PDA

View Full Version : What are the hardest PC shooters out right now?

tapout17
04-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Which shooters require the most skill? Don't say CS. The only games I can think of right now besides Quake are Shootmania and Tribes.

.aeterna
04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
fuu...them memories of good old T1

-qY8s7X-f30

steepest learning curve of any game ive played

tdnick
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Cs:go

Bulldognation99
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
HC Shooters are dead
People complaining about lag/fps/mouse advantages killed it.
Everyone switched to the less hardware demanding Moba genre.

Search for a game called reflexfps
It could be what you're looking for.
Also check out the 3rd person shooter called loadout

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1466242_1392373751004034_1605209509_n.jpg

JADDENCOR
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Insurgency maybe? Hardcore shooter

tapout17
04-22-2014, 03:01 PM
fuu...them memories of good old T1

-qY8s7X-f30

steepest learning curve of any game ive played

Tribes has a pretty high skill ceiling imo.

Cs:go
On the PS3? lol

Shooters are dead
People complaining about lag/fps/mouse advantages killed it.
Everyone switched to the less hardware demanding Moba genre.

Search for a game called reflexfps
It could be what you're looking for.
Also check out the 3rd person shooter called loadout

Forgot about loadout and I'm aware of reflex. FPS genre is on a major decline when comes to originality but there is only so much you can do with a shooter imo.

Insurgency maybe? Hardcore shooter

Too easy, bro. You can just camp one spot and easily pick off a lot of people by 1 tapping. I have never played people that are really good at the game though.

FrazettaSilke
04-22-2014, 03:04 PM

On the PS3? lol

Forgot about loadout and I'm aware of reflex. FPS genre is on a major decline when comes to originality but there is only so much you can do with a shooter imo.

Too easy, bro. You can just camp one spot and easily pick off a lot of people by 1 tapping. I have never played people that are really good at the game though.
Try Borderlands 2 at level 72, with a level 40 gun. You will be challenged.

1quick1
04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Not necessary a FPS in the sense of deathmatches but Arma is challenging on Veteran difficulty. BRB shot in the head if out of cover from 600m.

whiterice77
Prolly gunz if that counts, not sure how many people still play it. Look up the k-style stuff it's pretty cool

tapout17
Try Borderlands 2 at level 72, with a level 40 gun. You will be challenged.

Aware of UVH without upgraded guns but that's just making the game harder for yourself.

JADDENCOR

There's always Arma, but I guess that's more of a military sim. Also if you have BF2 you should check out the project reality mod. But yeah I agree, not alot of interesting things going on with shooters at the moment

CanardLaque
04-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Quake 1,2 the GOATS.

FrazettaSilke
04-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Aware of UVH without upgraded guns but that's just making the game harder for yourself.
….thats what your title says you want brah, harder games?

tapout17
04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
There's always Arma, but I guess that's more of a military sim. Also if you have BF2 you should check out the project reality mod. But yeah I agree, not alot of interesting things going on with shooters at the moment

Are you aware of the standalone version of Project Reality, PR2?

http://www.pr2game.com/

….thats what your title says you want brah, harder games?

lol That's artificial difficulty and in the title I should have mentioned PvP games.

tdnick
04-22-2014, 03:13 PM

On the PS3? lol

You musta forgot I have a PC brah

tapout17
04-22-2014, 03:21 PM
You musta forgot I have a PC brah

I know, Sony fans aren't loyal. What rank are you at right now?

reyes12
04-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Yea was gonna say, Quake

L_Coops
04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
There's the new f2p tribes on steam? I haven't played it enough to really comment though.

Also you might want to try natural selection 2 if you're in the mood for something different.

freeburn
04-22-2014, 06:42 PM
dayz in hardcore mode

MajorKobraK
04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
UT99 and UT2k4
Quake Live
Quake 1 2
Natural Selection

Bones98
04-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Serious Sam Multiplayer

Quake 3 Arena

Ronnie87
04-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Rust. You start naked with a rock against people with M4's. Can't get much harder than that.

Seriously though Insurgency and BF4 Infantry only Harcore

joshewwah
04-23-2014, 01:16 AM
Call of duty

not srs lmao

Vagitarian
04-23-2014, 01:34 AM
Such a shame Tribes Ascend died due to incompetent jizzlords who developed it.

JaxBrah
04-23-2014, 02:37 AM
I find Red Orchestra 2 difficult

wings_unhinged
04-23-2014, 03:25 AM
I find Hawken to be a challenging game.

Budjola
04-23-2014, 04:36 AM
duke nukem 3d (vintage DN, not this new chit) without cheats

/thread

.aeterna
04-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Such a shame Tribes Ascend died due to incompetent jizzlords who developed it.

the game had so much promise too

such a shame - some of my fondest gaming memories ever were from the late 90s through early 2000s playing Tribes 1. But because FPS have been dumbed down as per CoD, nobody wants to take the time to learn a more complex shooter like Tribes.

