PDA

View Full Version : What are some good cocktails

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 08:41 AM
I started to watch mad men recently (set in the 50s). Other than giving me a wicked craving to start smoking again (quit in 98) it's making me want to try some classic cocktails.

So lately I've tried classic martinis which I find very good as well as an old fashioned which is probably my new favorite.

Ang and I are looking at holding a throwback party later in the summer with classic cocktails so list your favorites so I can try a few out to decide what's going to be on the menu.

paolo59
04-26-2014, 08:44 AM
There is nothing better than a gin and tonic with a lime! :) Tanqueray

ISAID69
04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
There is nothing better than a gin and tonic with a lime! :) Tanqueray[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Bombay Saphire is the key to a good gin & frolic - Makes the girls clothes fall off ;)

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Funny, the martini I had last week was the first gin drink I have ever tried. It's a nice light flavor so I will have to give the gin and tonic a try.

steffo99
04-26-2014, 09:46 AM
First drink I ever had, in 1989 - Snowball
I stick to beer if out but still like this one.

nk0vOYHBDuM

hmmmm16417
04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Haha. I used to mix 50/50 amp energy drink (green) with corona extra, add two shots of Apple pucker and a slice of lemon. Once you get used it, goes down smooth and gives you a buzz that makes you bounce off the wall

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
First drink I ever had, in 1989 - Snowball

Looks pretty good and easy

Haha. I used to mix 50/50 amp energy drink (green) with corona extra, add two shots of Apple pucker and a slice of lemon. Once you get used it, goes down smooth and gives you a buzz that makes you bounce off the wall

I do vodka red bull and lemonade sometimes but I want some old time cocktails

cowboybiker
04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Milk and Pepsi

sumolgi
04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
I do vodka red bull and lemonade sometimes but I want some old time cocktails

substitute crown royal for the vodka and banana liqueur for the lemonade, drop it in the red bull in a shot glass and it's called a King Kong Bomb.

If you have an apple device you might want to look at a free app called "Drinks and Cocktails". It has a pretty extensive recipe library. FWIW

velvetmudhole
04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Manhattan

http://www.rockstarcocktails.com/wp-content/uploads/Manhattan-Cocktail.jpg

DasPhilosopher
04-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Manhattan

ill give it a shot.

velvetmudhole
04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
ill give it a shot.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

mcbourque
04-26-2014, 10:22 AM
My first cocktail was probably cinzano with ice before dinner with my family (kids start drinking a bit around 10 or so in my family)
Bloody Cesar (which I didn't know is very Canadian) was also popular. So was the typical summer Pastis.

As a teenager, all us girls had a cocoa-cognac phase going clubbing in Montreal. Kahlua-cognac and milk. I remember once the bar ran out of milk and had to send someone to the corner store for more LOL

I really don't drink much anymore but I love a good single malt over ice and I was all over those Mai Tai in Hawaii :)

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 10:26 AM
If you have an apple device you might want to look at a free app called "Drinks and Cocktails". It has a pretty extensive recipe library. FWIW

I'll take a look thanks

Manhattan

http://www.rockstarcocktails.com/wp-content/uploads/Manhattan-Cocktail.jpg

Whiskey probably my favorite spirit so I may like that one.

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Bloody Cesar (which I didn't know is very Canadian) was also popular. So was the typical summer Pastis.

Ang tried ordering a Caesar in Vegas and most places don't carry clamato juice. Very Canadian I guess

Funny that I love clams and tomato but clamato juice turns my stomach. I prefer the Bloody Mary with straight tomato juice

mcbourque
04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Ang tried ordering a Caesar in Vegas and most places don't carry clamato juice. Very Canadian I guess

Funny that I love clams and tomato but clamato juice turns my stomach. I prefer the Bloody Mary with straight tomato juice

Clamato is still pretty hard to find in the US but I can get the spicy kind in my local grocery store. I like it just to drink plain - makes me feel like I having vegetable (sorta kinda lol).

ISAID69
04-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Clamato is still pretty hard to find in the US but I can get the spicy kind in my local grocery store. I like it just to drink plain - makes me feel like I having vegetable (sorta kinda lol).

Apparently what happens in Canada stays in Canada.. Vegas did you hear that! No Clamato?

trickyB
04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
There is nothing better than a gin and tonic with a lime! :) Tanqueray

Diet Tonic for those of us dieting down.

whatevergirl
04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Lemonade and vodka over ice, is refreshing and a good cocktail, I think. :) Cosmopolitans might be fun too, not sure if they are 'throw back' though.

