now is that I have a holiday in 2 months, and want to be presentable for that. So I feel comfortable with my shirt off. So even with all this helpful information I don't know weather to keep doing as I am doing, or gain. Because I have a feeling that if I lean bulk, I will some how put on too much fat, and become fatter, at a noticeable rate.

You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I said you've got to make the choice. There's always going to be something.

lee__d
04-30-2014, 06:22 AM
I know it's not what you want to hear, but you need to start a slow bulk... and I mean a controlled slow bulk for at least 6 months, if not more before you decide to cut again. If you eat at a slight surplus and lift HARD.. you can put some decent muscle on and fill out what you have.. I know the stomach pouch drives you nuts, but you have to look at the LONG TERM goal. And packing on muscle and gaining a bit of fat is a lot different than what you did before... increasing LBM fills you out better and shapes you.. so that pouch won't even be noticeable if you do it right.

I agree, time to add some mass.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 06:25 AM
I agree, time to add some mass.

You are right, it does drive me nut! But I suppose if it helps me out, it sounds like the better option. Now in your opinion if I do it right, where do you think I could be in 2 months?

I shall be hitting the gym 5 days a week. And lifting heavy! (Currently going 5 days a week anyway)

Also something I don't really understand is how many calories I need to eat to for a slow bulk? (My BMR is about 1780)
And with that, would I gain a noticeable amount of fat? (within 2 months) and even past that?

Im a n00b to this, and all these replies are really helping.

andrewlef
04-30-2014, 07:07 AM

I agree. It takes a long time to get rid of the last of the belly fat. It's taken me years to get to a point where mine is nearly gone.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Now in your opinion if I do it right, where do you think I could be in 2 months?
Also something I don't really understand is how many calories I need to eat to for a slow bulk? (My BMR is about 1780)
And with that, would I gain a noticeable amount of fat? (within 2 months) and even past that?

1. In 2 months you could gain about 4 pounds of muscle.. but again, stop looking at short term, quit worrying about this summer, and look ahead. If you keep focusing on this summer, this fall, this spring, etc.. you'll spin your wheels from cutting/bulking in such short periods.

2. You lost a decent amount of weight right? How many cals a day were you eating? And how much weight per week were you losing on average?

3. If you do a proper slow bulk, you won't gain much fat at all.. But again... stop worrying about a bit of fat gain.. if you freak out everytime a vein covers up or you notice more fat, you'll probably end up not eating enough and spin your wheels..

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 07:44 AM
1. In 2 months you could gain about 4 pounds of muscle.. but again, stop looking at short term, quit worrying about this summer, and look ahead. If you keep focusing on this summer, this fall, this spring, etc.. you'll spin your wheels from cutting/bulking in such short periods.

2. You lost a decent amount of weight right? How many cals a day were you eating? And how much weight per week were you losing on average?

3. If you do a proper slow bulk, you won't gain much fat at all.. But again... stop worrying about a bit of fat gain.. if you freak out everytime a vein covers up or you notice more fat, you'll probably end up not eating enough and spin your wheels..

1. Thats great advice, looking ahead does seem more logical. Will start looking more long term.

2. I'm currently eating about 1500 - 1700 calories a day, this normally consists of breakfast, lunch and dinner, then maybe a nature valley bar, or something similar. And I am loosing about 2lbs a week. Some weeks would be different so I can honestly say anywhere from 1 - 3lbs a week.

3. I agree, I do need to stop worrying, after a few weeks of doing it, I shall adapt and get into a routeen I should think.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 08:24 AM
1. Thats great advice, looking ahead does seem more logical. Will start looking more long term.

2. I'm currently eating about 1500 - 1700 calories a day, this normally consists of breakfast, lunch and dinner, then maybe a nature valley bar, or something similar. And I am loosing about 2lbs a week. Some weeks would be different so I can honestly say anywhere from 1 - 3lbs a week.

3. I agree, I do need to stop worrying, after a few weeks of doing it, I shall adapt and get into a routeen I should think.

At this point, if you are REALLY eating 1500-1700 cals.. start eating at 2700 every single day for the next 3 weeks.. weigh in once a week, see what happens. You have to realize you WILL gain water weight, and you WILL see the scale go up.. DON"T FREAK OUT.. it's normal. Give yourself a good 2 weeks for your body to regulate and then come back with the results. From there you can figure your TDEE and start the process.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
At this point, if you are REALLY eating 1500-1700 cals.. start eating at 2700 every single day for the next 3 weeks.. weigh in once a week, see what happens. You have to realize you WILL gain water weight, and you WILL see the scale go up.. DON"T FREAK OUT.. it's normal. Give yourself a good 2 weeks for your body to regulate and then come back with the results. From there you can figure your TDEE and start the process.

I was afraid you would say 2700 calories daily at this time haha.
I don't know is this is a dumb question or not, but what would happen if I upped my calories to say 2000 a day?

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
I was afraid you would say 2700 calories daily at this time haha.
I don't know is this is a dumb question or not, but what would happen if I upped my calories to say 2000 a day?