SMH

AetasNitor
04-23-2014, 04:48 AM
duke nukem 3d (vintage DN, not this new chit) without cheats

/thread

Hexen and Blood were harder. But Duke Nukem was fun as hell. Megaton Edition is available on steam

Budjola
04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Hexen and Blood were harder. But Duke Nukem was fun as hell. Megaton Edition is available on steam

fuu forgot about hexen and blood, dem feels

JoshSP1985
04-23-2014, 07:34 AM
"Hard" "Realistic" is hard to do while still being fun is the thing.

No one wants to be shot in the leg and bleed out for minutes behind some bush until you die.

Pakoe
04-23-2014, 07:41 AM
None, games today are made to reach as many people as possible. Meaning they had to dumb it down so these attention lacking ***gots could also play videogames.

You could try Vector Strike:
gmZhFPf3YBQ

eXistenceLies
04-23-2014, 08:03 AM
csgo. Once you get to global elite then you can say it isn't a hard game.

Freek314
04-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Blame DarksydePhil's retarded ass... people like that are why games constantly become easier.

Freek314
04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
clZ1cwxghi8

gary69
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
halo 1 pc

leafs43
04-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Team Fortress 2 as a scout.

JADDENCOR
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Red Orchestra 2, free tomorrow on steam. Challenging game

hockeybpr25
04-23-2014, 10:12 AM
CS is the most difficult shooter I've played. I haven't played most of these games mentioned in this thread though.

lsiberian
04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Graw 2 is my favorite shooter all time pretty sure no one plays it now though, but it was definitely much harder than the modern FPS

lsiberian
04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
CS is the most difficult shooter I've played. I haven't played most of these games mentioned in this thread though.

You should definitely try out some of the ones mentioned. CS is definitely not that hard IMO.

tapout17
04-23-2014, 10:25 AM
csgo. Once you get to global elite then you can say it isn't a hard game.

GE is impossible without a 5 stack or a new account. Currently an Eagle with 40 wins and I lose it constantly with all of the hackers.

eXistenceLies
04-23-2014, 10:30 AM
GE is impossible without a 5 stack or a new account. Currently an Eagle with 40 wins and I lose it constantly with all of the hackers.

I am a DMG and yea. It is up and down with me and I only play with a buddy. I def need to start getting more people involved that are good. No way to get there without good buddies.

ralphlaurenbrah
04-23-2014, 11:05 AM
unreal tournament, quake, tribes are all 3 goats.

hockeybpr25
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
You should definitely try out some of the ones mentioned. CS is definitely not that hard IMO.

Meh, I play CSGO competitively and whenever I play other shooters it always messes my aim up so I generally only play one shooter at a time.

ko300zx
04-23-2014, 11:58 AM
the game had so much promise too

such a shame - some of my fondest gaming memories ever were from the late 90s through early 2000s playing Tribes 1. But because FPS have been dumbed down as per CoD, nobody wants to take the time to learn a more complex shooter like Tribes.

SMH

Define "complex" shooter. How complex can you make pointing a gun and pulling a trigger?

JaxBrah
04-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Graw 2 is my favorite shooter all time pretty sure no one plays it now though, but it was definitely much harder than the modern FPS
I loved graw. In fact I played it as recently as last september. At that time there was still a small online community of hardcores. But its definitely not a difficult shooter at all. Far easier than its predecessor, ghost recon.

RoroCwalker
04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
If by ''shooter', you also include TPS ;

GunZ

Vagitarian
04-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Define "complex" shooter. How complex can you make pointing a gun and pulling a trigger?

You must have never even seen gameplay of Tribes to ask that.

Basically in Tribes every weapon is projectile based and the movement is based on skiing off hills and jetpacking through the air. So to hit enemies you have to account for your character's movement speed/direction and the projectile speed of your weapon (and also if the projectile is effected by your movement direction) and also you have to account for the speed and direction of the enemy, who could also be airborne. All of that takes a LOT of skill and is incredibly rewarding when you shoot someone out of the sky.

Tribes Ascend was the funnest shooter I've played since BF1942/Desert Combat in 2003. Grabbing the enemy flag and trying to ski your way back to your base meanwhile a chitload of enemies are coming after you. Ho lee fuk the adrenaline. And also camping the enemy base waiting for an enemy flag carrier to come in and then killing him just before his captures the flag would have me laughing my head off.

Check this vid:

*****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNOGjqHnmA

tapout17
04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I loved graw. In fact I played it as recently as last september. At that time there was still a small online community of hardcores. But its definitely not a difficult shooter at all. Far easier than its predecessor, ghost recon.

