PDA

View Full Version : Question about Beans

Super_Noob
02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
This is my first post here. I'm 17 and have been working out ever since I was in high school. Last year I started taking whey protein in addition to working out, and I guess it's helped a bit.

I recently began eating a lot of beans as a way to include more protein in my diet. Since I live near an Asian district, I have easy access to dried soybeans, red beans, and mung beans. I was also on the wrestling team, so the higher fiber content helped me to drop weight too. Overall it sounded like a miracle food (despite eating them with nothing added, which was horrible).

But then I came across several articles listing the problems associated with soy (my main bean). Seeing as how I made them fresh and wasn't depriving myself of meats, I pretty much ignored everything. But apparently they contain some sort of plant estrogen, and can cause a lot of problems in males, such as a decreased level in testosterone and infertility (not too worried about that last part though :p).

And then many articles emphasize that soy contains "complete proteins". There's a difference in protein? Because if that's the case I'm obviously trying to produce muscle and lose weight, not make more protective mucous for my nose.

So my question is, are these articles true on the fact that soybeans (or beans in general) contain chemicals which will actually make me weaker in the long run?

Is the protein in beans the kind that will help me to produce muscle?

So on. I would appreciate any advice at all on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

eatingisfun
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
There aren't too many studies with soy and males but in general you shouldn't eat a lot of it. A little is ok but yes soy does have phytoestrogens which are estrogen mimicking chemicals. So yes you don't want them if at all possible and I would never eat any if you can.

The thing about being a complete protein means that it contains all the amino acids required by the human body. Incomplete obviously means that it doesn't have all the required aminos. You can take many incomplete proteins together to make a complete protein but this takes lots of work and it's easier to just eat meat unless you are strictly vegetarian.

You might not care about infertility now but you probably will later.

rafaelerthal
02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I read an article in FLEX Magazine that with dealt just that.

Actually, recent studies confirm that soy have no relevant impact on estrogen levels, in a moderate consumption. It has a complete aminogram profile.

Beans (I mean black and red) do not contain any kind of phytoestrogens. It is a good source of fiber, protein (especially if eaten together with rice) and low GI carbs. I eat beans everyday and haven't noticed any side effects so far.

Sam C
02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
beans, beans the magical food
the more you eat, the more you poop
the more you poop the better you feel
beans, beans in every meal!

Super_Noob
02-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Alright I guess I'll have to stick to red beans.

By the way, when you guys talk about red beans, do you mean those mexican kidney beans or the asian azuki beans?

Jamesstout
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
do you eat beans with a carb or a protein?

Super_Noob
02-26-2007, 01:38 PM
do you eat beans with a carb or a protein?

I used to just boil them until they were soft and scruff them down with some water. But recently I started putting the beans with some water and some whey protein in a blender and making this incredibly thick, disgusting smoothie.

Add a steamed fish with some rice and you have my meal for the day.

Do I need to eat beans with rice and meat or something?

Jamesstout
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I used to just boil them until they were soft and scruff them down with some water. But recently I started putting the beans with some water and some whey protein in a blender and making this incredibly thick, disgusting smoothie.

Add a steamed fish with some rice and you have my meal for the day.

Do I need to eat beans with rice and meat or something?

to make a complete protein eat a grain that day. i.e. rice or bread. 'cos i have high carb needs i eat rice and beans with some chicken but for most on say 404020 that would be high carb so maybe they have like beans and chicken?

markstar55
02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
beans are fine and healthy. they are not gonna make u produce excess estrogen to make u not produce muscle.

Super_Noob
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
to make a complete protein eat a grain that day. i.e. rice or bread. 'cos i have high carb needs i eat rice and beans with some chicken but for most on say 404020 that would be high carb so maybe they have like beans and chicken?

alright great thanks for your help man

Jamesstout
02-27-2007, 03:17 AM
alright great thanks for your help man

happy to oblige :)

dropshot001
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
i limit my intake and normally stick with the red/black beans. don't really go for the soy products any more because of the connection with estrogen. i don't know how strong the link is, but if there is one, i don't want it.