Frnkd
04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Blue Hawaii

Ingredients

3/4 oz light rum
3/4 oz vodka
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz sweet and sour (lemon juice and sugar)

Instructions

Combine all ingredients with ice and mix in a blender
Serve in a tall glass, not forgetting the colored umbrella
Turn on Elvis singing the movie’s signature song
Share with someone special

velvetmudhole
04-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Op , I want an invite to this party. Lol. Seriously, sounds like its going to be fun

Phattso
04-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Mojitos. Fun to make with friends and fun to drink many with friends.

And, very delicioso.

Oceanside
04-26-2014, 01:22 PM
on weekends So-Tex puts a little umbrella in each one of his lone star beers and fantasizes about being in Hawaii.

Nikonguy
04-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Rusty Nail

3 parts scotch to 1 part Drambuie.
Over ice; lemon twist optional.

so-tex
04-26-2014, 01:41 PM
on weekends So-Tex puts a little umbrella in each one of his lone star beers and fantasizes about being in Hawaii.I haven't had a Lone Star since grade school. I remember my dad keeping a refrigerator full of Lone Star in the barn. Whenever one of us got thirsty, we would drink one.

V-240
04-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I like me a Negroni once in a while...

http://cocktails.about.com/od/atozcocktailrecipes/r/ngrni_cktl.htm

http://0.tqn.com/d/cocktails/1/I/k/U/-/-/Negroni-89742752.jpg

Better yet, just some straight whiskey... screw it. :cool:

Bando
04-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I prefer the Bloody Mary with straight tomato juice

yes with some hot sauce and coarse black pepper, hard to beat.

demike
04-26-2014, 04:33 PM
If I don't order a beer when I am out, I usually order a Vodka and Pineapple. Probably not what you are looking for though.

weiss1967
04-26-2014, 04:36 PM
The best cocktail for me is Martini BIANCO 50/50 with vodka and couple ice cubes. You can also do it with Cinzano, but again, it has to be bianco. Not Dry Sec, not Rossi but Bianco. Unfortunately BC Liquor Store chain does not carry it, the only way to get it is from states or at least from duty-free store at the border. Makes exceptionally pleasant summer evening drink, flavour and all. Goes well with cigars too, kind of wash the mounth between puffs. Good follower at a card playing table. Sips touch sweet and tingly and it is loaded. Good luck and have fun.

DuracellBunny
04-26-2014, 04:48 PM
When in doubt go with a long island iced tea, not only does it taste good, it's as strong as rocket fuel.

Gin
Vodka
Tequila
White rum
Orange liquor
Lime
Coke

x-trainer ben
04-26-2014, 05:27 PM
I started to watch mad men recently (set in the 50s). Other than giving me a wicked craving to start smoking again (quit in 98) it's making me want to try some classic cocktails.

So lately I've tried classic martinis which I find very good as well as an old fashioned which is probably my new favorite.

Ang and I are looking at holding a throwback party later in the summer with classic cocktails so list your favorites so I can try a few out to decide what's going to be on the menu.
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/05/25-essential-cocktails-everyone-should-know-cocktail-101-easy-mixed-drink-recipes-classic-cocktail-guide.html?ref=sidebar
http://listverse.com/2008/02/08/top-10-classic-cocktails/
http://intoxicologist.net/2009/07/21-must-try-classic-cocktail-recipes/
http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/classic-cocktails

and when all else fails a Zombie :)

Bando
04-26-2014, 05:44 PM
When in doubt go with a long island iced tea, not only does it taste good, it's as strong as rocket fuel.

Gin
Vodka
Tequila
White rum
Orange liquor
Lime
Coke

If I don't order a beer when I am out, I usually order a Vodka and Pineapple. Probably not what you are looking for though.

If you guys are gonna bring up sweet, fruity drinks then the Alabama Slammer must be included:

1 oz Southern Comfort
1 oz Sloe gin
1 oz Amaretto
2 oz Orange juice

very tasty. I dated a gal from Boston who introduced me to them, in her accent they were Alabama Slammah's

paolo59
04-26-2014, 05:48 PM
If you guys are gonna bring up sweet, fruity drinks then the Alabama Slammer must be included:

1 oz Southern Comfort
1 oz Sloe gin
1 oz Amaretto
2 oz Orange juice

very tasty. I dated a gal from Boston who introduced me to them, in her accent they were Alabama Slammah's

Sounds like a gracious, Southern drink! I do love a Mint Julep. :)

DuracellBunny
04-26-2014, 05:49 PM

1 oz Southern Comfort
1 oz Sloe gin
1 oz Amaretto
2 oz Orange juice

Long island iced tea isn't that sweet, it's just enough to balance out the tequila, which can overpower eveything.

Bando
04-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Long island iced tea isn't that sweet, it's just enough to balance out the tequila, which can overpower eveything.

Then my bartender made it wrong, every one I have had has been very sweet.

DuracellBunny
04-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Then my bartender made it wrong, every one I have had has been very sweet.

