PDA

View Full Version : Going as strict as possible from now to June, need help. REPS

MakersMark101
04-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi guys, been on a cut since March 10, incidentally that was also the first day I've stepped in the gym for over a year due to an injury. I've seen some fat loss, but not as much as I'd hoped for this amount of time. I have counted EVERY SINGLE calorie that I have consumed via a scale and myfitnesspal. Thing is, I have gotten noticeably leaner, yet I haven't dropped a single pound. In the morning I weigh 168, in the afternoon 171. Every. Single. Day. My arms have grown 1/4 inch in this time, if that matters. Anyway, I am running IIFYM, so I'm not counting macros that much. I make sure that I get about 100g of protein per day, don't exceed 250g carbs, and don't count fats. I have one "cheat" meal per week, but even then I count the calories and never exceed maintenance.

This is, I'm stalling out. I am consuming 1850 calories or less per day, but I'm still stalling. Per the calculator, my TDEE is right at 2400 and my BMR is right at 1700. I'm working out 5-6 days per week with heavy weight, and making good gains, but the fat just isn't coming off like I see on other people.

Anyway, I need low carb food ideas. I am burnt out on what I've been eating and I need some new meals. I am totally fine with eating almost the exact same things every day, it has never bothered me.

In addition, I looked at my progress pic from 2 weeks ago and from today, and there is hardly any change in the fat loss area. There IS a difference, just not what I'd hope for 14 days.

Figured I'd add what a typical day looks like for me meal wise:

Breakfast:
Coffee, creamer, sugar - 88 cals
Lemon Quest bar - 160 cals

Lunch:
Usually nothing, not hungry.

Dinner:
Firehouse Italian medium sub - 910 cals
Lemon cooler cookie, 1/4 serving - 68 cals

Later that night:
GNC strawberry protein, 1 scoop - 93 cals
Cottage cheese with strawberry jam - 210 cals

That's a typical day for me calorically speaking. Sometimes I go over that, but rarely under.

lee__d
04-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Getting leaner without losing weight is basically like finding the holy grail. Just keep it going.

P1NBACK
04-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Sauteed spinach and mushrooms. A little olive oil, garlic, salt. Throw it into a pan and heat until the mushrooms are softer and the spinach is wilted. Eat with a seasoned, baked chicken breast.

Quick. Easy. Cheap.

andrewlef
04-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Have you incorporated structured re-feeds into the diet? It will certainly be of psychological benefit to you. Will also help with hormone up-regulation.

As for low carb foods, I'm not sure what you're looking for. I don't do low carb personally, so even when cutting I'm still eating ~200g carbs a day. I find I feel much better on a higher carb diet and I'm happy to lower my fat intake to compensate.

MakersMark101
04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Have you incorporated structured re-feeds into the diet? It will certainly be of psychological benefit to you. Will also help with hormone up-regulation.

As for low carb foods, I'm not sure what you're looking for. I don't do low carb personally, so even when cutting I'm still eating ~200g carbs a day. I find I feel much better on a higher carb diet and I'm happy to lower my fat intake to compensate.

The low carb was just me grasping for straws thinking that may be the reason I'm not losing fat as fast as I'd like. Maybe I'm just impatient?

Can you please give me an overview of the structured refeeds? It sounds straight forward I'd just like to hear it from you to make sure I understand. Thanks.

andrewlef
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM
The low carb was just me grasping for straws thinking that may be the reason I'm not losing fat as fast as I'd like. Maybe I'm just impatient?

Can you please give me an overview of the structured refeeds? It sounds straight forward I'd just like to hear it from you to make sure I understand. Thanks.

Patience is definitely part of it. The scale only measures weight loss (not fat loss, per se), so I put more stock in how I look.

Anyway, a carb refeed is fairly straight forward. Essentially, you increase your carb consumption by 100% or more for a 24 hour period (wake-up til bedtime). At the same time, you also drastically lower your fat intake. Do not exceed 50g fat and limit protein to ~0.8g/lb.

For example, my most recent carb refeed was on Monday.

My macros were: 39F / 573C / 126P for ~3000kcal.
My normal macros are: 67F / 220C / 130P for ~2000kcal (I shoot for 1800).

A refeed can be done once a week or every few days. It really depends on the individual. Also, the amount of carbs varies. 3-6g/lb of lean mass is a good ballpark for a 24-hour refeed. For the greatest effect, carbs should ideally be eaten throughout the day, so it's usually practical to eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. Also, the type of carb does matter. Fructose (fruit sugars) and sucrose (table sugar) should be limited to 100g max. Complex carbs should be the bulk of what you're eating: rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, oats, etc. Since I was working, I had 4 bagels (no topping) during the day. Then at night a big bowl of pasta and a bowl of sugary cereal.

It's also important to have a heavy, intense workout on the day of the refeed. I use Lyle McDonald's protocol.

MattPercy1991
04-23-2014, 11:47 AM

Structured refeeds being, If you are currently on a low carb diet, once per fortnight or week (if bf% is already pretty low, normally sub 10%) have a day where you will eat at least twice the amount of carbs that you have been eating on the other low carb days. You don't want your overall calories to go over maintainence necessarily but up to maintainence is fine so cut down your fats for that day and up the carbs. This will sort out your leptin levels as well as some other stuff.

As the guy above said though, getting leaner without losing weight is a pretty sweet thing lol If, like you said, your arms are growing etc then you are indeed making muscle gainz which means you must be losing fat from somewhere to be staying at the same weight.