GRAW 2 was just a good overall shooter imo. The next game destroyed the series for me. lol

Rust....

Only played one time after the ban wave. Had a huge house and then I realized there was no point in playing because most of the people on the sever were cool with me an I couldn't just go raid their houses. There is no end game, It's like a poverty minecraft but people can break your buildings.

edit: Also, a smart super jumper can take everything and never be caught in that game. Every house I built was intended to stop super jumpers only but If a super jumper has been playing for a while and has enough c4 he can take over the server and never be caught.

.aeterna
04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
You must have never even seen gameplay of Tribes to ask that.

Basically in Tribes every weapon is projectile based and the movement is based on skiing off hills and jetpacking through the air. So to hit enemies you have to account for your character's movement speed/direction and the projectile speed of your weapon (and also if the projectile is effected by your movement direction) and also you have to account for the speed and direction of the enemy, who could also be airborne. All of that takes a LOT of skill and is incredibly rewarding when you shoot someone out of the sky.

Tribes Ascend was the funnest shooter I've played since BF1942/Desert Combat in 2003. Grabbing the enemy flag and trying to ski your way back to your base meanwhile a chitload of enemies are coming after you. Ho lee fuk the adrenaline. And also camping the enemy base waiting for an enemy flag carrier to come in and then killing him just before his captures the flag would have me laughing my head off.

Check this vid:

additionally, it's one of the most demanding (and rewarding) team-based games from its time. between the multiple loadouts (heavy, light, medium), different inventory setups, and literally 8+ different positions in a 10v10 game, the complexity of the game pretty much pushes it beyond the atypical "First-person-shooter"

Too long; didnt watch but:

cbRy-Ldzg0A

this is a 10v10 CTF game between two of the best clans at the time. It'll probably be boring to watch and/or make no sense but what's going on is quite interesting. The POV is from a "capper" a.k.a person who attempts to pickup the enemy flag and return it to the home base. You see him jetpack over hills and run around randomly but what's actually happening is that he is running a "route" which allows him to generate enough speed to swoop down on the enemy flag and get away.

In order to successfully grab a flag, which is guarded by a "Heavy-on-Flag" (quite literally, an opponent in fully heavy armor sitting on the flag defending it), he has to time his route precisely with his teammate's "Heavy Offense" Mortar to clear it for a split second.

Long story short, and nerd talk aside- it's a complex game that was way ahead of its time when it was released in 1998. One of the reasons the franchise is dying (or is already dead) is because it's not a simple game you can pickup. Simply getting used to jet-packing and "skiing down hills to generate speed" can take a while. Most people up until this point were used to running on the ground in FPSs. Tack on the many different maps, different positions, etc and you have a game that's not friendly for casual gamers. CoD is better in that respect.

Im not knocking CoD either- i loved MW1+2 for what they were; simple easy-to-pickup and mindless arcade style shooters.

Vagitarian
04-23-2014, 03:31 PM
cbRy-Ldzg0A

It seems like it was a lot easier back then to get speed/height... at least from watching that map.

They had the remake version of that map in T:A. Was good fun.

Slow_Ninja
04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Are we counting World of Tanks as a shooter? Because you will get your ass handed to you in that game. Everyone does though, which is what makes it great. Its a neat game of fps chess.

pieisyum
04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Unreal Tournament/Quake/Tribes series.

Here are some UT2004 videos from a friends channel
youtube.com/user/conX5DTS

.aeterna
04-27-2014, 05:21 PM
It seems like it was a lot easier back then to get speed/height... at least from watching that map.

They had the remake version of that map in T:A. Was good fun.

Yeah, the physics were changed with T:A. I think they're probably better with T:A though; it keeps the action more consistent.

And that map, Raindance, is probably the most iconic map in Tribes (at least for Tribes 1). My fondest gaming memories ever began in 1998 playing on that map because it's so well designed and balanced.

Vagitarian
04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the physics were changed with T:A. I think they're probably better with T:A though; it keeps the action more consistent.

And that map, Raindance, is probably the most iconic map in Tribes (at least for Tribes 1). My fondest gaming memories ever began in 1998 playing on that map because it's so well designed and balanced.

Damn brah, am jelly, srs...wish I could've experienced the original games.

Hitting your capping route perfectly on Raindance feels so hnnngggh...good map.

diplodocus
04-27-2014, 07:05 PM
anyone down to get raped by me in quake live??

