PDA

View Full Version : Seiki se39uy04 uhd hdtv

InstantLoser
04-25-2014, 10:34 PM
For anyone looking at possibly getting this TV, it's on sale on Amazon right now for $426.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOPGO2G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07VAVZ8JYEZ1NJ8MFNME&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I haven't tested mine a ton yet, but I thought I'd write a mini-review based on my last 2 hours of pulling my (invisible) hair out just trying to scan for QAM channels...
Basically I powered it on, and went through the initial setup where you choose a menu language, time zone, and then whether you want to scan for Cable or Air channels, or setup an external device such as a Blu Ray player or Chromecast (both those worked fine btw, looked great actually).
Once you get to the point where you're scanning for channels, this is where this TV is an annoying piece of ****. It gives you no option (initially) to scan for anything specific. It just "auto" searches for you, and it won't find anything. I ran it a couple times (both Air and Cable) and it finds zero channels every time. So, I'm thinking it's borked, and started doing Google searches. What I found is that you have to back out of the initial scan, then select a source and pick "TV", then bring up the menu and select "Channel", then change the option from AUTO to QAM. Totally self explanatory right? The plot thickens. Once you find this QAM option, and try to scan, low and behold.. you have to enter a CODE from SEIKI to UNLOCK the ability to scan for QAM channels! Sonofab33tch! I tried calling their hotline and of course they were closed, however since they apparently have tons of calls about this their automated system tells you to email them and they'll send you a code. Luckily this actually works and you get a code in like 3 minutes (automated email response). For anyone looking for this code btw, to save you some time, it's 31415. It's the same on all their 39" 4K tv's so I don't know why they bother making you email them for it.

But wait, the plot CONTINUES TO THICKEN.

While I was waiting for the email response containing the unlock code, I decided to go ahead and update the firmware since several reviewers on Amazon stated that doing so corrected some issues the TV has when being used as a PC monitor (one of the big reasons I bought it). I downloaded the firmware and followed the steps to install it (pretty basic). After the TV restarted, I proceeded to go back in and prepare to search for QAM channels (now that I had my unlock code!). But hark! The option to search for QAM channels was GONE! Oh silly Seiki, they must have forgotten to retain that option in their "new and updated firmware". I tried a factory reset. No joy. I tried reinstalling the firmware again. Nope, no QAM option. Totally removed from the TV.

A solution presents itself:

Since there was no way to revert back to the stock firmware (which contains the QAM search function), I began derping with it as a PC monitor. At 1080p, this TV is "supposed" to support 120hz using HDMI 1.4 (cable included with the TV, actually a REALLY nice HDMI cable with blue shielding), but all I could get was a 60hz option. I'm currently using my ITX box with an R9 280x video card (my pair of 6GB GTX780's will be incoming from EVGA hopefully next week and I can get into real gaming). I remembered having read that you can actually flash SEIKI's 50" TV firmware on this TV and it improves a lot of the issues, and fixes the 120hz issue. Since at this point I basically had nothing to lose (TV wasn't able to find any channels) I went ahead and flashed the 50" firmware. BLAMO! We can search for QAM channels! I still need to go back and verify that it can do 120hz @1080p because if it can, this TV will work with Nvidia 3D Vision! I'm currently scanning QAM channels which is taking a while, but it's found 143 so far which is great.

Cliffs:

-Bought SEIKI 39" UHD 4k TV
-QAM Scanning requires unlock code 31415
-Updating firmware deletes option to scan for QAM
-if you buy this and inadvertently update the firmware, thus deleting QAM search, flash the 50" firmware to resolve all issues and enable 120hz @1080p PC monitor support (still need to test this to verify)

The only game I've tested so far has been ESO @4k 30hz. I find 30 FPS to be pretty playable (probably not so much in every game though) and the game just looks fantastic. Soooo sharp and clean looking, and huge on the 39" screen. Very very pleased with this TV as a gaming monitor, despite the low refresh rate. When my 6GB cards arrive I will be testing out 4k modded Skyrim... :D

InstantLoser
04-26-2014, 12:03 AM
Update: 120hz still doesn't work. Guess we have to wait and see if Seiki ever bothers to fix it. Apparently they're aware and claim it'll work in an upcoming firmware but have been saying that for like 5 months... Oh well, the 4k is still hawt.

InstantLoser
04-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Update: Using the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) I am able to get this tv to act as a 1080p 100hz monitor. Not quite the 120hz it's supposed to support, but still great. That means for $429 you get a 4k HD TV that can also support buttery smooth gaming at 1080p. When my 6gb GTX780 cards arrive from EVGA I will see if it can also support 3d Vision which is supposed to work at 100hz or greater.

