PDA

View Full Version : Trying to establish my maintenance. Critique my diet? (straightforward pics from mfp)

jlai928
04-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Been trying to establish my maintenance. IIFYM calculator says its 2700 but I've been eating strictly 2400 and my weight hasn't changed. Anyways about to go on a clean bulk so all I would do is increase the volume of what I'm eating, just wanted to know if I've got the basic idea or am I eating too many sweets???

Trying to do a 40p/35c/25f split but I'm not overly concerned about macro ratios just making sure I hit my protein :D

jlai928
04-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I eat the same thing everyday basically. Only thing that changes is my dinner but I try and stick as close to my macros as possible :)

Mrpb
04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
If your weight doesn't change at 2400 then that's your maintenance for now.

Forget ratio's, the body works with minimum requirements. For protein 0.8 gram per lb, for fat 0.45 gram per lb.

You're not eating too much sugar/sweets.

For a lean bulk I'd start with 2700 calories and observe real world weight gain. After water retention has stablized you should be gaining 2 to 3 lbs per month.

The protein shakes you're consuming are likely unnecessary. You could replace them with real food.

NoNamed
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Be careful with eating tuna everyday.

tbarabash
04-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Don't want mercury poisoning. But seems like you got the idea down. If no weight gain at 2700 in two weeks up it another 300 etc. You'll eventually plateau after you gain some weight so you'll just have to up it more and remember to increase protein and fats accordingly to meet new calcs of lean body mass *.8/.45 pro/fat

jlai928
04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Aight I've got it. Thanks guys. Eh I never really thought about that before :O I should try and cut down on tuna. I love it though, easiest/most portable lean source imo (in a tin).

If your weight doesn't change at 2400 then that's your maintenance for now.

Forget ratio's, the body works with minimum requirements. For protein 0.8 gram per lb, for fat 0.45 gram per lb.

You're not eating too much sugar/sweets.

For a lean bulk I'd start with 2700 calories and observe real world weight gain. After water retention has stablized you should be gaining 2 to 3 lbs per month.

The protein shakes you're consuming are likely unnecessary. You could replace them with real food.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm going to try and replace some of the shakes with more meat haha it's getting costly too :( You're right I think it's more important to gauge what's actually happening since these are just numbers/guidelines.

Mrpb
04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Aight I've got it. Thanks guys. Eh I never really thought about that before :O I should try and cut down on tuna. I love it though, easiest/most portable lean source imo (in a tin). .

Keep in mind that the common recommendation for fat is a minimum of 0.45 gram per lb. That's 81 grams for you per day, as a minimum.

Eating more fat than that does not make you fat. Eating a too large surplus can make you fat.

In other words, you don't have to look for lean protein sources and drink skimmed milk. Heck, whole milk has benefits over skimmed milk, especially post work out.