If you are truly eating 1500-1700, and you truly are in a 1000 to 1000+ calorie deficit every day... then you would just continue to drop bodyfat, just at a slower pace. But if you are trying to put on muscle, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
If you are truly eating 1500-1700, and you truly are in a 1000 to 1000+ calorie deficit every day... then you would just continue to drop bodyfat, just at a slower pace. But if you are trying to put on muscle, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Yeah I am, been using myfitnesspal every day. When I started using that, I just plumbed all the info in to help me loose 2lbs a week, and it came out with about 2000 calories, but I have been loose on those, as I have been going under that by a few hundred. And still loosing the same amount, if that makes sense?

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 09:01 AM
All I can say is, start eating 2700 cals and trust your body and your tracking skills... if you are lifting properly and eating properly you will get your gains

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
All I can say is, start eating 2700 cals and trust your body and your tracking skills... if you are lifting properly and eating properly you will get your gains

Thanks for the help man, much appreciated.

Final Question. Where did you get 2700 calories/day from?

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the help man, much appreciated.

Final Question. Where did you get 2700 calories/day from?

It's 1000 calories above where you're eating now. If you're losing ~2lbs. a week now that should be around maintenance; however, going straight from a strong deficit into a surplus can sometimes lead to faster fat gain. Jumping up to maintenance first instead of a surplus will give your body time to acclimate to the higher intake...don't be surprised if you have to up the calories some more...assuming you are losing ~2 lbs. a week on 1700.

You want to aim for about 1/2 lb. a week weight gain while you're bulking to minimize fat gain and maximize muscle gain...that means you'll need a 250 calorie surplus...2700 is fairly safe place to start to make adjustments from.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
It's 1000 calories above where you're eating now. If you're losing ~2lbs. a week now that should be around maintenance; however, going straight from a strong deficit into a surplus can sometimes lead to faster fat gain. Jumping up to maintenance first instead of a surplus will give your body time to acclimate to the higher intake...don't be surprised if you have to up the calories some more...assuming you are losing ~2 lbs. a week on 1700.

I was loosing 2lbs a week on 1500-1700 but not it's down to about 1lbs a week. If im not mistaken. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm really considering just eating more than I am now, so the deficit is less, up until my holiday, then after I can eat more and more.
That probably sounds very stupid. haha.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
I was loosing 2lbs a week on 1500-1700 but not it's down to about 1lbs a week. If im not mistaken. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm really considering just eating more than I am now, so the deficit is less, up until my holiday, then after I can eat more and more.
That probably sounds very stupid. haha.

The leaner you get, the harder it is to lose weight. If you were losing 2LBs a week on 1500-1700, then start eating at 2700.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
The leaner you get, the harder it is to lose weight. If you were losing 2LBs a week on 1500-1700, then start eating at 2700.

I started to loose about 1lbs not 2lbs a week eating 1500-1700, so would 2700 still apply?
(Sorry if that was un-clear)

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I started to loose about 1lbs not 2lbs a week eating 1500-1700, so would 2700 still apply?

If you're lifting 5x a week then I would say...yes...start at 2700. Watch your weight for a few weeks and if after 3 or 4 weeks you're gaining more than about 1/2 lb a week then reduce. If you're not gaining then add. Make sure you give it at least three weeks though as there will be some initial water weight gain. Do not confuse this with fat gain.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 09:55 AM

Yes, 2700 would still apply.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
If you're lifting 5x a week then I would say...yes...start at 2700. Watch your weight for a few weeks and if after 3 or 4 weeks you're gaining more than about 1/2 lb a week then reduce. If you're not gaining then add. Make sure you give it at least three weeks though as there will be some initial water weight gain. Do not confuse this with fat gain.

Cheers! Might consider this.
But me being me, might do this after my holiday, as correct me if im wrong, the only difference I will see in 2 months (2 months till my holiday) is probably weight gain, and not much muscle??

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Yes, 2700 would still apply.

Also thank you for the help. Will strongly consider this after holiday, if not before.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Cheers! Might consider this.
But me being me, might do this after my holiday, as correct me if im wrong, the only difference I will see in 2 months (2 months till my holiday) is probably weight gain, and not much muscle??

You are wrong.. with your physique, if you hit the weights hard and ate properly, you will def. see muscle gain/shape gain. You may even experience noob gains of fat loss and muscle growth.

ChrisVigor
04-30-2014, 10:06 AM
A little colour will help appearance

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
You are wrong.. with your physique, if you hit the weights hard and ate properly, you will def. see muscle gain/shape gain. You may even experience noob gains of fat loss and muscle growth.

I'm soo tempted to just suck it up and do this. Or at-least for the 3 weeks to see what happens.

n0useforaname
04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm soo tempted to just suck it up and do this. Or at-least for the 3 weeks to see what happens.

