PDA

View Full Version : I've hit a brick wall. Why am i not losing weight?

ChesterGillette
04-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Long time lurker first time poster.

I began cutting back in January 2013 at a weight of over 260lbs. I lost over 50 pounds in the first 10 months and was down to 210 by the end of October (I'm 5'10 btw).
Since that time i have seen no progress and have actually put on 10lbs according to the scale. I do not feel heavier nor do i believe the mirror reflects an extra 10 pounds but its mentally taxing on me to weigh in and not see the thing move knowing full well that i am at a generous calorie deficit. I workout 5-6x a week for an hour to an hour and half every morning. My routine consists of mostly weight lifting followed by a 1 mile jog on the treadmill. I consume 2100 calories a day with the exception of the occasional saturday night that i go out. I weigh what i eat and account for everything from Ketchup, to the teaspoon of Coconut oil i use to fry my morning eggs so the 2100 figure is very very close to accurate. I calculated my TDEE to be 2800. Why am i not losing any weight? I've tried going off my routine and eating at or close to maintenance for a few weeks and nothing. Tried cutting down to 1800 and still nothing. I don't know what to do.

The good part is that the lack of progress hasn't stopped me from wanting to eat clean and exercising. I love this. Fitness and Nutrition have become a major part of my life and that isn't going to change. I'd just like to see some progress again!

When i started this i wanted to have something remotely resembling a summer body by Summer 2014 but that's clearly not going to happen as i'm probably in the 25% range when it comes to body fat.

Bekindrewind
04-27-2014, 10:26 AM
The next weekend eat your most favorite foods for each meal and dessert as well. One catch is only drink water still. Make sure you drink a lot.
That Sunday go shopping and set up a strict week of meals. Pack it in a lunch box each day eat about every two hours and drink lots of water. Take it easy in the gym. All you did was restart your diet ...there's a healthier way of doing this but...i think its better to eat foods you crave to curb the appetite for them so you will want to diet. **** macros... Take your multi vitamins and maybe some mega 3 and w.e else you prefer... Just focus on the caloric deficit .

That Friday before the weekend eat slightly more than normal like 200-400 above maintenance but be healthy. Once Saturday morning comes eat w.e just be realistic and make sure your eating at least 5 times a day on that weekend and stay under 5k calories. But dont aim for 4999 either . Your just kinda doing a "do-over" it helps a lot mentally and your body or routine may have became used to the diet. Eating like **** will make you feel quilt and more aware of your diet as well.

You got my advice now go git sum.

Mdenatale
04-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Bottom line is if you are not losing weight you are not eating below maintenance. It doesn't matter what the calculators say. If your weight is stable for a long period of time then what ever you are eating on average over that time is your maintenance. Take 500 off of that and you will start losing about 1lb per week. You must be in a 3500 calorie per week deficit to lose 1lb per week.

Khabaal
04-27-2014, 10:51 AM
As the above poster says. However, using the perfect scenario that you actually are measuring and accounting for everything you eat, there's still some possibility that you've adjusted to your workouts so your TDEE has changed and that your occasional weekend outing is putting your average around your maintenance. As for weight, it's going to vary from time to time, which is why you should measure the trend over time rather than the exact number unless you're trying to get to a specific number for an athletic event. Water weight fluctuations have caused me to lose or gain 15lbs in one day just due to water intake, sodium, etc. Recalculate your caloric needs (many sites overestimate a bit) and adjust, also make sure your workout isn't lacking in intensity. If you don't see a change in a month or two, then we can reevaluate. If you have a friend into bodybuilding/athletics or something who measures his intake, it always helps to get a second opinion on your meal. There's always the possibility of missing something and it all adds up.

ChesterGillette
04-27-2014, 11:36 AM
As the above poster says. However, using the perfect scenario that you actually are measuring and accounting for everything you eat, there's still some possibility that you've adjusted to your workouts so your TDEE has changed and that your occasional weekend outing is putting your average around your maintenance. As for weight, it's going to vary from time to time, which is why you should measure the trend over time rather than the exact number unless you're trying to get to a specific number for an athletic event. Water weight fluctuations have caused me to lose or gain 15lbs in one day just due to water intake, sodium, etc. Recalculate your caloric needs (many sites overestimate a bit) and adjust, also make sure your workout isn't lacking in intensity. If you don't see a change in a month or two, then we can reevaluate. If you have a friend into bodybuilding/athletics or something who measures his intake, it always helps to get a second opinion on your meal. There's always the possibility of missing something and it all adds up.

I think i'll start being a little more strict on the weekends. I eat the same things m-f but divert away from that on the weekends and allow myself to eat stuff that i don't allow myself to have during the week. It would be a shame if all my hard work during the week would be undone by a little inattentiveness over the weekend.

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean when you said "there's still some possibility that you've adjusted to your workouts"?

Thanks!

Former300lber
04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
I think i'll start being a little more strict on the weekends. I eat the same things m-f but divert away from that on the weekends and allow myself to eat stuff that i don't allow myself to have during the week. It would be a shame if all my hard work during the week would be undone by a little inattentiveness over the weekend.

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean when you said "there's still some possibility that you've adjusted to your workouts"?

Thanks!

Probably overestimating your caloric burn, which lead's to a small surplus during the week which you obliterate on the weekend, I'd bet if you actually tracked kcals on weekend's, and added all together and divided by 7, you would come up with a weekly caloric intake that is close to your maintenance level.

EjnarKolinkar
04-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Why would that matter? Either you are on 2100 accounting for everything you are eating or you aren't?

ChesterGillette
04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Probably overestimating your caloric burn, which lead's to a small surplus during the week which you obliterate on the weekend, I'd bet if you actually tracked kcals on weekend's, and added all together and divided by 7, you would come up with a weekly caloric intake that is close to your maintenance level.

Interesting point. The thing is when i dropped the initial 50+ pounds i was doing the same thing: Being very strict m-f and allowing myself a decent amount of extra calories over the weekends. Perhaps my TDEE was much higher when i weighed 260 and i was getting away with it and still losing pounds because of that.

Serpentarius
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
two options: eat less calories, use more calories