PDA

View Full Version : There is NO WAY Robert Sterling is forced to give up the Clippers.

ProtonShake
04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Private speech IS protected under the 1st amendment. I do believe, however, he will sell the team on HIS OWN ACCORD.

KBaller33
04-29-2014, 08:48 AM
No matter what the clippers are fukked as long as he's the owner. No free agents coming their way.

ProtonShake
04-29-2014, 08:49 AM
No matter what the clippers are fukked as long as he's the owner. No free agents coming their way.

That's why he will resign. He would be losing money if he stayed as the owner.

Aesthetical
04-29-2014, 08:51 AM
That's why he will resign. He would be losing money if he stayed as the owner.

He's 81 and filthy rich, i doubt he even cares if he loses anything related to the clips.

Future24
04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
No matter what the clippers are fukked as long as he's the owner. No free agents coming their way.Doc Rivers knew he was a racist. Why did he still come to the Klippers?

pedobearu_aware
04-29-2014, 08:55 AM
http://sgma.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/arnold_robert_sterling.jpg

BeastModeFTW
04-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Yes there is. Its called the nuclear option if 3/4's of the owners choose to vote him out then Sterling's out. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-nba-could-deliver-knockout-blow-to-donald-sterling-093958859.html

NeoKantian
04-29-2014, 08:58 AM
They are going to suspend him indefinitely until the team is sold.

Future24
04-29-2014, 08:59 AM
They are going to suspend him indefinitely until the team is sold.Why does he care? He still gets paid.

amikaelmorris
04-29-2014, 09:01 AM
who's robert sterling? did donald already get ousted?

jbball92
04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
He's 81 and filthy rich, i doubt he even cares if he loses anything related to the clips.
lol ya, he bought the Clips for $12 mil, theyre now worth $575 mil

NeoKantian
04-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Why does he care? He still gets paid.
I agree. However, I don't think any other owner would vote him out because they think it could be used against them perhaps in the future. I think Mark Cuban made this point or something along those lines (can't remember).

While it's very weird to have an owner that has a kind of neo-plantation mentality...I think the behind the scene talks are something like, "Ok...we'll suspend you...but you have to sell it ASAP, that way you get your money and the whole matter is taken care of."

BullStampede
04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
who's robert sterling? did donald already get ousted?

Donald Sterling's brother and Roger Sterling's dad.

LikeAMachine
04-29-2014, 09:46 AM
I'd bet half if not 2/3's of NBA owners feel the same way, this guy just had a whore girlfriend selling him out for profit.

srom12
04-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Inb4 magic Johnson executes trojan horse style high jack of franchise or elaborate plot to move the team to Seattle

jbball92
04-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Inb4 magic Johnson executes trojan horse style high jack of franchise or elaborate plot to move the team to Seattle
then they'd be the Seattle Johnsons

waytoodeep03
04-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Private speech IS protected under the 1st amendment. I do believe, however, he will sell the team on HIS OWN ACCORD.

Private speech is only protected against the federal government. The constitution protects you from the Government not anything else.
NBA is a privately owned company

Day1086
04-29-2014, 10:20 AM
I'd bet half if not 2/3's of NBA owners feel the same way, this guy just had a whore girlfriend selling him out for profit.

At least 3/5

RAdaRuggedMan
04-29-2014, 10:23 AM
ITT: Misunderstanding of 1st Amendment.

Phil9
04-29-2014, 10:25 AM
ITT: Misunderstanding of 1st Amendment.

Yup, this.

sn24
04-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Private speech is only protected against the federal government. The constitution protects you from the Government not anything else.
NBA is a privately owned company

This. If the NBA wasn't allowed to punish its employees for what they said, Mark Cuban would have never gotten fined a trillion bucks by Stern for criticizing refs

ugottabjoshinme
04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

1st amendment protects him from the government...so he won't get arrested. The NBA as a private entity can do whatever they want.

EDIT: I see Harry and the gang covered this already ^^

daPhats
04-29-2014, 10:42 AM
He's gonna make a killing on this. The Clippers are at their highest popularity level in decades so the team is worth a lot and is in demand. He'll ask for more than its worth simply because he can and people will be willing to pay more to get him out.

Otherwise he'll just get a slap on the wrist, keep the team, and everyone will have forgotten about this in 2 years. Back to business as usual.

NeoKantian
04-29-2014, 10:44 AM
This. If the NBA wasn't allowed to punish its employees for what they said, Mark Cuban would have never gotten fined a trillion bucks by Stern for criticizing refs
Yeah, the reason they fine him is because if every owner complained about the reffing of games it would undermine the integrity of the game.

RAdaRuggedMan
04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
He's gonna make a killing on this. The Clippers are at their highest popularity level in decades so the team is worth a lot and is in demand. He'll ask for more than its worth simply because he can and people will be willing to pay more to get him out.

Otherwise he'll just get a slap on the wrist, keep the team, and everyone will have forgotten about this in 2 years. Back to business as usual.
Negative. Skip said that on Mike & Mike, a legal analyst for ESPN read the NBA constitution and said that the other NBA owners can threaten termination of the team, which will in effect force Sterling to sell.

daPhats
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Negative. Skip said that on Mike & Mike, a legal analyst for ESPN read the NBA constitution and said that the other NBA owners can threaten termination of the team, which will in effect force Sterling to sell.

I'm sure it would be very messy. Trying to terminate a team would lead to years and years of appeals IMO. Or Sterling could sue the league for anti-trust violations. It's not as easy as everyone thinks.

jbball92
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
sounds like persecution to me

RAdaRuggedMan
04-29-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm sure it would be very messy. Trying to terminate a team would lead to years and years of appeals IMO. Or Sterling could sue the league for anti-trust violations. It's not as easy as everyone thinks.
ESPN guy said no chance Sterling could win this thing if taken to court.

daPhats
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM
ESPN guy said no chance Sterling could win this thing if taken to court.

Well if ESPN said it then it must be true.

From what I've read the NBA can only force the sale of a team for financial reasons, not because the owner is disliked.

I just see anything other than an indefinite suspension and/or huge fine turning into a giant can of worms.

Future24
04-29-2014, 11:08 AM
ESPN guy said no chance Sterling could win this thing if taken to court.ESPN lawyers also said Kobe was going to be guilty from what I remember.