Glutes4DaSloots
04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
I still need to go back and verify that it can do 120hz @1080p because if it can, this TV will work with Nvidia 3D Vision!

Sorry brah but no. That tv only has hdmi 1.4a ports which caps out at 24Hz per eye at 1080p (via frame packing). Furthermore, 3D Vision requires 120Hz combined (60hz per eye) in order to function. And TVs don't display at true 120Hz. They use post-processing algorithms to eliminate jutter and blur by inserting 'fake' frames into the picture. This is not the same as a 120Hz monitor, which will output 120 frames per second if it is sufficiently supplied those frames by the gpu. Even if that tv could display at true 120Hz, it would need a higher bandwidth interface (ie: dual-link dvi or displayport) to display 1080p120

MiscMathematician
04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
gunna wait until midrange video cards can actually play games at these resolutions. probably 2018-2020

InstantLoser
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Sorry brah but no. That tv only has hdmi 1.4a ports which caps out at 24Hz per eye at 1080p (via frame packing). Furthermore, 3D Vision requires 120Hz combined (60hz per eye) in order to function. And TVs don't display at true 120Hz. They use post-processing algorithms to eliminate jutter and blur by inserting 'fake' frames into the picture. This is not the same as a 120Hz monitor, which will output 120 frames per second if it is sufficiently supplied those frames by the gpu. Even if that tv could display at true 120Hz, it would need a higher bandwidth interface (ie: dual-link dvi or displayport) to display 1080p120

Sorry but you're mistaken. It is putting out a true 100hz signal (I have verified this in PC games, and you can visually see the difference from 60hz to 100hz anyway), and according to the Nvidia 3D Vision requirements you need 100hz+. I understand the difference between an "Interpolated 120hz" vs a true 120hz, and this is putting out a true 100hz. HDMI 1.4a has enough bandwidth to handle true 1080p@120hz, or 4k@30hz.

Glutes4DaSloots
04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry but you're mistaken. It is putting out a true 100hz signal (I have verified this in PC games, and you can visually see the difference from 60hz to 100hz anyway), and according to the Nvidia 3D Vision requirements you need 100hz+. I understand the difference between an "Interpolated 120hz" vs a true 120hz, and this is putting out a true 100hz. HDMI 1.4a has enough bandwidth to handle true 1080p@120hz, or 4k@30hz.

I reread your OP. It looks like you're overclocking the tv to support that input rate. If you know what you're doing then have at it, but I must warn you that it does have the potential to cause permanent burn-in (as has been seen in many Korean panel OC cases). Good luck with your bootleg goals of 2014.

InstantLoser
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
I reread your OP. It looks like you're overclocking the tv to support that input rate. If you know what you're doing then have at it, but I must warn you that it does have the potential to cause permanent burn-in (as has been seen in many Korean panel OC cases). Good luck with your bootleg goals of 2014.

The TV is actually supposed to natively support 120hz. The only reason I'm having to use CRU to manually set a custom resolution @ 100hz is because SEIKI is retarded and hasn't fixed a firmware bug which is keeping it from being enabled, thus it keeps showing 60hz. Since the panel is actually rated to function at 1080p 120hz, 100hz should be no problem for it.

ACVinebrah
04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
How did you find out about this monitor? avsforums hardocp?

InstantLoser
04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
How did you find out about this monitor? avsforums hardocp?

Just derping around on Amazon looking at 4k TV's. I did some reading about it before I bought it and was waiting to see if my neighbor wanted to buy my old TV. When it went on sale for like $426 I jumped on it.

freeburn
04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Are there any 4k movie torrents floating around out there? I'd be curious to see how movies look and if there's even any online to download.

InstantLoser
04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Are there any 4k movie torrents floating around out there? I'd be curious to see how movies look and if there's even any online to download.

I think there is very little 4k source material out yet. I know that "House of Cards" on Netflix (Kevin Spacey) is now being filmed in 4k. There are a few YouTube videos that have been shot with 4k cameras (I think the new Galaxy S5 has a 4k camera), but YouTube caps them at 1080p anyway, or at least reduces the quality so it's hard to get the real 4k feel from it. I'm mosly just enjoying the 4k PC gaming (although until I get my pair of 6GB GTX780's from EVGA I'm suffering with an R9 280x lol) which even though capped at 30 FPS, looks amazing, and I find 30 FPS to be pretty playable in most games.

I did find this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Mastered-Single-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B00BPA2P9I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398712345&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=upconverting+4k

Looks like they're doing some Blu Ray in 4k? Not sure how that works, maybe it's a Dual Layer disc but it'd still be a really large file size to fit on a Blu Ray (DL = 50GB, some 1080p movies are already close to capping that out). I know you can get Blu Ray players that upconvert to 4k. They're in the $150 range, so i'll be buying one some time soon to see how that does.