Jrdath
04-27-2014, 07:12 PM
additionally, it's one of the most demanding (and rewarding) team-based games from its time. between the multiple loadouts (heavy, light, medium), different inventory setups, and literally 8+ different positions in a 10v10 game, the complexity of the game pretty much pushes it beyond the atypical "First-person-shooter"

Too long; didnt watch but:

cbRy-Ldzg0A

this is a 10v10 CTF game between two of the best clans at the time. It'll probably be boring to watch and/or make no sense but what's going on is quite interesting. The POV is from a "capper" a.k.a person who attempts to pickup the enemy flag and return it to the home base. You see him jetpack over hills and run around randomly but what's actually happening is that he is running a "route" which allows him to generate enough speed to swoop down on the enemy flag and get away.

In order to successfully grab a flag, which is guarded by a "Heavy-on-Flag" (quite literally, an opponent in fully heavy armor sitting on the flag defending it), he has to time his route precisely with his teammate's "Heavy Offense" Mortar to clear it for a split second.

Long story short, and nerd talk aside- it's a complex game that was way ahead of its time when it was released in 1998. One of the reasons the franchise is dying (or is already dead) is because it's not a simple game you can pickup. Simply getting used to jet-packing and "skiing down hills to generate speed" can take a while. Most people up until this point were used to running on the ground in FPSs. Tack on the many different maps, different positions, etc and you have a game that's not friendly for casual gamers. CoD is better in that respect.

Im not knocking CoD either- i loved MW1+2 for what they were; simple easy-to-pickup and mindless arcade style shooters.
You ever played Fallen Empire: Legions? Basically the spiritual successor to tribes. I was getting really good at cap routes and then the developers went belly up back in my junior year of HS. It was a real shame. Once you honed your skills it was very rewarding.

.aeterna
04-27-2014, 07:18 PM
You ever played Fallen Empire: Legions? Basically the spiritual successor to tribes. I was getting really good at cap routes and then the developers went belly up back in my junior year of HS. It was a real shame. Once you honed your skills it was very rewarding.

i heard a little bit about it...way back when.

watched a few clips on youtube and definitely impressed. it's very similar to the Tribes franchise. Really wish these types of CTF games caught on

cyde
04-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Heretic & Hexen were some of the toughest FPS games I've played. Probably because it was a puzzle/shooter. That feel when you were out of ammo from getting lost searching for the key.

shanedawg
04-27-2014, 07:46 PM
starcraft 2 :p

Theres some shooting in it but its an RTS lol

DESERPENTOR
04-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Tribes is still the best you can get the new version on steam.

Vagitarian
04-27-2014, 10:33 PM

i heard a little bit about it...way back when.

watched a few clips on youtube and definitely impressed. it's very similar to the Tribes franchise. Really wish these types of CTF games caught on

Y'all should check out Project Free Fall, it's super early in development, but basically a guy (and his dev team?) are trying to remake Tribes in the latest Unreal 4 or Unity engine, not sure... So I guess it's still quite a ways off.

www.youtube.com/user/ProjectFreeFallGame/videos

Also some modders from the Tribes Ascend community are hopefully going to come out with a free community run and moddable version of the game, since Hi-Rez abandoned it and some guy somehow managed to get his hands on the code of the game.

umadsgonnamad
04-27-2014, 10:47 PM
serious sam on serious difficulty

Babyframes
05-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Wish this was still alive:

http://www.maietgames.com/images/gunz_image.jpg

Makes every other shooter look like an absolute joke skill wise at the highest level.

Goatlord
05-15-2014, 12:06 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R series from all FPS shooters I played and it's not even close, even normal difficulty is brutal, surprised this thread is 3 pages long and nobody mentioned it yet. Then again I'm not really into shooters so what do I know.

HB0Y
05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
counter strike prob? well for me at least

lsiberian
05-15-2014, 12:20 PM
counter strike prob? well for me at least

LOL no. CS is only hard compared to COD. America's Army or Red Orchestra is definitely much harder IMO.

HB0Y
05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
LOL no. CS is only hard compared to COD. America's Army or Red Orchestra is definitely much harder IMO.

never heard of those games, but yea this is based on games i've played

lsiberian
05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
never heard of those games, but yea this is based on games i've played

Not sure anyone plays them anymore to be honest. Red Orchestra was an Eastern Front WW2 FPS. It is very realistic. If you get shot you die. America's Army is the U S Army training tool. You can't even shoot someone without following the rules of engagement. If you love FPS games check em out. My personal favorite FPS is GRAW, but it's old now too. Not really that hard, but a lot of fun. CS is what I played in high school kind of funny that it's still a GOAT game after all these years. You must play it at 800x600 to get the correct firing angles.

I will say those game are not nearly as fun as the arcade style. And difficulty is always relative. Doom 2 without cheat codes might be hard for some people.

DEMONlC
05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Op no such thing as HC shooter right now.

Quake 3 & UT 2004 crew checking in