PDA

View Full Version : IT Entry Level

netsfan549
04-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Does anybody here know a good website to look for IT jobs? I want to get a entry level job to get my feet in the door Thank you

InstantLoser
04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Does anybody here know a good website to look for IT jobs? I want to get a entry level job to get my feet in the door Thank you

Dice.com. Nothing but IT jobs, most of which are "contract", or Contract to Hire. Many are short term (like 3-6 months) but you can get experience that way and often if the parent company likes your work, they'll hire you directly.

What are your credentials? Any education/certs?

ducatisteve
04-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Monster, Dice, Indeed....if there's a university around you many of them list jobs on their websites. What education/certificates/experience do you have?

netsfan549
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Getting my CCNA in a month after that I will go after CCNP. and No experience

ducatisteve
04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Any college? Depending on where you live, a degree + CCNA will score you an entry level network admin position pretty quickly.

InstantLoser
04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Getting my CCNA in a month after that I will go after CCNP. and No experience

CCNP is a pretty advanced cert. Get that and maybe do a 3-6 month contract somewhere, then start looking for something more permanant with higher pay. You should have zero problem landing a good job with a CCNP. Even CCNA can get you pretty good jobs well above entry level.

Antye
04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
If you're from England try an apprenticeship, 1 year of chit pay but foot in the door & 80% chance of full time employment after (assuming you don't cawk up).

jerzyfit
04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Try craigslist for entry level jobs. A lot of MSP's post on craigslist.

LiftHeavy85
04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
post ur resume on all sites, you will generally get your first couple jobs through recruiting agencies until the corporate world hires you on as an employee

1quick1
04-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Just go work tier 1 helpdesk at Comcast/Convergys/Time Warner. You'll get experience and if you can tolerate it for more than 1 year you'll gain invaluable patience.

gsxtreme1987
04-23-2014, 07:09 PM
same situation here.

Is A+ worth getting or should i go straight for CCNA?

I've built plenty of PCs before and done troubleshooting.. not sure if i wanna spend $180x2 on A+

I have a Bachelors in Geographic Information systems.

InstantLoser
04-23-2014, 07:27 PM
same situation here.

Is A+ worth getting or should i go straight for CCNA?

I've built plenty of PCs before and done troubleshooting.. not sure if i wanna spend $180x2 on A+

I have a Bachelors in Geographic Information systems.

A+ and CCNA are not really related. If you want to work in IT (something in the Systems Admin line) then A+ would be beneficial. CCNA is Networking related and would get you a role in a Network Admin position (or something like a Network Analsyt which could lead to better positions later).

gsxtreme1987
04-23-2014, 07:39 PM
A+ and CCNA are not really related. If you want to work in IT (something in the Systems Admin line) then A+ would be beneficial. CCNA is Networking related and would get you a role in a Network Admin position (or something like a Network Analsyt which could lead to better positions later).

I wanna get into Security.. but every forum keeps recommending A+ .. which seems very basic. Thats why i was trying to figure out a different path.

InstantLoser
04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I wanna get into Security.. but every forum keeps recommending A+ .. which seems very basic. Thats why i was trying to figure out a different path.

Security+ is a Comptia cert you should look into then. If you want to do something in network security, I'd get Sec+ and CCNA/CCNP. I think C C I E deals with security also, but it's very advanced, and costs quite a bit (like $2000 I think, and has to be renewed every 3 years).

I'm not saying don't get A+. Padding your resume is always a good idea, and taking it will give you a feel for how these kinds of tests are taken, plus it's pretty inexpensive so it couldn't hurt.

dcbone30
04-23-2014, 07:51 PM

I'm working on my IT degree and getting some certs at the same time. I work full time, not in IT, but plan on making a career change so I keep an eye out for jobs just so I can guide my certifications in the direction I think will help me land a job when I finish my degree.

Pretty much every entry level job that I see requires/strongly prefers A+. It seems A+ is pretty mainstream at least for a foundation of any entry level IT position.

