PDA

View Full Version : Help with Brand New Laptop! (REPS REPS) Please god help me

jbendil
04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Quick Cliffs.

Brand new Lenovo Laptop, worked solid for a week or two. All the sudden won't turn on.
Is completely dead, no sign of live, no noises, no lights.
I've tried multiple chargers.

I left the laptop idle for over 6 months.
Last night I go to try it again out of the blue and it turns on and i charge it to full battery, while downloading things.
I used it for over 4 hours, downloaded things, played flash games, let it get a full charge and unplugged it, battery held up well.

At 50% battery I shut it down.
Then my girlfriend used it in the morning, it was about to die, so she shut the screen and plugged it in.

I went to turn it on a few hours later, now completely dead again.

Wtf is going on?

I did that unplug it, take battery out and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, didn't work. It was working SO well last night, I just don't know why its dead now.

EatingPancakes
04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Which model do you have by chance? I can only assume it's either something going on with the battery management program or something is up with the charge port.

I had a similar problem with one of mine and it turned out to be the AC Adapter that was wonky. Until I replaced my Adapter I hit the brick (Because percussive maintenance always works right?) and it would start up again.

I should note that there is a setting in battery management that has been known to cause a problem. There are two settings - one that will charge the battery all the way then cut off the charge until it dies to 20% and one that will just keep charging regardless and not cut it off while on direct power. You want it set to the one that doesn't let it die once it charges all the way.

I'd say to hit the AC adapter and/or try without the battery.

jbendil
04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Which model do you have by chance? I can only assume it's either something going on with the battery management program or something is up with the charge port.

I had a similar problem with one of mine and it turned out to be the AC Adapter that was wonky. Until I replaced my Adapter I hit the brick (Because percussive maintenance always works right?) and it would start up again.

I should note that there is a setting in battery management that has been known to cause a problem. There are two settings - one that will charge the battery all the way then cut off the charge until it dies to 20% and one that will just keep charging regardless and not cut it off while on direct power. You want it set to the one that doesn't let it die once it charges all the way.

I'd say to hit the AC adapter and/or try without the battery.

I don't know the model off the bat I'm not home right now. But it has windows 7, it was working fine for maybe 2 weeks max. I said F' it when it appeared completely dead. I've tried with no battery in it, and then I've done pretty much everything, no battery, battery, did the 30 second power button hold without a battery and nothing. I switched chargers, I just don't know what it is, then after it sitting for SOO long idle, it just magically booted up with no problems, charged to full battery, maintained a charge and then when it got low, she went to charge it, shut the screen and it is now back to completely lifeless

Nocturnal310
04-22-2014, 10:54 PM
could be a motherboard issue also.

but why havent u taken it back for replacement or repair is beyond my comprehension

mackd
04-22-2014, 11:05 PM
could be a motherboard issue also.

but why havent u taken it back for replacement or repair is beyond my comprehension

This. Just take it back

KRANE
04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Quick Cliffs.

Brand new Lenovo Laptop, worked solid for a week or two. All the sudden won't turn on.
Is completely dead, no sign of live, no noises, no lights.
I've tried multiple chargers.

I left the laptop idle for over 6 months.
Last night I go to try it again out of the blue and it turns on and i charge it to full battery, while downloading things.
I used it for over 4 hours, downloaded things, played flash games, let it get a full charge and unplugged it, battery held up well.

At 50% battery I shut it down.
Then my girlfriend used it in the morning, it was about to die, so she shut the screen and plugged it in.

I went to turn it on a few hours later, now completely dead again.

Wtf is going on?

Lenovo Laptop?

jk.

New laptop, right? What say you just send it in for warranty repairs?

Kalmah6661
04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
You bought a brand new laptop, it won't turn on after only a week, and you're coming here and asking what to do?

What you should do is call up Lenovo and get a brand new damn computer.

jbendil
04-23-2014, 09:43 AM
This is my girlfriends laptop, who's woman logic was to buy a kindle and leave it in a corner. I took it home and have confiscated it as my own now. Had it been my own I would have went back to wherever she bought it and had it replaced.

EatingPancakes
04-23-2014, 09:52 AM
This is my girlfriends laptop, who's woman logic was to buy a kindle and leave it in a corner. I took it home and have confiscated it as my own now. Had it been my own I would have went back to wherever she bought it and had it replaced.

Everything she touches dies. Be careful brah.

jk.

Should still be under warranty though, listen to the other brahs, just send the damn thing in.