PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to eat all fruit you want?

Astudio
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Is there any truth to the notion that you can eat all the fruit you want and not ruin your macros/etc?

It seems illogical given that we count every macro that something like a banana which has carbs/cals in decent numbers wouldn't count against me.

Just wanted to hear opinions.

InItForFitness
04-28-2014, 02:34 PM
No.

Gxp23
04-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Obviously not. Fruit contains calories and macros.

andre199017
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Just look up the stats of some fruit and you will see that it is not the case.

Some fruits are particularly high in sugars (e.g. Orange). An Apple on average has c.20 carbs (most of which sugar)...so just take a look :)

ChiBearsfan
04-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Is there any truth to the notion that you can eat all the fruit you want and not ruin your macros/etc?

It seems illogical given that we count every macro that something like a banana which has carbs/cals in decent numbers wouldn't count against me.

Just wanted to hear opinions.

That's a weight watchers thing. They have some crazy system of assigning points to foods instead of counting macros. Apparently counting calories is too difficult for the people who choose that diet.

They assign zero points to some fruits and vegetables.

In the real world, fruits have calories and carbs, and if you are composing your diet based on those you should count them.

seanfinn01
04-28-2014, 02:47 PM
wasn't there a thread here recently about excessive fruit intake being bad for health (like anything in excess)??

and you should count fruits, as mentioned, they, like all food, contain cals and macros.

Connor1226
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
I dislike diets that treat veggies and fruit like they are "free".
If you take the time to count the calories and macros in these foods, you will find you can easily go over caloric limitations with them. You can especially over do it in carbs and sugars with fruits.

If I ate all the fruit I wanted, I'd over do my carbs by 100g and over do my calories by 300-500 per day.
I love fruit.

accounts
04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Heard this at 7-11 today. Was this on oprah today

cumminslifter
04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
dr.oz says

yes

Opportuniteas1
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
No you can't eat whatever you want. You can eat a lot of fruit and have a very healthy diet.

If you add a bunch of sugary fruit on top of a diet that is already borderline then it could easily give you too many sugary carbs.

magician27
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
well you can only apply this to obese people wth horrible diet say if they are eating 5 donuts for snack and suddenly they start eating unlimited apples instead. they can probably not eat more than 2-3 anyway. so its a change towards better. but of course you can get fat only eating fruits and vegetables in theory too although its hard to do. Everything has certain energy value . it all boils down to your total energy intake at the end of the day. calories in everything counts.

Domicron
04-28-2014, 06:24 PM
people need to see the forest for the trees.

some nights i'll come home and eat a big bowl of fruit which has some apples, mango, maybe kiwi and/or strawberries. i can eat a decent amount. but when i measured and weighed it (one night i was curious, most nights i just sit down and start eating) i saw i was pretty close to that 50g fructose limit with that bowl of fruit alone (mangos are too damn delicious). do i think i should eat less fruit? absolutely not; i think i should try and cut down on my added processed sugar throughout the day.

just because something has benefits, doesn't mean it's good to go overboard. just because something can be bad for you, doesn't mean you need to avoid it completely

Former300lber
04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes, especially dried fruits...

not srs.

tara19
04-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Only if it's covered in chocolate.
Than you can eat all the fruit you want.

I wish.

WonderPug
04-28-2014, 10:45 PM
It's very sad that some people think that the names of the foods they eat are what matter rather than the actual nutrient content of the foods they eat.

ErikTheElectric
04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
No, believe it or not..fruit does have calories.

Connor1226
04-29-2014, 05:27 AM
... i saw i was pretty close to that 50g fructose limit with that bowl of fruit alone (mangos are too damn delicious). do i think i should eat less fruit? absolutely not; i think i should try and cut down on my added processed sugar throughout the day.

Very wise statement.

illiniStrive
04-29-2014, 05:34 AM
I dislike diets that treat veggies and fruit like they are "free".
If you take the time to count the calories and macros in these foods, you will find you can easily go over caloric limitations with them. You can especially over do it in carbs and sugars with fruits.

Agreed. People shudder at the thought of unlimited fruits yet won't count veggies due to fiber count... okay. If this is about someone just eating to stay at maintenance or bulking, than it's less of a problem but folks on a cut wonder why the scale won't move when a good portion of their diet goes untracked... :rolleyes:

devilbones
04-29-2014, 05:47 AM
If I eat 12 avocados I think I would be over my daily limits for cals.

ErikTheElectric
04-29-2014, 09:31 AM
If I eat 12 avocados I think I would be over my daily limits for cals.Avocados suck.

cumminslifter
04-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Avocados suck.negged

Gxp23
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Avocados suck.

How dare you.