PDA

View Full Version : Corridor shooters are much more fun than open world/sandbox ones?

hegotbig
04-24-2014, 11:10 PM
So i been playing some old skool PC games like

FEAR
Half Life 2

And the intensity and immersion of the game is far superior in these claustraphobic environments

Games like

Far Cry 3
Red Faction geurilla wars

Though good games dont create the same level of intensity IMO

angelfire2005
04-24-2014, 11:22 PM
half life 2 top 5 game of all time no matter what the genre. when will it be half life 3 time

LS Series
04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
half life 2 top 5 game of all time no matter what the genre. when will it be half life 3 timeSomeone rep this man for life!

Kalmah6661
04-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Both kinds of games are awesome and intense. Why does it have to be one or the other?

I will give props to old-school intense games like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R., though. Those games were so cash.

hegotbig
04-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Both kinds of games are awesome and intense. Why does it have to be one or the other?

I will give props to old-school intense games like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R., though. Those games were so cash.

It doenst my point is imo u cant get that fear and immersion in open world environemtns liek u do in the tight corridor games.

BOOM whos round the corner? open the door BOOM etc lol..

00o
04-25-2014, 02:44 AM

It's too unfortunate that the original FEAR doesn't natively support 1920x1200 resolution. Chit would be straight cash homie.

GoobyPls
04-25-2014, 03:06 AM
i usually play open world games but the new max payne was awesome even though it was so linear.

i guess developers can put more work into the mechanics/graphics when they dont have to worry about a huge open world

that being said, far cry 3 was one of my favorite games of all time and the shooting was done very good

Techriding101
04-25-2014, 03:45 AM
if you really feel that way try playing Natural Selection 2. Pretty much only fps i play and it's a mix of FPS/RTS via control nodes etc. Alien vs Marine setup, most all aliens travel close as fuark to the floor

VIEMNdg5j78

chlaxman
04-25-2014, 07:24 AM
I prefer a mixture of the two. Dues Ex style.

MGS
Dues Ex
Mass Effect

jolanar1
04-25-2014, 09:09 AM
I never understand why people salivate over open world. So much aimless running around and retreading in those games.

areyouaweir
04-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Currently going through Black Mesa again, planning on beating HL2 against right after im done with Black Mesa. Such a legit game, one of the best for sure.

HurpnDurp
04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Both are good and I welcome both. We need variety, nothing wrong if creators want to spread their wings

linkin90
04-25-2014, 12:45 PM
I never understand why people salivate over open world. So much aimless running around and retreading in those games.

This. I like open world games but I like the refinement and detail that a smaller scale game can have.

linkin90
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Currently going through Black Mesa again, planning on beating HL2 against right after im done with Black Mesa. Such a legit game, one of the best for sure.

I hear there going to actually finish black mesa Sometime soon and will be on steam to play.. I'm waiting for that to happen

freeburn
04-25-2014, 01:04 PM
I've been enjoying sandbox games more recently.

jhm123
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
So i been playing some old skool PC games like

FEAR
Half Life 2

And the intensity and immersion of the game is far superior in these claustraphobic environments

Games like

Far Cry 3
Red Faction geurilla wars

Though good games dont create the same level of intensity IMO

you should work your way much further back if you're into corridor shooters. check out the old build engine games, especially Blood. One of the hardest fps games ever

InstantLoser
04-25-2014, 02:06 PM
It's too unfortunate that the original FEAR doesn't natively support 1920x1200 resolution. Chit would be straight cash homie.

Usually you can edit the games' config file and manually input custom resolutions.

Otaman
04-25-2014, 02:08 PM

freedom, immersion, exploration, relaxation etc

open world offers so much more than linear games. It has to be done right though, which is not easy

GorzhusRossiyey
04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Can confirm, the greatest game of all times was pretty much a corridor shooter.

BSsfjHCFosw

00o
04-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Usually you can edit the games' config file and manually input custom resolutions.

In Fear 1 if you edit the config file manually, you don't actually get a larger depth of field.

gbullock32
04-25-2014, 08:05 PM
This. I like open world games but I like the refinement and detail that a smaller scale game can have.Agreed open world is fun but sometimes a tight level design is a good thing.

Happy to have both options out there, let's me pick which I want depending on what I'm feeling like.

occy27
04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah infinite health ruined shooters for me.

Halfway
04-26-2014, 03:03 AM
How about both?

Systemic game design, but with narrative and scripted set pieces.. And smaller, compartmentalized sandboxes vs giant open worlds. Hmm, sounds like something I know.

I would rather make flappy birds clones than ever work on another corridor shooter.

KilaByte
04-26-2014, 07:34 AM
I never understand why people salivate over open world. So much aimless running around and retreading in those games.It's about exploration, not everyone wants their hand held.

linkin90
04-26-2014, 08:08 AM
It's about exploration, not everyone wants their hand held.

I don't think corridor shooters need to hold your hand. See older games like quake that had more of a maze map design.

freeburn
04-26-2014, 08:50 AM
I don't think corridor shooters need to hold your hand. See older games like quake that had more of a maze map design.

That's the problem... older games. There's no new corridor shooters that are really good.

I like day z style. No radar, no map, no hit markers, no player names. If you want to confirm the kill go find the body and check the pulse.