PDA

View Full Version : Yard work, waterfall build, weekend.

polishedball
04-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Got my first sunburn of the year even though it was only in the 50's. Tore out all the front landscaping, bushes etc and am starting over.

Put in a pondless waterfall, pretty happy with how it turned out, esp for DIY. Buried a 100g stock tank, and am circulating the same water. Hopefully with no exposed pond algae won't be an issue.

sgIMel-zzhE

ajdahlheimer
04-28-2014, 06:12 AM
That thing is bad-ass! Good job.

frozensparky
04-28-2014, 07:22 AM
that's really cool

Guinea-pig
04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
WOW !!!

You've done a great job.

UnaChispita
04-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Love it!

What kind of landscaping are you going to put around it?

superman713
04-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Nice job! Looks great!

Why did you go with a 100g tank? Also if you throw some chlorine tabs in the reservoir tank algae shouldn't be an issue.

Big_Sky_Guy
04-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Well done!

polishedball
04-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks all.

I went with the 100g tank because I had it laying around. Saved money not buying something and this way I don't have to worry about any critters eating through. Also this will give more leeway on evaporation or splash off.

Phattso
04-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Very nice.

Plateauplower
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Got my first sunburn of the year even though it was only in the 50's. Tore out all the front landscaping, bushes etc and am starting over.

Put in a pondless waterfall, pretty happy with how it turned out, esp for DIY. Buried a 100g stock tank, and am circulating the same water. Hopefully with no exposed pond algae won't be an issue.

sgIMel-zzhE

Looks great I was relandscaping all weekend too. Moving about 8 tons of dirt that we made a berm out of when I installed our patio. Wife wanted the berm gone for more room for the kids (I wasn't loosing any sleep about the minor yard loss). I like the no pond water feature. We built a pond several years ago, got the koi water plants the whole deal. My lab thought it was his pool so he would jump in and knock everything around and I would need to get in and fix it. Finally one summer day, the koi were around 2lbs, the coons found the pond. Koi parts scattered all over the yard, so we filled it in. Might borrow your design for that though, it will be easy to maintain. Nothing better than a water feature running and a nice fire in a fire pit for a relaxing weekend.

polishedball
04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Love it!

What kind of landscaping are you going to put around it?

The wife is dealing with most of that (look wise) We will install together as much as possible with a six month old. There will be a stone, flagstone, mix with some plants. Just no longer wanted any bushes. I may sink a couple 5 gallon pails to make some small water mound displays.

UnaChispita
04-28-2014, 12:14 PM
The wife is dealing with most of that (look wise) We will install together as much as possible with a six month old. There will be a stone, flagstone, mix with some plants. Just no longer wanted any bushes. I may sink a couple 5 gallon pails to make some small water mound displays.

Sounds great!
What a darling pic of your little one :)

beachguy498
04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Nice job, amazing how something fairly simple can transform the look of the yard.

I want to eventually do a koi pond myself. We have varmints by me too so a top screen would be in order. That's actually what's been stopping me from already doing one because I'd have to either leave it on all the time or have to remember to put it down every night. At that it would be racoon-resistant.

Rob

Plateauplower
04-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Wish you were closer to Chicago, I have a bunch of flagstone I'm trying to get out if my yard that was a retaining wall on the berm. It's tough getting things done in the yard with young kids. Definitely adds some time to the project.

Plateauplower
04-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Nice job, amazing how something fairly simple can transform the look of the yard.

I want to eventually do a koi pond myself. We have varmints by me too so a top screen would be in order. That's actually what's been stopping me from already doing one because I'd have to either leave it on all the time or have to remember to put it down every night. At that it would be racoon-resistant.

Rob

If you make the pond deep enough and have the stone hang over the water it's supposed to help keep the coons from getting the fish. Learned this after the fact. A bit of coyote urine nearby will help too, but you have to be really fast to catch it (jk) it can be found in sporting goods stores.