Less triple sec (or whatever other orange)
Less coke
More tequila

Problem solved.

So many of life's problems can be solved with tequila :)

Oh and to whomever it was that said vodka redbull earlier, try tequila vodka redbull, it tastes better and it's stronger :D

Bando
04-26-2014, 06:30 PM

"repped"

Phattso
04-26-2014, 06:31 PM
May not be a throw back but I like vodka and cranberry. Cape Cod.

Guinea-pig
04-26-2014, 07:58 PM
"repped"

No dowt !

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 09:10 PM

Tequila is my problem starter drink. For a lot of guys it's whiskey, not me. I can drink whiskey all night long but give me one tequila and it's a trip to the drunk tank. All three of my nights in the tank have been caused by tequila

pvsampson
04-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Good dose of Bacardi,top with pineapple juice,splash of coconut milk and plenty of crushed ice.

so-tex
04-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Sparky wanted old school cocktail's, not this crap some of y'all are suggesting. :)

Me? Shot glass with good bourbon.

frozensparky
04-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Sparky wanted old school cocktail's, not this crap some of y'all are suggesting. :)

Me? Shot glass with good bourbon.

Lol I don't mind some straight bourbon either. My friends however make the nasty face and need a little mix.

BlackRelaxer
05-09-2014, 07:38 AM
My usual home-from-work drink is ~3 oz of good bourbon, a splash of simple syrup, and whatever bitters I'm feeling like (I've got 20+ varieties). Bitters are like a belt on a great outfit -- small and easy to miss, but it can really bring it all together perfectly. Sometimes I want an orange-y tang, sometimes I want to get down with some rhubarb, other times I need a peppery kick.

If I'm feeling fancy, I'll make one of these:

3 oz of rye
1+ oz of Domaine Canton ginger liqueur
1 oz of simple syrup
1 oz of lemon juice
a few blurps of Angostora bitters

Mix in a shaker, pour into manhattan glass with a cherry

FlaIronMind
05-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Milk and Pepsi

You mean Pepsi and Ring-Dings...or should we start calling you Laverne?

As for OP, while I no longer drink hard liquor, and when I did it was usually straight scotch, Irish whiskey or bourbon, I once had a plethora of mid-century modern furniture, including a bar and cocktail mixers. I became pretty good at mixing up a variety of drinks, almost invariably for ladies. A couple of off-the-beaten path drinks to consider: 1. Vesper. 2. Sidecar. Usually sure-fire solid senders in terms of pleasing their recipients. I'm sure online you can find how to mix them.

Requitor
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Tequila is my problem starter drink. For a lot of guys it's whiskey, not me. I can drink whiskey all night long but give me one tequila and it's a trip to the drunk tank. All three of my nights in the tank have been caused by tequila

That is because you are not drinking it right. One shot of tequila, one tsp of tobascco, let it settle to the bottom of the shot then hammer it. Prairie Fire.

frozensparky
05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
My usual home-from-work drink is ~3 oz of good bourbon, a splash of simple syrup, and whatever bitters I'm feeling like (I've got 20+ varieties). Bitters are like a belt on a great outfit -- small and easy to miss, but it can really bring it all together perfectly. Sometimes I want an orange-y tang, sometimes I want to get down with some rhubarb, other times I need a peppery kick.

If I'm feeling fancy, I'll make one of these:

3 oz of rye
1+ oz of Domaine Canton ginger liqueur
1 oz of simple syrup
1 oz of lemon juice
a few blurps of Angostora bitters

Mix in a shaker, pour into manhattan glass with a cherry

That sounds good. And I really do agree about the bitters. I'm partial to angostora myself

1. Vesper. 2. Sidecar. Usually sure-fire solid senders in terms of pleasing their recipients. I'm sure online you can find how to mix them.

I may try these this weekend.

That is because you are not drinking it right. One shot of tequila, one tsp of tobascco, let it settle to the bottom of the shot then hammer it. Prairie Fire.

That was my 19th birthday. When I could drink tequila. My ball team put 19 prairie fires in front of me. I made it through the night but the next day I learned the expression "burning ring of fire"

mslman71
05-09-2014, 03:59 PM
0BQFv83QJ2Y

debandmikeb
05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
This must be kinda "throwback" because most younger bartenders can't make one. The Stinger, when made correctly, is a nice smooth, tasty treat. On the rocks is okay but straight-up is better. No ice to melt.

Mike

GentlemanLifter
05-09-2014, 06:12 PM
http://static.squarespace.com/static/514fb42fe4b0a337a817163f/t/51ffa38ae4b0bfd6927d0278/1375708044068/sidecar-graphic.jpg

Marius_Ursus
05-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Milk and Pepsi

It takes the ccchhhh outta the milk and the urp outta the Pepsi.