Only thing I can tell you is, you just have to do it... not think about it, not worry about fat gain, not worry about the scale, and just hit the weights hard. I credit my physique to the years I just ate big and lifted big.. then when I cut, I had muscle mass to show. I grew up lifting with guys who freaked out at the sight of bodyfat or that last vein going away.. I never cared. And in short, they look the same, I gained like 20+ pounds of muscle. How bad do you want your goal physique? Now you obviously don't need to put on unwanted fat, but to think you will cut to a flat stomach and abs, and then gain crazy muscle and still keep your abs... good luck with that.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Only thing I can tell you is, you just have to do it... not think about it, not worry about fat gain, not worry about the scale, and just hit the weights hard. I credit my physique to the years I just ate big and lifted big.. then when I cut, I had muscle mass to show. I grew up lifting with guys who freaked out at the sight of bodyfat or that last vein going away.. I never cared. And in short, they look the same, I gained like 20+ pounds of muscle. How bad do you want your goal physique? Now you obviously don't need to put on unwanted fat, but to think you will cut to a flat stomach and abs, and then gain crazy muscle and still keep your abs... good luck with that.

Yeah I totally understand, and what im about to say may sound completely stupid, and completely dumb, im even embarrassed to say it. But the reason why I am stressing so much about gaining weight, is not because I will get big again, I know if I stick to it I will get big, the cut and have mass to show. But im unemployed at the moment, spent alot of money on my holiday, and also here is the dumb part, a fair amount of money on clothes specifically for my holiday. So the only thing that is keeping me stressing about this is whether or not I will fit into these clothes when it's time for my holiday, as they are a perfect fit now, but with a few lbs they might now be. I know it's dumb.

But after my holiday, I will be more than happy to do a slow bulk and keep going from there.
You know what I mean? And how dumb is that haha!?

camdensdaddy
04-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I totally understand, and what im about to say may sound completely stupid, and completely dumb, im even embarrassed to say it. But the reason why I am stressing so much about gaining weight, is not because I will get big again, I know if I stick to it I will get big, the cut and have mass to show. But im unemployed at the moment, spent alot of money on my holiday, and also here is the dumb part, a fair amount of money on clothes specifically for my holiday. So the only thing that is keeping me stressing about this is whether or not I will fit into these clothes when it's time for my holiday, as they are a perfect fit now, but with a few lbs they might now be. I know it's dumb.

But after my holiday, I will be more than happy to do a slow bulk and keep going from there.

I've put on 30 pounds this year while bulking, including some fat, and still fit into the same clothes I wore last summer. You're not going to outgrow your clothes in two months as long as you hit the weights and don't go crazy with the calories.

Brinko54
04-30-2014, 11:30 AM
I've put on 30 pounds this year while bulking, including some fat, and still fit into the same clothes I wore last summer. You're not going to outgrow your clothes in two months as long as you hit the weights and don't go crazy with the calories.

Fair enough man! I just started to fit into this size, so im not too sure. I think im just going to increase my calories so im still eating in a deficit but a smaller one, so the weight loss is less, and then once I come back, get ready for the next holiday by going full on with nutrition and fitness!

bemdublluv
04-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Id bulk

n0useforaname
05-01-2014, 05:08 AM

It's not dumb.. I actually have jeans in my dresser that go from 31, 32, 34, 36, 38, and 40 inch waists. I tend to fluctuate A LOT in weight (not recently but in the past).. and clothes are not cheap. You just have to decide what your goals are and how bad you want them.

Brinko54
05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
It's not dumb.. I actually have jeans in my dresser that go from 31, 32, 34, 36, 38, and 40 inch waists. I tend to fluctuate A LOT in weight (not recently but in the past).. and clothes are not cheap. You just have to decide what your goals are and how bad you want them.

I agree with you 100% and would also like to thank you for all the help you have gave me. Will really help me in the future, but I have decided to start once I get back from my Holiday, which I feel is best for me. Thanks again man! :) :)

billybombarden
05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
I agree with you 100% and would also like to thank you for all the help you have gave me. Will really help me in the future, but I have decided to start once I get back from my Holiday, which I feel is best for me. Thanks again man! :) :)

Congrats on the weight-loss man, i am curious, I am at a similar weight (220lbs) and am wondering how much cardio you did weekly to lose the weight, or was it just weight training and how long did it take to lose the weight?

Brinko54
05-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the weight-loss man, i am curious, I am at a similar weight (220lbs) and am wondering how much cardio you did weekly to lose the weight, or was it just weight training and how long did it take to lose the weight?

I started off doing cardio, that was just a month. But I didnt feel like that was my best decision.

So basically I went into weight training with cardio. My cardio consisted of 15 minutes before weight training, and then 15 minutes after. This is where I lost the most of my weight. (I followed "Kris Gethin 12 Week Trainer" Just for the workouts, done my own cardio and also did not do the nutrition he suggested, I had my own thing going on.)

Thanks man!

Once I finished that, I had a good knowledge of what to do for each muscle group and so on. So I constructed my own workout routeen that consists of 2 days training, then 1 day off.

And I think I started early September 2013.

With the right nutrition, training and discipline you will do well! Good luck man. :) :)