From my understanding A+ certs tells employers you can install, maintain, troubleshoot, diagnose and repair IT issues when it comes to networks and hardware with competency. Your other certifications will just reinforce your resume and help get into more specific jobs such as security or network administration since A+ only touches on the basics with that kind of stuff.

netsfan549
04-23-2014, 08:03 PM
yeah, I might start off with A plus, CCNA then CCNP. I know not the same thing but want to gain experience as much as possible..Any good sites to study for A plus? I found a study guide on groupon for CCNP

Trem24
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
A lot of people I know, usually go for the CompTIA trio (A+, Net+, and Sec+). Which is a solid foundation, and will get you into the door for some interviews. Employers like them because they are recognized industry wide. I know for a fact I probably would have my current IT job if it wasn't for having all the three.

If you have CCNA, and nothing else with no experience, you might be able to land a job at NOC. Which is a little bit above helpdesk.

skullcrusher149
04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
A+ isn't really that important, afaik. At least not where I work. Concentrate on your CCNA, and branch off from there. Get Packet Tracer as soon as you can, and start googling some labs that you can learn from.

*****://www.netacad.com/web/about-us/cisco-packet-tracer
http://ccnav5.com/ - download the zip file of the lab package. I just did, scanned it, and it's all safe.

wings_unhinged
04-23-2014, 08:57 PM

Monster, Indeed, LinkedIn

wings_unhinged
04-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Security+ would probably be more appropriate.

ShangTsung
04-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I'll tell you one thing, try your damnedest to not get stuck with a call center job (or anything that involves talking to clients directly). Now, I know this will be close to impossible with only beginner certs and no experience, so if you do end up with one of those jobs, keep getting certs. Stay hungry. For the love of god, do not get complacent or you will get burned out having to deal with idiots. And chances are, the people above you will be idiots who are tier 1 lifers (people that are happy being managers of call centers).

It will be soul crushing. Stick it out for a year tops for the sake of your resume and then make it your mission to GTFO.

dcbone30
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
yeah, I might start off with A plus, CCNA then CCNP. I know not the same thing but want to gain experience as much as possible..Any good sites to study for A plus? I found a study guide on groupon for CCNP

Go to Professor messer's website

seanb1979
04-24-2014, 09:42 AM
A+ isn't really that important, afaik. At least not where I work. Concentrate on your CCNA, and branch off from there. Get Packet Tracer as soon as you can, and start googling some labs that you can learn from.

*****://www.netacad.com/web/about-us/cisco-packet-tracer
http://ccnav5.com/ - download the zip file of the lab package. I just did, scanned it, and it's all safe.

this... no one gives a **** about a+, its simply a cert to sell

enfieldvball
04-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Personally, I don't think DICE is a good website for someone with little to no experience in the field, the majority of the postings there are for people with some or a lot of experience.
I tend to find that sites like indeed and monster typically have the same postings, these sites are better for someone with minimal experience. Just do a search with your local zip code and keywords like "desktop" "network" "support" "technical" etc.
Craigslist is also a good source to use, generally I've found the only frauding posts are the ones that state you can work at home or "no experience necessary to be a System Admin" or something along the lines of that
If your in school a good resource would be to look at your schools career website, some companies will post specific entry-level jobs to your schools website so that's another place to look

netsfan549
04-24-2014, 04:10 PM
yay or nay?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-academy-62

Trem24
04-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Personally, I don't think DICE is a good website for someone with little to no experience in the field, the majority of the postings there are for people with some or a lot of experience.
I tend to find that sites like indeed and monster typically have the same postings, these sites are better for someone with minimal experience. Just do a search with your local zip code and keywords like "desktop" "network" "support" "technical" etc.
Craigslist is also a good source to use, generally I've found the only frauding posts are the ones that state you can work at home or "no experience necessary to be a System Admin" or something along the lines of that
If your in school a good resource would be to look at your schools career website, some companies will post specific entry-level jobs to your schools website so that's another place to look

Yeah dice.com is full of a lot recruiting places. Good websites would be indeed, careerbuilder, and even craigslist.

gsxtreme1987
04-25-2014, 07:40 AM
yay or nay?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-academy-62

You can download all the training materials you need.

DLM012
04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
I wanna get into Security.. but every forum keeps recommending A+ .. which seems very basic. Thats why i was trying to figure out a different path.Haven't got it myself yet but CISSP. One of the harder certs but worth it from what I hear if you obtain it.

gsxtreme1987
04-27-2014, 04:44 AM
Decided ima just study for CCNA instead of taking A+ and Network+..